Looking for item creation rules

jaults

First Post
I am looking for something to put in a specific location -- in this case a cave with connections to the elemental plane of earth -- where characters can create their own item by investing their own XP, gold and time. This would be a one time thing, where a PC could enchant a new item or upgrade an existing item.

I swear that I remember seeing... something, somewhere in my huge pile of 3E books/PDFs rules for something similar to this idea.

Anyone have any clues where, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

Jhaelen

First Post
Anyone have any clues where, or have any other suggestions?
Hmm, magical locations were a pretty late invention in 3E. I think they were introduced in DMG2 (or PHB2?). I definitely remember some being in Complete Psion. Complete Mage and probably Complete Champion may also have some. That's the books I'd search first.

jaults

First Post
Hmm, magical locations were a pretty late invention in 3E. I think they were introduced in DMG2 (or PHB2?). I definitely remember some being in Complete Psion. Complete Mage and probably Complete Champion may also have some. That's the books I'd search first.
Thanks, but not quite what I wanted... In the magical locations from the DMG2, the PC does something and gets some very specific benefit (+1 caster level for Necromancy spells, or the ability to cast the dream spell, for instance). I am looking for something where, say, the PC thrusts her +1 longsword into the rift in the wall, (along with x GP worth of precious gems, I suppose) and when she draws her sword out, it has become a +1 Outsider (Air) Bane longsword, and she is down y XP. Meanwhile, one of her companions takes a +1 buckler and turns it into a +1 Blinding buckler and another takes a suit of +1 chain and turns it into a set of +1 Spellwarding chain.

Essentially, getting the items they want without going to a "magic store" or finding a sage to do the work for them, but also without them having a bunch of lesser items to sell off -- they can't get something from nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

shadyizok

Explorer
Hmm I don't think there's a 3.5 book that mentions such a site. However you could easely just comeup with it right? What excactly is the problem?
It seems like a fairly simple concept, just go with it.
However it is a boon to your players in such a way that they just got access to free item creation feats, prerequiste spells and prerequisite caster levels for creating magic items (which is way cheaper) and they should be penalized for it in some other way. For example by getting less treasure :D

Remove ads