• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lord of the Rings - Return to Middle Earth

Eternalknight

First Post
On Australian TV tonight there was a preview of the Two Towers. At the end they showed a three minute clip of the new movie. The scene was from the part where the Rohan are travelling to Helms Deep and the Orcs attack. Legolas is standing on a hill shooting arrows down upon the enemy from a fair distance... the Riders of Rohan then come riding past and you should see the way Legolas mounts his horse! Man, if he were a D&D character his Dex would be off the charts!

(Sorry, was a cool clip. Can't wait to see the rest of it!)

durath

First Post
Yep, that was kewl!!!

They showed that here in the states last week I think. I was friggin cheering in my living room when they showed that clip.

I don't mind getting my hopes up for this movie because it will be the greatest one ever made(up until RotK comes out). :D

Yep legolas would have an awesome dex but he only needed to hit a DC 20 ride check to do that trick. It was just awesome seeing what I think the vast majority of D&D players would call the quintessential example of a fast mount use of the ride skill.

durath

First Post
details? OK.

There was a special on T.V. about The Tow Towers. At the end of the special there was a clip from the movie a couple of minutes long.

SPOILERS

Well, not really but just in case I figured I'd warn people.

The scene being discussed is one in which the people of Rohan are heading towards Helm Deep when they are beset by a group of goblins riding Wargs. Legolas is standing on top of a small hill as the wargs are charging. He is hitting his enemies from pretty good distances showing his skill as a marksman yet again.

Meanwhile the warriors of Rohan head into the fight on horseback. As Gimli's horse charges towards the wargs it passes close-by to Legolas. Legolas grabs hold of the reigns as the horse charges by. He then proceeds to use the horses momentum to flip himself around the front of the horse and up into the saddle behind Gimli.

Words can't do it justice. I know this scene was not in the books but it was still darn impressive. It really is an awesome scene. Just a few more days.........

Sulimo

First Post
Yeah. It was nice. Michael Rosenbaum drove me up the wall with his constant use of 'Rohans' rather than 'Rohirrim'. Someone ought to string up the writer.

Orius

Legend
Eternalknight said:
On Australian TV tonight there was a preview of the Two Towers.

That was on American TV about a week an a half ago, I think.

Though if it's any consolation, it was on the WB, which is a lesser-watched network.

At the end they showed a three minute clip of the new movie. The scene was from the part where the Rohan are travelling to Helms Deep and the Orcs attack. Legolas is standing on a hill shooting arrows down upon the enemy from a fair distance... the Riders of Rohan then come riding past and you should see the way Legolas mounts his horse! Man, if he were a D&D character his Dex would be off the charts!

He's an elf. That's +2 to Dex. :)

Shadowdancer

First Post
This is one of the things that will make this movie so enjoyable -- the development of the characters and their abilities. In the first movie, we got to see some of that, but not alot. By necessity, they had to spend so much time establishing the backstory, then getting the ring to Rivendell, then getting the fellowship underway that the characters introduced midway through the movie -- Legolas, Gimli -- weren't as developed as some others.

With less storytelling pressure in the next two movies, the filmmakers can explore the characters and Middle-earth in more depth and detail. Not that there won't be a story, but it won't have to dominate the movie.

I can't wait for Wednesday. I have a ticket to the very first showing I could find -- 12:01 a.m. Central Time at a theater 45 minutes away from my house, but I don't care. I'm usually up until 5 a.m. anyway, and I just have to see it at the soonest possible opportunity.

Remove ads