D&D 5E Lost City of Omu for high-level PCs (spoilers)

CapnZapp

Legend
In this thread I intend to summarize my work to bring real challenge to the Omu chapter of Tomb of Annihilation.

But let me kick off the thread with the juicest bit - the map :)

Omu tease.jpg

This map is saved as a 10% quality JPEG so it's definitely grainy. But my intent isn't to rip off WotC, but to show you my new set of encounters! The map keys are clear, and that's all that matters. :)

Edit: Now you can jump down straight to the map key segments:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...s-(spoilers)&p=7386559&viewfull=1#post7386559

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I'll post each encounter as I finish writing them, but first, the major tweaks to the overall campaign. Remember, my party started out at 5th level (and are well on their way to 10th now), so while these measures might seem draconic, it's really what's needed to keep the ToA random encounters relevant.

* perhaps the most significant change: you cannot long rest in the jungle!

That's right - you can camp for the night, but there's no benefit (other than what a short rest gives you, and the fact some items key to a new day, "dawn", "noon", "midnight" and the sort).

At rivers and coastline (beach hexes) you can attempt a DC 10 Con save to gain the benefits of a long rest during an 8 hour rest, but there are no rivers anywhere near Omu.

To be blunt - facing a couple of crocodiles or zombies simply isn't an interesting combat encounter at tier II, and if you could freely rest after having 0-2 of them, I would rather just skip them all "you meet and destroy three crocodiles and five zombies, now what?".

It's not worth even half an hour of game time to resolve one of the random encounters if the resource drain in lost hit points and spent spell slots doesn't mean anything. At levels 1-4 it would have been another story.

* the question then becomes "but can't they long rest at all?"

I currently think the Omu encounters (think of it as an overland dungeon) plus the Fane will be good for three days worth of adventuring. This means two long rests, assuming they arrive fully charged. Plus one more long rest, since sending them into the Tomb depleted would just be cruel.

This means at least three bouts of long rest. I have six adventurers, so that's 18 long rests. Plus, something might always go wrong, and in order to not force them to retreat back all they way to Lake Luo or Shilku Bay it's probably good design to feature at least one more bout they can find as precious treasure.

As for specifics, see the individual encounters.

* I didn't start the curse before now. I didn't want the players to feel forced into skipping the jungle content, and rushing straight to Omu. Now they're high enough level to use the curse as-is.

* the Yuan-Ti presence in Omu is beefed up considerably. The adventure paints a lost city with just a few dozen snake people, most of which are waiting for the party to descend into the Fane dungeon. For our purposes, this won't do - cynical players will simply say "we go straight to Ras Nsi, to wipe him out at the height of our power, so he can't ambush us when we're weaker".

As I read the adventure, it presupposes that the party wants to avoid the Yuan-Ti, and only enter the Fane when they realize they have to (because Ras Nsi has stolen a puzzle cube).

In my version, the south-eastern part of Omu is teeming with snake people, including "civilians" and young. Perhaps not a city's worth, but certainly a town's. At the very least over a hundred, enough to send a signal that a frontal assault is probably too dangerous even for mighty heroes. This is also necessary to explain the seemingly limitless hordes that can harass the party, without having to reduce the Yuan-Ti presence in/under the Royal Palace.

Related to that, I'm having three factions of Yuan Ti. The party can (must?) ally themselves either to one of them, or to the Red Wizards. It is Fenthaza, not Ras Nsi, who steals the puzzle cube. Why would Ras Nsi want to risk everything by drawing the ire of adventurers? It makes much more sense that Fenthaza makes the heroes believe Ras Nsi has the cube - after all, she wants him dead!

* there's a way to actually find out the cool backstory of the adventure!

The Tabaxi hunters provide much info. I'm placing a Minotaur Potion seller to reveal the ancient history. And I want the city encounters to explicitly tell the DM to hand out hints about Acecerak - not just the only (unlikely) book event they walk around the city to approach from above the waterfall.

* (reserved - I might realize some other general pointer as I go)

* finally, as you can see from the map, I'm intending to reveal this map to the party. This way they hopefully feel they have a whole city to explore, while still getting some sense of progression, since they will gain the meta knowledge of what spots are "important". As you can see, I've added several map keys - precisely to allow some to be more important than others. :)

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
When I read ToA I was profoundly disappointed with the Yuan Ti. There's really little reason for them to be there at all, and no reason for them to grab the last cube. Omu is the place where the adventurers hone their puzzle testing skills. A warm-up for the tomb. The combat with the T Rex should be enough and you could always put two of them there and / or give the T Rex telepathic command of a pack of lesser raptors. Remember that the more combats you have, the greater the chance of losing a PC.

CapnZapp

Legend
If you are not open to people stating views that don't match yours, take this to a medium where you get to control the conversation. You don't get to tell people what to post.
When I read ToA I was profoundly disappointed with the Yuan Ti. There's really little reason for them to be there at all, and no reason for them to grab the last cube. Omu is the place where the adventurers hone their puzzle testing skills. A warm-up for the tomb. The combat with the T Rex should be enough and you could always put two of them there and / or give the T Rex telepathic command of a pack of lesser raptors. Remember that the more combats you have, the greater the chance of losing a PC.
What?

