• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Lycanthropes

Karimere

First Post
Hi all

My next D&D campaign is going to have a fair number of lycanthropes in it, mainly the classic versions i.e. werewolves, wererats, etc.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a thread or source of stated out characters that are lycanthropes?

The campaign world has three moons and therefore nine full moon days per month just to make life intersting

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Karimere

Voadam

Legend
IDA has a pdf product called Lunar knights that is mostly various sample lycanthropes of different kinds plus a few feats, prcs, and some fluff. I think it is 3.0 though so it uses that version of the template.

Land Outcast

Explorer
I feel like creating... Perhaps three or four NPCs.

Which kind of lycanthropes do you need?
Class? Race? Afflicted or Natural Lycan? (It'll help if you're specific)

Vanuslux

Explorer
Voadam said:
IDA has a pdf product called Lunar knights that is mostly various sample lycanthropes of different kinds plus a few feats, prcs, and some fluff. I think it is 3.0 though so it uses that version of the template.

I wrote a review for Lunar Knights a long time ago. Though I didn't give it the most flattering review, its still probably the one PDF product I ever bought that I keep wishing for a revision for. Good ideas, weak execution. Clean up the crunch, fluff up the fluff a bit, and it would rule. In it's current form it would be hard to recommend...it feels like a rough first draft of a potentially great product.

Or Sean Reynolds Curse of the Moon pdf... doesn't have stated out Lycanthropes but turns the template problem into a series of feats..which makes it much easier to generate afflicted characters.

mearls

Hero
In my current campaign, I've used a lot of wererats. Rather than deal with a template, I made a new critter as the base wererat and then slap levels on it for tougher versions. I also don't want the hassles of lycanthropy, so I just cut it out as a communicable disease. IMC, werecreatures are separate races, not cursed or diseased individuals.

Wererat CR 2
Usually NE Medium Monstrous Humanoid (shapechanger)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., scent, low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +7
Languages Common
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14
hp 22 (4 HD); fast healing 5
Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +5
Weakness silver vulnerability
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); climb 20 ft.
Melee short sword +7 (1d6+1) and
bite +5 (1d4)
Ranged sling +7 (1d4+1)
Space 5 ft; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +4; Grp +5
Atk Options sneak attack +1d6
Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 12

Feats Multiattack, Weapon Finesse

Skills: Balance +5, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +3, Disguise +7 (+9 acting), Escape Artist +9, Hide +9, Intimidate +3, Jump +3, Listen +7, Move Silently +9, Spot +7, Tumble +9, Use Rope +3

Possessions: Short sword, sling, 10 bullets, leather armor

Alternate Forms (Ex): A wererat can take the form of a human, a rat-human hybrid, or a rat. In human form, it has the special ability of looking like a normal person. In hybrid form, it gains a climb speed and a bite attack. In rat form, it becomes size Tiny. It can't attack, but it gains a +20 bonus to speed. To keep things simple, its gear shifts with it. Shifting form is a swift action that the wererat can perform once per round.

Silver Vulnerability (Ex): The wererat's fast healing does not apply to damage from silver weapons.

Trust Me (Ex): Anyone attempting to use a spell or ability that detects alignment must make a Sense Motive check opposed by the wererat's Bluff. On a failed check, the wererat detects as neutral.

Wererat Rogue CR 4
Usually NE Medium Monstrous Humanoid (shapechanger)
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft., scent, low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +7
Languages Common
AC 19, touch 15, flat-footed 14
hp 36 (6 HD); fast healing 5
Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7
Evasion
Weakness silver vulnerability
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); climb 20 ft.
Melee short sword +10 (1d6+1) and
bite +8 (1d4)
Ranged sling +9 (1d4+1)
Space 5 ft; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +4; Grp +5
Atk Options sneak attack +2d6
Abilities Str 12, Dex 20, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 12

Feats Acrobatic Strike, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse

Skills: Balance +7, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +5, Disguise +9 (+11 acting), Escape Artist +11, Hide +11, Intimidate +5, Jump +5, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Spot +9, Tumble +14, Use Rope +5

Possessions: Short sword, sling, 10 bullets, leather armor

Acrobatic Strike: Avoid target's attack of opportunity via tumble, gain +6 on next attack against him.

Karimere

First Post
Hi all

Many thanks for the feedback, I will look at the products you have all mentioned to see what is likely to be my best option.

Land Outcast if you are still feeling inclined to create a few characters the following would be appreciated:

Werewolf fighter or barbarian about 8th level (possibly elven or human) afflicted
Wererat monk would be interesting about 5th level (human) afflicted
Wererat sorcerer / rogue 4/7 level to be used as the head of a thieves guild. (human) natural

Mearls

Your wererats are cool, a nice alternative to the usual concept, I will put them to good use as members of the thieves guild, the Trust Me abilitiy is a fantastic idea!

Many thanks for all the help

Karimere

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
Had a pair of minutes and decided to start with the monk,
Important: Will it fight alone or along other thieve's guild people?
(If he fights along rogues Ability Focus (Stunning Fist) becomes far more useful than Snatch Arrows, given that Stunned characters are subject to Sneak Attack)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads