Loss of class features for Eldritch Knight in exchange for becoming half-caster?

Krafus

First Post
There are two reasons why I prefer an arcane warrior to an arcane paladin. First, I want the characters in this hypothetical campaign to have access to the arcane abjuration/evocation spells, not the divine spells. I want them to be damage dealers at melee range with martial weapons and at long range with spells like magic missiles, flaming sphere, acid arrows, fireballs and lightning bolts. I don't want their role to be melee damage dealers/healbots/buffers.

Also, although the paladin's Sacred Oath seems well-suited thematically to the historical vows a knight had to take, I want the characters (be they PCs or NPCs) to retain all their abilities should they decide to abandon/betray the knightly order and their vows.

As for the suggestion of an Eldritch Knight/Wizard multiclass, I want the characters to be able to progress in a single class, and this particular class combination IMO results in too much emphasis on the arcane aspect/progression to the detriment of the warrior aspect/progression. Too much wizard, too little warrior, so to speak.

The swordmage archetype looks interesting, and I'll copy it for possible use at a later time.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I think you're misunderstand those saying/the concept of an "arcane paladin"....obviously, you would use the wizard spell list. You wouldn't have divine spells. Even using the sorcerer spell list instead, you'd have all of the long range blast 'em spells you could want.

So...I'm not sure why you think "arcane paladin" means they still have divine magic/wouldn't get magic missiles and fireballs.

Krafus

First Post
Whoops, you're right. I've thought of "paladin = divine magic" for so long that I didn't make the obvious "arcane paladin = arcane magic" connection. [Homer Simpson voice] D'oh!

But now that I think on it, even if I switched the paladin's divine magic to arcane, I'd still need to do a heavy rework of the paladin's class features to turn it into the magic-wielding warrior I want. Much easier IMO to make a few alterations to the Eldritch Knight so it'll become a half-caster and exactly the character class I want.

miburo99

First Post
[MENTION=27256]Krafus[/MENTION] I'd be curious of your thoughts on my Swordmage homebrew class (not the paladin archetype) and whether it fits the arcane halfcaster archetype you are looking for.

On a side note, how do you post links in your signature? I tried the BB code and it won't work (sorry new guy here)

Krafus

First Post
Miburo99: I've taken a look at your Swordmage class as you requested. Remember that the following comes from someone who has very little experience with 5e, so take my words with several grains of salt.

I don't know if that's the vibe you were going for, but your Swordmage feels like a middle ground between the Bard and the Eldritch Knight. The emphasis on knowledge, intelligence and exploration distinctly reminds me of the Bard, while the hit dice, armor and weapon proficiencies are more what I'd expect of a Fighter.

To me it looks like a viable arcane halfcaster, but it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for – what I want is a warrior-mage who focuses purely on battle and damage-dealing (with weapons at melee range and evocation magic at long range) as part of a military order, without other considerations/distractions like exploring and searching for lore. Also, a lot of your swordmage's abilities and features are (understandably) based on his bonded weapon, while I want my warrior-mage's magical focus to be on his spells, not his weapon.

The one modification I think I'd make to your Swordmage is eventually letting him learn one or two additional cantrips from the list you provided in Arcane Attunement. It just seems natural to me that a character focused in part on learning new lore would eventually learn additional cantrips during his career.

Here's hoping you find this useful (and in the knowledge that I mean no slight upon your work – you've obviously put a lot of time and thought into your Swordmage). :)

miburo99

First Post
Miburo99:

*SNIP*

Here's hoping you find this useful (and in the knowledge that I mean no slight upon your work – you've obviously put a lot of time and thought into your Swordmage). :)

No offense taken at all! Actually, that's very helpful feedback. I definitely did bias it towards sword-based powers and exploration-oriented, just to give it a more specific flavor than a more generic combat-oriented halfcaster. Totally understand that it may not be what you are looking for.

I'll keep the additional cantrip thing in mind. That makes sense, and I specifically want to give only non-combat cantrips (otherwise it would become unbalanced with the simulcast abilities). I think it wouldn't be unbalanced to add another non-combat cantrip to show advancement in arcane lore.

Remove ads