TSR Lorraine Williams, unfairly lambasted?

Zardnaar

Legend
You are glossing over the fact that Williams owned the company for almost TWELVE years. Yeah, Gygax was a terrible businessman, but I don't think he deserves any blame for the collapse of TSR over a decade after his departure.

Groundwork was laid in the 70s.

1. Gary took money from the Blumes.
2. Random House book deal.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Groundwork was laid in the 70s.

1. Gary took money from the Blumes.
2. Random House book deal.
No-one disputes this, I don't think.

That said, while I'm not sure Ms Williams could have undone anything about the Blumes she must have had an opportunity sometime during those 12 years to have reopen and renegotiate the Random House contract; or to move to a different book company.

Quartz

Hero
So yeah, her business practices ultimately led to the demise of TSR, but she is hardly the only one at fault, or even mostly at fault.

Sorry, but she was the one in charge. What went before isn't relevant. She had the ability to rectify the situation and rescue the company, and didn't. Her time was a litany of bad decisions. She and she alone bears responsibility. That's why CEOs get paid the big bucks.

Dausuul

Legend
You don't get to keep blaming your predecessor for 11 years. Williams had plenty of time to right the ship, and the turnaround under WotC proves that the ship was in fact rightable. She just didn't do it.

As for Gygax, he made a lot of bad choices, but it's worth keeping in mind that many of them were made when TSR was being run out of his basement.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is something that's bothered me for a while. Lorraine Williams is often attacked to this day of single handily destroying TSR. Whenever people talk about the TSR failing, it's always, and only, Lorraine they talk about.

It seems to me to be the opposite. Every singe discussion of TSR business I have seen for the past year or more has included how bad a position the company was in before Williams.

Remove ads