Looking for characterbuilding advice

Theroc

First Post
Going to be playing an extremely low magic game where the DM has strongly encouraged players to use the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Basically, anything overtly magical would not be workable, but everything else is fair game. In my guesstimation that just eliminates a Swordsage.

My concept is a Gladiator styled character, fighting for glory in the arena or wherever he is, regardless of the rules of the fight.

32 point buy, all books open, anything not human in those books needs to be run past the DM in advance, any class that doesn't channel essentia/bind spirits/cast spells is fair game.

I'm considering a Warblade or Crusader. I'm wondering if the Crusader is a wise choice given the smaller discipline pool, and the fact that the DM may not like the Devoted Spirit path(due to the healing abilities)

Anyone have any basic hints or tips?

Jeffrie

First Post
Factotum uses very little magic, and could rock in a low magic game. Also, i think the marshal might be cool. He gets to add his charisma to everybody elses rolls.

Persiflage

First Post
Why is a Swordsage out of bounds? You're not obliged to select effects that are overtly magical, after all!

Anyway... why not go for a crazy-ass nonmagical battlefield controller? A race with the Powerful Build trait (Half-giant or Goliath for instance) wielding a large spiked chain with Improved Trip and similar. In a game where you can't use spells or item abilities to enhance, Monkey Grip could well prove worthwhile for even more cheesy goodness. Multiclass Barbarian (standard variation: Pounce won't count for much when you've got 20' reach), Crusader (for Thicket of Blades) and Warblade, and dip Fighter for extra feats.

Assuming, that is, that your DM doesn't use XP penalties for multiclassing ;)

Come to think of it, going with a race using LA will only be worth it if you're using buy-off, otherwise stick with a Human for the extra feat.

There's also much ugliness to be inflicted with a size Small character taking Giant Killing Style (awesome for ranged builds: not much else in ToB is!), although that takes a lot of focus.

Can you give us an idea about what sort of role you want to play? It'd help a lot :)

Theroc

First Post
Swordsage isn't out. But the overtly magical stuff is why I LIKED the swordsage. Without that, you're losing BAB to do things Warblade and Crusader could do. >.> Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture there though.

We're starting at level 1, so I don't think LA will work anyhow.

For what I want to play, I wasn't quite sure yet. As a Gladiator, the character would probably be proficient in multiple forms of combat. I was thinking perhaps trip/grapple(Using a maneuver for disarm to save a feat). Is a spiked chain worth the feat to get? The charop stuff I am reading seems to state otherwise(though I may go with the chain anyway, as an exotic weapon seems fitting for a gladiator)

radmod

First Post
Hmm, low magic. Can't channel?

Would the Vow of Poverty (from Book of Exalted Deeds) be acceptable? Just means you can't have magic items and you get a bunch of bennies. I'm just wondering if that breaks the idea of no magic, divine in this case.
Also kind of works with a historical Gladiator, IMO.

Theroc

First Post
Hmm, low magic. Can't channel?

Would the Vow of Poverty (from Book of Exalted Deeds) be acceptable? Just means you can't have magic items and you get a bunch of bennies. I'm just wondering if that breaks the idea of no magic, divine in this case.
Also kind of works with a historical Gladiator, IMO.

It would be, except it'd be hard to pull off when I wouldn't be allowed to use anything but simple weapons.

Persiflage

First Post
The advantage with a spiked chain is that it's a reach weapon you can use against adjacent opponents. I can't think of any other weapons that do the same... but hey, it's far from the only way to fly. From the sound of things you're not going to be able to get enchanted weapons to substitute: have I got that wrong?

+1 LA can be done starting from first level by taking a template class. Again, in the absence of magic it could well be more worthwhile than usual.

Theroc

First Post
I am guessing that such things would be EXTREMELY rare. I was told that a +3 Longsword would be something mighty. So, essentially, the wealth by level is scaled down significantly, and spellcasting is pretty much offlimits.

Remove ads