Looking for something new

velkymx

Explorer
Hey everyone!

I'm itching for a new RPG campaign, but the usual suspects are feeling a bit stale. We want something fresh and exciting, but without the headache of complex rules. I'm open to any system ideas, big or small, old or new, and I'd like to ease the players into the lore.

Here's the gist:
  • Easy to Learn: No one wants a rule book coma! It would be great if it had some super consistency across the rules. 1/2 page cheat sheet would be ok.
  • Story-Focused: Epic moments, player agency, and plot twists galore!
  • Light on Rules: Dice are fun, spreadsheets are not!
  • No Maps Needed: Theatre of the mind for vivid storytelling!
  • GM Friendly: Easy prep for epic adventures!
Bonus Points:
  • Genre Mashup: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, or a wild mix?
  • Flexible Play: One-shots or sprawling campaigns!
Anyone got recommendations? System name, why it rocks, and maybe a crazy story would be awesome!

P.S. Love Rifts lore, but character creation takes forever!
P.P.S. DungeonWorld so far has checked these boxes, but I'm having a hard time getting player engagement. My table just isn't into it!

Longspeak

Adventurer
Girl by Moonlight, Evil Hat's gorgeous take on the Magical Girl genre, built on the Blades in the Dark.

Or go older than Dungeon World and it's Apocalypse roots with Baker's pinnacle achievement, Dogs in the Vineyard. The premise might put some folk off but it's absolutely worth it to get past it and engage with mechanic that work with and help drive the conflict.

dbm

Savage!
I would say Savage Worlds ticks your boxes pretty well. The core book is pretty compact at about 200 ‘graphic novel’ pages. The system is super flexible in terms of genre support. The default feel is pulp but that could be sci-fi, fantasy, supers etc and you can easily tune that up or down with a sprinkling of ‘setting rules’ that can be applied to specific campaigns.

PCs are capable out of the gate, but progress is flatter so they don’t reach the levels of extreme ability that classic d20 can bring. Bennies give a degree of plot armour and narrative control while the optional ‘adventure deck’ put significant random narrative control into player hands on a one-per-session basis. We love the twists that this brings while avoiding the free-for-all that narrative control might otherwise descend into.

The marginal fit is theatre of the mind, only in so much as minis are presumed but not essential. Many people run Savage Worlds theatre of the mind successfully.

GM prep is really easy, with huge amounts of support available. Savage Worlds is definitely top-tier in terms of support, both adventures and campaigns.

Bonus-bonus: there is an official Savage Rifts implementation.

Spend a buck over at Humble Bundle right now and get the WFRP 4e Starter Set plus some extras. You get some decent pregens, a few starter adventures, and the first book of a monster campaign. Fairly straightforward system, combat only involves a single role each, TotM play is no problem, and you can easily upgrade your donation to get the full campaign (and full rulebook) if you like it.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Spend a buck over at Humble Bundle right now and get the WFRP 4e Starter Set plus some extras. You get some decent pregens, a few starter adventures, and the first book of a monster campaign. . .
Or save that buck and get Microlite20 for free. Light rules means light DM load.

Although I did just check out a hardcover Dragonbane yesterday, which included a smattering of monsters and starter adventure. The book has heft, but the monsters' short character sheets suggest that combat is simple and GM-friendly.

grankless

Adventurer
Check out Armour Astir: Advent or Songs for the Dusk - both games blend science fiction and fantasy in fun ways (Armour Astir being a high fantasy game of mechs and revolution, and Songs for the Dusk being a science fantasy game about developing a community amidst the threats of the post-post-apocalypse). PBTA and Forged in the Dark respectively, though Armour Astir is on the crunchier side of PBTA games.

Are superhero games an acceptable option? If so, I'll recommend the Sentinel Comics RPG as a good fit for the stated parameters.

It's a bit of a deceptive game in some ways - big 425+ page book, over a quarter of that tied to detailing the company setting (which essentially carries the card game timeline forward past the Oblivaeon boxed set), and huge blocks of space devoted to what look like complex character generation tables for both heroes and villains. Sounds all wrong for an easy to learn, quick-playing, versatile system, right?

