• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for some thoughts on a "magic" item I came up with

Tao_Tzu

Explorer
THE HAND OF GRAY SAND
Technological Device, unique (requires attunement)

Made of silvery gray, slightly grainy, metallic goo, this artificial hand grafts itself to your arm, becoming a functioning appendage and reshaping itself to replace the one that was lost. Alternatively, it flows over your hand, sheathing it like a skin-tight glove, painlessly anchoring itself to (and replacing) the tissue beneath. Regardless, this unique, technological device serves as a prosthetic hand with a couple of added features.
...It has 10 charges and regains 1 expended charge after 8 hours. If the last charge is expended, however, roll a d20. On a 1, the hand turns to dust and is destroyed.
...Gravity Beam. While it is bonded to you, you can use your bonus action to expend a charge to fire a focused beam of gravitons from your palm at a Large or smaller target within 120 feet. When you do so, select one of the following effects:
...Extreme Gravity. The target must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the target is knocked prone and restrained, slowed and pinned to the ground by tremendous gravitational forces. It is treated as weighing five times as much as normal, and affected creatures are considered heavily encumbered, resulting in a decrease in speed by 20 feet (even without being restrained), and disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use Strength or Dexterity. The target can, however, make a DC 15 Strength saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
....Heavy Gravity. The target must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the target is slowed by the effects of heavy gravity, reducing their speed, jumping distances, and the range of non-energy-based weapons, by half, and suffering a - 2 penalty to AC and attack rolls, as well as Strength and Dexterity checks and saving throws. Affected creatures and objects weigh twice as much as normal, which may cause targets to become heavily encumbered. In addition, affected creatures cannot use reactions, and can only use an action OR bonus action on their turn, not both, and can't make more than one melee or ranged attack during their turn. However, as affected objects are now twice their previous weight, such [non-energy-based] attacks deal an additional 1d4 damage. An affected creature can make a DC 15 Strength saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

....Low Gravity. The target must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the target is affected by a feather fall and haste-like effect, dramatically decreasing its weight (to about 1/8th its actual value), granting the target a rate of descent of 60 feet per round (rather than the standard 500), as well as doubling the target's speed (and jumping distances), and granting a + 2 bonus to AC, and advantage on Dexterity checks and saving throws.

....Tractor Beam. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be pulled towards the hand at a rate of 60 feet per round. Alternatively, you can target a secured object or surface (such as a wall or ceiling) and pull YOURSELF closer to IT.

...The beam lasts as long as you maintain concentration, up to 1 minute, forming a sustained line of pale blue-gray energy between you and the target. Should another creature or object get in the way of the beam, it becomes the new target. Also, should the target move out of range, or you use your prosthetic hand to perform another action that interrupts the gravity beam, such as making a fist or drawing a weapon, the effect immediately ends.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I do not see the intend behind it? I would have the recharge like other items where you gain something like 1d6 charges per day rather than 1 every 8 hours. I also do not see the big difference between heavy gravity and extreme gravity. I like the low gravity power where you can feather fall and such though. The tractor beam power is kind of powerful if I can use it to pull myself over pits and such like Spider Man.

Overall I find it rather powerful since I can use it to cripple the BBEG and just shoot if to death. Maybe if the arrows shot into the gravity field fall to the ground harmlessly it is better, but I am having a hard time seeing what its main cool reason for making it is.

Remove ads