Lore Isn't Important

As a DM
1. I find lore inspirational.
2. Lore can assist in the consistency of the storytelling.
3. The availability of lore (especially after 5 editions) provides assistance for in-game research.
4. Lore can set tone/theme of the campaign.

And then you have some players that like lore.

Last edited:

Lore fills the gaps that I don't feel like filling.

I would never try to follow the lore for the established D&D settings- I'm not interested in trying to remain faithful to whatever novel they are trying to sell.

Scribe

Legend
giphy.gif

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I like lore a lot, it's the cornerstone of my GMing (and one of the primary causes of it too), a lot of the positive feedback I get is that it feels like everything in my world goes deep, like if they question something, there's a good reason and set of connections that underlie it. Similarly, I really value exploration conceptually-- I like secrets and uncovering mysteries tucked into the game world and setting material. I like the idea that my players can trust that they can ask questions authentically, confident that there will be an interesting answer for them.

If anything, I think people get too wrapped up in plot, but the medium actively works against well-structured storytelling, I think games largely succeed more as spaces rife with narrative, where the story is a series of events that happened in retrospect as we interacted with that space.

Bedrockgames

I post in the voice of Christopher Walken
Lore can be significant, important but also something you change to fit your table. I think when you run an existing setting it isn’t do much about adhering to lore but curating it. A lot of people for instance like a particular era of a settings development but don’t use things that came earlier or later in the line. It should definitely not be a straight jacket

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads