Looking for other games like A Quiet Year

Inglorin

Explorer
Hiho,
Last week I played A Quiet Year for the first time and now I am looking for other games where the creation of a map is central to the RPG experience.

Any ideas?

Inglorin

Explorer
What do you mean by creation of a map?
In "The Quiet Year" by Avery Alder all players are creating the map of the game together. Placing scenery and important places, projects the characters are creating and story hooks on the map with the support of the game's rules.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In "The Quiet Year" by Avery Alder all players are creating the map of the game together. Placing scenery and important places, projects the characters are creating and story hooks on the map with the support of the game's rules.
Could you give an example? I'm not sure I follow your meaning. :)

Fireball36

Explorer
"The Quiet Year" looks like a board game although the players draw their own map based on actions set forth by the game and a deck of 52 cards that correspond to the 52 weeks of the year. The period is set in a time right after a long war and before a major calamity.

So I will just throw out the suggestions of the board games "Carcassonne" and "The Settlers of Catan", which both involve making a map out of tiles that you put down. You want to build roads, buildings and settlements with the goal of having the most resources before the time period is over.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
@Inglorin There's a free older (2004?) informal/indie game called Dawn of Worlds in which players take the role of gods creating and shaping a world over a series of historical eras. It can still be found here:
I've never played it, but it always seemed to me like a fun way to spend a game night.

There was a great storytelling game by Paddy Hutchinson that revolves around a map of a salt trading route that you generate, called The Salt Traders. It's pay-what-you-want:

Justin Quirit's Orichalcum is a map-making game about an exiled people rediscovering the lost empire beneath the waves that once oppressed them. Well worth USD5.

Jamila R. Nedjadi, one of my favourite game designers, created a map-drawing game based on A Quiet Year, but inspired by the settings of cozy games like Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing. It's pay-what-you-want:

Last year, Elisha Rusli and I designed a micro-game called Ech0 that revolves around telling a story about exploring a mecha graveyard, and drawing its map. You can find the free text demo as well as the paid version here:

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Hiho,
Last week I played A Quiet Year for the first time and now I am looking for other games where the creation of a map is central to the RPG experience.

Any ideas?
I can't answer your question directly, sorry. But an RPG that uses card draws to generate key elements of the fiction - not a map, but antagonists, protagonists and the background elements of the setting - is Vincent Baker's In a Wicked Age. If you don't already know it you might find it interesting and/or fun.

Padmewan

Villager
Bird, Beak, and Feather is one that was recommended to me, but I haven't tried yet. Seems to follow the same concept of building a society using a map.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases