Looking for new fantasy RPG - story & roleplay oriented !

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Maybe the LEJENDARY ADVENTURE RPG...

Hi Shadowlord;)

This thread was called to the attention of my Games List, and one of the members thereof who isn't on EN World responded with the following:

"Lejendary Adventure truly sounds like the perfect RPG for this guy. It's pretty fast to learn, (especially if you have already played D&D or a similar RPG), and the rules are enough so that you can run your world, but don't have to constantly refer back to them because you forget all the little details. Combat runs fairly fast and is intuitive once you get going.

"As for roleplaying, Lejendary Adventure features background and character development as one of the twelve steps to creating an Avatar, your character. Since LA is a skill based system, Avatar creation is extremely flexible, particularly for human Avatars. Not only that, but classes do not exist. Recognizing the need some players have for archetypes, Gary created "Orders" which give certain benefits to Avatars once they have played long enough, and these Orders serve as classes of sorts. Avatars may also opt to be Unordered, and they still receive certain benefits once they have played long enough.

"Lejendary Adventure has the same sort of classical Medieval/Early Renaissance feel to it that D&D has, so it sounds like it is good for Shadowlord in that regard."

FWIW,
Gary

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

I would like to second all of the recommendations for LA. It seems to have all of the elements you are looking for -- rules light, emphasizing role playing, etc. There is already a free quick start guide as mentioned before, on-line support at www.lejendary.com and Dragonsfoot (among other places), many published modules released (with others on the way), and a campaign world (Lejendary Earth).

Mike

tetsujin28

First Post
If your players are willing to go with the game's central conceit, Pendragon is tops. Runequest has had its fans (myself included) for 25 years. If you want to go rules-lite, Big Eyes Small Mouth can do a kick-ass fantasy campaign. If your're willing to do tons of work, Fantasy Hero can be quite rewarding.

I never saw any LA books in store. Can you tell me of its world? Is it a humorous world or a serious one? Any orcs, elves etc...? What's really going on?

The same for Pendragon: never saw it. Can you describe the world too?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Shadowlord said:
I never saw any LA books in store. Can you tell me of its world? Is it a humorous world or a serious one? Any orcs, elves etc...? What's really going on?

Hi Shadowlord:)

The LA game products aren't carried in many shops, but most will order them if you ask, for the line is carried by most major distributors. Online it is available from several places, including www.RPGme.com

The LA game world is the LEJENDARY EARTH setting, this being still in process of publication, one part published, one near publication, and three to come. The world is serious, not comedic. It is human dominated but has large numbers of human-like races including various kinds of elfs and orcs, note quite like the presentation found in other game systems. The Avatar (Character) races of non-human sort are:
Dwarf
Gnome
Ilf (a rustic sort of elf)
Kobold (smart, fast, tough)
Oaf (typical and major)
Orc (great, ordinary, lesser)
Trollkin (annoying chaotic sorts)
Veshoges (the Ferengi of the world)
Wylfs (grotto and thicket, wild elves)

The QUICK START RULES free download pdf pretty well surveys the major aspects of how the game system plays;)

Cheers,
Gary

Well, if the books are so hard to get, how will you ever have luck in finding players?!

I think I'll have to stay with D&D and not take it too seriously. There are so many books, but many are... crap. Really, they aren't any guarantee to improve your game. To the contrary, they could become a nuisance, a restriction from good & spontaneous play.
The entire d20 management and how they wanna make it popular has ruined the real values of RPG.

I'm not gonna try WoT since I never read those novels (not planning neither). I'm gonna wait for DL though since FR has fallen under the same disease as D&D.

What I'd like to try though would be Discworld RPG. That would be fun! It exists for GURPS but I'm not gonna launch myself in another unending line of books. Are there any other systems that DW is run by?

Ron

Explorer
Shadowlord said:
[...]
What I'd like to try though would be Discworld RPG. That would be fun! It exists for GURPS but I'm not gonna launch myself in another unending line of books. Are there any other systems that DW is run by?

GURPS Discworld contains all rules necessary to play it. You don't need to buy additional GURPS books. However, if you're looking for a less serious setting, I would recomend The Dying Earth Roleplaying game. It's an easy to play game based in the novels of the same name by Jack Vance. Dungeons & Dragons magic system was taken from this novels and some spells even mantained their original name, such as The Excellent Prismatic Spray. Not only the novels are very funny, but the game rules also captures this perfectly, forcing the players characters to behave against their players' better judgement.

tetsujin28

First Post
Shadowlord said:
Also known as King Arthur Pendragon, it's designed to replicate the feel of the Arthurian tales. And it's tops, if I may say so myself. Be warned: I worked on it :D Some people find the Trait and Passion systems "deterministic", but that's only if they're used incorrectly.

Remove ads