Looking for some good adventure modules

Libramarian

Adventurer
I'm looking for a few modules to smush together into an AD&D campaign.

To give an idea of what I am looking to do, I had success earlier this year combining U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh with L1 Secret of Bone Hill, using Restenford for Saltmarsh. This gave me a town, a quest, a dungeon, and a wilderness area with optional encounters/lairs. I made up a few additional intrigues during play: the merchant selling exotic goods ended up being in league with the smugglers, a mysterious figure offered a contract to the party's assassin to take out the Baron of Restenford, Pellitar the sorcerer traded with the party for magic items. It was a good time (if a bit on the bland side in terms of flavor).

Later the party travelled to the X1 Isle of Dread, which I combined with I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City and C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan for another sandbox area, which didn't work as well, I think mostly because it was just too much content crammed together 1000 miles away from civilization. And also because X1 and I1 are overrated (IMO) and didn't really fit together as well as I thought. So we petered out around 6th level and now everyone wants to start over somewhere else with new PCs.

As a side note -- has anyone else noticed that the bland "standard medieval fantasy" adventures tend to play better than they read? I was not very impressed at all with L1 Secret of Bone Hill reading it, but it was a lot of fun in play. It's a lot like B2 Keep on the Borderlands in that respect. Whereas the weirder fantasy modules have been hit or miss. I appreciate when adventures don't skip the mundane details.

So I'm looking for adventure modules, bonus points if they have some connection or otherwise work well together. I'm also looking for the semi-obscure (i.e. none of the ones I have mentioned so far, or anything from the TAGDQ series). At the same time only semi-obscure, so I have a chance of acquiring it. :)

Recommendations from Dragon/Dungeon/White Dwarf/OSR stuff also welcome. Except for The Grinding Gear, I've already used that one. Thanks!

Quickleaf

Legend
I've always thought L-2: Assassin's Knot was a decent murder mystery that had lots of potential for being tweaked into whatever campaign idea the DM had.

Unfortunately, I never experienced a ton of modules that other players did, so that about as exotic an answer as you will get from me I'm afraid.

nijineko

Explorer
have you ever tried following the series through? i usually take an entire series arc, like the i-series, or the l-series, or the t-series and sprinkle in bits and pieces from other random modules as flavor here and there. maybe blatantly swap out an encounter or portion of a location with another more interesting one.

Stormonu

Legend
I'd suggest running N1 - Cult of the Reptile God followed by A1-A4 (The Slaver Series). However, there is a level gap between the two modules. You could possibly fill them with UK2 - Sentinel and UK3 - Gauntlet (or any other module that would advance the characters to 2nd and 3rd level).

Quickleaf

Legend
I'd suggest running N1 - Cult of the Reptile God followed by A1-A4 (The Slaver Series). However, there is a level gap between the two modules. You could possibly fill them with UK2 - Sentinel and UK3 - Gauntlet (or any other module that would advance the characters to 2nd and 3rd level).

I have fond memories of playing tthe A series as a boy :) But I never played N1, how was it?

Halivar

First Post
I started with T1, which is perfect because it starts at level 1. It was a fantastic starting place for learning AD&D, and I'm having a blast running the rest of the ToEE.

Stormonu

Legend
I have fond memories of playing tthe A series as a boy :) But I never played N1, how was it?

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to finish it (damn players keep dying), but what I have played was pretty good. It has a somewhat cthulhu/invasion of the pod people feel to it.

Another wat to put it: village of hommlett, with a well-defined plot.

Libramarian

Adventurer
As I mentioned in the OP (I'm picky I know :p) I'm not looking for anything in the T series, A series, G, D or Q series.

I've also already run N1, and although we didn't actually get to L2 as a sequel to L1 I prepped it and foreshadowed it a bit, so I don't really want to use it somewhere else.

I have UK1 and UK4, and they're interesting although they're a bit more plot-oriented and don't bother to detail the associated towns and non-essential NPCs. They don't have a "home base" in other words. Maybe I could combine them with UK2 and UK3. They're all for the sameish level range but I could reduce the treasure a bit. Seems like the UK modules would work well together in terms of flavor, so that's a possibility.

I've read a few old threads about Dragon/Dungeon/White Dwarf adventures and made a list of the ones mentioned, maybe this will jog someone's memory?

White Dwarf
WD9 Lichway
WD18 Halls of Tizun Thane
WD23 Hive of the Hrr'l
WD24 Lair Of Maldred The Mighty
WD38 Faerie Denizens
WD68 Star Of Darkness
WD74 Terror at Trollmarsh

Dragon
The Chapel of Silence D50
Fedefinsor D67
Citadel by the Sea D78
Ruins of Andril D81

Dungeon
Into the Fire #1
Assault on Eddistone Point #1
The Keep at Koralgesh #2
Falcon's Peak #3
The Wounded Worm #8
Wards of the Witching Ways #10
Ruins of Nol Daer #13
Out of the Ashes #17
Tallow's Deep #18
Chadranther's Bane #18
Ancient Blood #20
Mightier than the Sword #29
The Siege of Kratys Freehold #33
The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb #37
Deadly Treasure #41
King Oleg's Dilemma #43
Iron Orb of the Duergar #46
Training Ground #67
Kingdom of the Ghouls #70
Winter's Tapestry #78

Anybody have any thoughts on using 4 or 5 of these together?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Well, Into the Fire & Out of the Ashes can go together of course. Most of the others I recognize there are pretty self contained. That doesn't mean it's impossible to mix them together however. Most have antagonistic powers that would interact with each other if placed in the same world. You could functionally do that and then progress a potential timeline forward to see how well 4 or 5 of them mix.

Most of the dungeon adventures listed are middle high to high level. I didn't think you were looking for those. White Dwarf I have the compilation of, but if you don't they would be harder to acquire. I'm not as familiar with those, but Halls of Tizun Thane is a big underground campaign at least environmentally similar to Kingdom of the Ghouls. Can't say quite how good it is.

For a low level adventure look at Trouble at Grog's in Dungeon 4. There are plenty of good one's you've not listed.

Remove ads