If you dont see Omu as a massively cool adventure site all by itself, let me assure you you're in the wrong thread.

Everything about this is about making Omu into a cool play area for mid-level heroes.

If you have something to add to that (such as ideas for the Yuan-Ti) I'm all ears, but "The combat with the T Rex should be enough" is actively against the topic of this thread, since it implies skipping the entire chapter, so please take that notion elsewhere. Thank you.

Quartz

Hero
If you dont see Omu as a massively cool adventure site all by itself, let me assure you you're in the wrong thread.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Omu itself, just the Yuan-Ti sideplot.

If you have something to add to that (such as ideas for the Yuan-Ti) I'm all ears, but "The combat with the T Rex should be enough" is actively against the topic of this thread, since it implies skipping the entire chapter, so please take that notion elsewhere. Thank you.

You mean, apart from the nine puzzles? And the competition with the Red Wizards? You can boost the monsters summoned by the former, and make the latter a lot more active.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't think there's anything wrong with Omu itself, just the Yuan-Ti sideplot.

You mean, apart from the nine puzzles? And the competition with the Red Wizards? You can boost the monsters summoned by the former, and make the latter a lot more active.
You should probably wait until I start posting my encounters.

CapnZapp

Legend
Some general notes:

Rumors in the City
Orolunga
Kir Sabal
Tabaxi
King of Feathers
Red Wizards
Yuan-Ti

Company of the Yellow Banner
> find the Eye of Zaltec
Lord Brixton (a Cormyrean knight),
Bravus Boulderborn (a gold dwarf cleric of Moradin),
Seward (a Chondathan human ranger),
Sephirius (a dragonborn paladin often referred to as "Seph"),
Devlin Bashir a Calishite wizard

Argentate Blades*
Exander Runthorn, captain, bard
Isai Odighuzua, fighter-archer
Molatunde Nilawi, vampire
Adgrif Yoderbie, rogue-assassin with pet girallon Muaalagu
Aliciette Cardoso, monk
Vesnic Demicci, fighter

Oracle Saja N'Baza at Orolunga
History of Omu (page 92)
Ras Nsi, including that he's slowly dying
Nine Trickster Gods;"generally they loathe each other but somehow still ended up working together to charm Ubtao"

Kir Sabal (non-combat encounter at this level)
Asharra, the Teacher, scheming for Chultian influence
the "children" Princess Mwaxanaré and Na.
Skull Chalice of Ch'gakare, Tomb of the Nine Gods
Dance of Seven Winds [my party has already fireballed the Black Orchid]

*) I'll see if I can scrounge up the thread where I asked for pictures of complete, preferably non-caucasian, adventure parties posing together

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Map Key

A. Cliffside
B. Tabaxi and Yuan-Ti ambush
C. Guardhouse with grafitti (original location #1)
D. Walled Compound with Orvex (original location #2)
E. House of Vines (Comp)
F. Kubazan (original location #3)
G. Pyramid Fruit and Storm (Comp)
H. Ubtao Shrine
I. Shagambi (original location #4)
J. Sacrifice of Fire (from #5)
K. Fallen Tree (original location #7)
L. Maze Home (Comp)
M. Adventurers' Camp (original location #9)
N. House of Parrots (Comp)
O. Finde's Potions
P. Bell Tower (Comp)
Q. Magic Academy (Comp)
R. I'Jin (original location #10)
S. Dino-Dragon Inn (Comp) with Chwinga Wagon (original location #11)
T. Bazaar (original location #15)
U. Amphi-theatre (original location #13)
V. Greenhouse (Comp)
W. Wongo (original location #12)
X. X Marks The Spot (original location #14)
Y. Bathhouse (Comp)
Z. Red Wizards' Camp

"Comp" indicates location from the Tomb of Annihilation Companion

CapnZapp

Legend
Map Key (cont'd)

a. Great Rift (original location #5)
b. Moa (original location #6)
c. Bag of Nails Dummy
d. Unkh (original location #8) - stolen by "Ras Nsi" (really by Fenthaza)
e. Ubtao Shrine
f. Kindergarten (with unmarked gate)
g. Resistance HQ
h. Obo'laka (original location #19)
i. Main Gate
j. Quiet Quarter (with #20b)
k. Slave Pens
l. Stairs To Nowhere
m. Old Royal Palace (original location #20) with Dignitaries Suites
n. Fane Entrance (#20a)
o. Water Gate
p. Waterfall (original location #17)
q. Water Vision (original location #17)
r. Papazotl (original location #16)
s. Ubtao Shrine
t. Nangnang (original location #18)
u. House of the Dead

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] Nice looking map key! I especially like that you've fleshed out more areas in the old palace – huge area that wasn't given a very interesting treatment in ToA. Looking forward to seeing how you put it all together.

What's been your approach for creating new areas in Omu? Some of your ideas clearly follow from implied themes, like a House of the Dead, Slave Pens, a surviving minotaur, and a Red Wizards Camp. Others seem... unusual. For example, you have not one but two Ubtao Shrines still standing (despite Omuans betraying / giving up Ubtao in favor of Nine Trickster Gods)? And you placed a Kindergarten?

Remove ads