• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Looking for easy-to-run low level Fey/Feywild adventure

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Going to try to convince a friend of mine to run, and it would be even better if I had a suggestion of what to run that I've never played (so don't tell details). Time is limited, she's a teacher and school starts in about 5 weeks, so looking for a 3-4 session adventure. She quite likes the Fey and the Feywilds. She's a veteran roleplayer and quite familiar with 5e, but always on the player side of the screen. (And we've all played thought Lost Mines, which otherwise is a good first-time-DM adventure.)

EDIT: Rereading, I don't think I was clear that she'd be a first time DM ever. Not just first time DMing 5e. So looking for something easy to run.

So, what great adventures out there would you suggest for novice DM? Especially fey-themed ones.

Thanks!

Last edited:

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
It'd require conversion from 3.5/Pathfinder, but if you're into vengeful fey, it doesn't get better than Carnival of Tears. Ran this back in the day, bizarre and macabre. Otherwise, the adventure ideas and links from Nerdarchy's adventuring with Fey might be useful for a more Shakespearean fey rather than dark and demented ones (haven't run them, so can't say if the linked adventures are quality).

Blue

Besides Lost Mines of Phandelver, what's an easy-to-run adventure (3-4 sessions) for a first time DM? While Fey is a bonus, everything together to make running as easy as possible is first priority.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Wolfgang Baur is definitely a name with some geek cred. Fey is right on the money. How's it run for a novice DM?

It's more investigation based adventure which depending on style would make it easier or harder. The adventure is laid out / organized pretty well I think for a beginner DM. I found the adventure itself fun and has kind of a fairy tale type of vibe going for it. If she's a veteran RP'er, I think it is a solid choice.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Beyond The Crystal Cave is another good fey-like adventure for levels 4-6. It's a 1E module that you can pick up from DMs Guild for $5.00, and there's a 5E conversion someone made for $1.00 on there as well.

If she's a fan of the weirdness of Alice In Wonderland, then the 1E adventure Dungeonland would also fit the bill (also $5.00 on DMs Guild.)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Here are two that I've been looking at. Haven't run either one, though.

Seems a fairly straightforward "dungeon crawl" type adventure, so it should probably be easy for a first-time GM. Fey seem mostly malevolent in this one.

For level 4 or 5. More roleplay-heavy, with some benevolent fey.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I don't think I was clear that she'd be a first time DM ever. Not just first time DMing 5e. So looking for something easy to run.
Having looked more closely at "An Axe to Grind," I really think that will fit the bill. Not only is it a nice, straightforward dungeon crawl, but various elements (trap, treasure, combat, plot point) are clearly marked with symbols. Also, all the relevant information, such as trap DCs, is under each heading--not a lot of flipping around to find what you need.

Blue

Having looked more closely at "An Axe to Grind," I really think that will fit the bill. Not only is it a nice, straightforward dungeon crawl, but various elements (trap, treasure, combat, plot point) are clearly marked with symbols. Also, all the relevant information, such as trap DCs, is under each heading--not a lot of flipping around to find what you need.
Excellent, thanks a lot @jayoungr ! And that's just the right amount of detail to let me know it's paying attention and laying things out well for the DM without spoilers since I'll be a player.

Remove ads