When you actually dig into it, you'll discover that what real complexity there is mostly gets front-loaded into session zero. The character generation system takes up a ton of pages and is a bit time consuming, but it's broken up into five stages with a limited number of actual choices from limited menus in each stage so analysis paralysis is minimized and once you're done with your character sheet you're never going to look at any of this stuff during play, and only rarely as characters grow and change over time.

With the PCs made, their players really only need to understand about fifteen pages worth of game mechanics - and that count includes actual play examples. Once you get used to what the six basic actions let you do and how your abilities modify them you'll only rarely need to look at anything that isn't on your character sheet, and you can build a very cheat sheet just by copying over the boost/hinder/overcome results charts (which use the same numerical brackets for results) onto your PC sheet or an index card, maybe adding the mechanics for minions and lieutenants and your own GYRO zone tracker with a paper clip as well.

The GM has a little more to deal with in terms of reading, but again most of its only gets referenced in prep and won't be needed in play. Unless you play very long (6+ hours) sessions you'll probably only need to prep one-three action scenes at a time, and if things go in unexpected directions slapping an impromptu one together on the fly isn't hard - certainly easier than in most games I've run. When you're at the table the simplified mechanics for NPCs (especially minions) make it easy to handle their actions, leaving you time to be descriptive about introducing twists (environmental or otherwise) and explaining non-combat challenges that need to be overcome.

The game engine also isn't at all tied to the Sentinels setting, and can easily be adapted to homebrews or other published comics (eg Marvel or DC). When the game was new fan base produced quite a few very unofficial ports for published characters, most of which can still be found online, although not on the company forum. There are also hundreds if not thousands of homebrew villains out there if you don't feel inspired to create your own or just want some mechanics to re-skin - my own blog's got 250 of them, and there are many more on the GTG forum.

Sales pitch aside, there are a couple of potential deal-killers with the game. First, it's really written with the expectation that you'll have at least 4 players, and doesn't scale downward from there particularly well. Three PCs is barely doable, two is a serious strain, and doing one-on-one just doesn't work without modifying things. Second, you may find it increasingly difficult to challenge players meaningfully once they start reaching double-digit collection counts, which happens after 60 or so sessions and gets steadily worse as the count climbs, so a bit over a year of weekly play. That may not be good for you depending on how long a campaign you want, and I've yet to see a good solution to tweaking scene design rules for "high level" play.

Other than that I think this fills your request pretty perfectly. Worth a look, anyway. If you wind up tweaking it to use for the Rifts setting (which is honestly no weirder than most superhero games) I'd be curious to see how it came out.

innerdude

Legend
Ironsworn: Starforged.

It is desigend as a solo rpg, but is totally playable with a group and GM and those solo tools mean it is essentially prep free and the GM gets to be just as surprised as the players.

Seconded. Both Starforged and its predecessor Ironsworn fit your requirements to a T.

I too struggled with Dungeon World. Ironsworn is partially based on DungeonWorld, but has a better, more interesting core mechanic, and adds some additional rules layers that make it more fun and easier to get into scenes and characters, IMHO.

And like @Reynard says, don't think it's just for solo play. It is fantastic for group play as well, though typically a smaller group than normal. 4 PCs at the most, and 3 PCs is probably ideal.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hey everyone!

I'm itching for a new RPG campaign, but the usual suspects are feeling a bit stale. We want something fresh and exciting, but without the headache of complex rules. I'm open to any system ideas, big or small, old or new, and I'd like to ease the players into the lore.

Here's the gist:
  • Easy to Learn: No one wants a rule book coma! It would be great if it had some super consistency across the rules. 1/2 page cheat sheet would be ok.
  • Story-Focused: Epic moments, player agency, and plot twists galore!
  • Light on Rules: Dice are fun, spreadsheets are not!
  • No Maps Needed: Theatre of the mind for vivid storytelling!
  • GM Friendly: Easy prep for epic adventures!
Bonus Points:
  • Genre Mashup: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, or a wild mix?
  • Flexible Play: One-shots or sprawling campaigns!
Anyone got recommendations? System name, why it rocks, and maybe a crazy story would be awesome!

P.S. Love Rifts lore, but character creation takes forever!
P.P.S. DungeonWorld so far has checked these boxes, but I'm having a hard time getting player engagement. My table just isn't into it!
IMO, you're asking for an OSR/NSR game.

With the genre mashup qualifier, I'd say to check out Mothership or Vast Grimm.

Remove ads