• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LOST: The Final Season (Spoilers)

Demmero

Explorer
The beginning of the end is tonight. Anyone still interested? Last year, I believe one thread sufficed to cover the whole of Season 5, not individual episode threads, so I'm putting this up now.

For me...this is probably the least excited I've been for a season premiere. Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I really hate time travel and its ilk, and last season's finale (Juliet banging on the bomb until she managed to white-screen us all) just left too many possibilities for me to get excited and try to guess where (when?) the Lostaways would turn up next. I bought the Season 5 DVD set when it first came out but didn't finish watching it until yesterday; usually I watch the whole package within the first week of getting it.

That having been said...it's great to have Lost back! For someone who really hates time travel (Have I mentioned that before?), I'll admit that the writers of Lost have handled the concept well enough for me to still be hooked. I miss not being able to watch the show each week and then come here and bounce crazy theories off other ENWorlders (Yeah, adding "When?" to "Who?" "What?" Where?" and "Why?" short-circuited something in my brain), but I'm still hooked on the show's mysteries and its characters. The producers have said the final season will hearken back to the first--my favorite season.

I'm not sure I'm going to love the final "payoff" at the end of the season, but it'll be fascinating to finally get some answers to the lingering mysteries. I'm personally waiting to find out why Libby was in the mental hospital watching Hurley.

Oh yeah--and what's the deal with Vincent the dog?

Happy watching! :D

Unimpressed here. I feel like they've abandoned the character-based storytelling that made the show good, and are focusing too much on plot momentum. It would be fine in some shows, but I like Lost for its characters.

Correction. I like Lost for some of its characters, who apparently aren't the ones the writers like, because the ones I like keep dying.

Jack7

First Post
Yes, I really like many of the characters in Lost. But to me Lost is like church for television. I don't get excited or even interested by much television, or film either for that matter. I'm not by nature of the modern entertainment culture, nor am I interested in media for the sake of media. (Media to me is simply a means to an ends, not a thing in itself.) But Lost to me not only has interesting characters, and a fascinating plot, but it implies so many things (both inside itself and outside itself) in a metaphysical fashion that's it's hard for me to not feel naturally akin to it.

So I'm gonna follow it with great interest.

I can honestly say it is the only show on television that I will actually interrupt my work for to sit down and watch. It's also one of the few shows I've ever seen on television that when an episode is over I will say to myself, "Damn, I wish that had went on longer."

It's kind like a sacrament to me, and I don't mean that to be disparaging to any sacrament or to the show itself. To me it's a sort of psychological sacrament and when it's over I almost always say to myself, "I'm glad I experienced that."

Even though it is not real, it leaves an impression on me almost as if it were real.

Quantum

First Post
I really enjoyed it. Time travel is one of my favorite story styles.

Minor spoilers ahead.

But, the reason for the change of the focus to be plot more than character, is because they have made promises to explain things, what the island is all about, what the major players are, and why these characters are involved. I hope they follow through. I really really do.

And, they were able to use some sort of reset button. There were two stories going on simultaneously, one where they never crashed and how they got to that point.

But I really hope things work out for Charlie and Kate. Charlie did sacrifice his life in the end and should get something in return for that.

I also feel kind of sorry for Ben. His entire world, as criminal as it may be, is about to be completely overturned. And it does seem that the smoke being does have a soft spot for him. I call it a smoke being because I'd always suspected that it was a fully sentient being early on in the show, tonight's episode fully supports that notion that it is a fully sentient being of some sort. I hope they explain its presence on the island as well.

MAJOR SPOILERS

~ if you are going to put major spoilers in an ongoing thread, it is a good idea to put them in an sblock tag like this. Thanks! ~ Plane Sailing.

[sblock]

A quick cut scene revealed the island is at the bottom of the ocean. So, of course this reveals that they did use the reset button.

I whole heartedly wait for the reveal on how they did this, and how doing it affects their lives. There does already seem to be an effect on Hurly, who no longer seems to have a curse on his life and is a successful fast food chain owner.

[/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been looking forward to it and dreading it as well because it means the show is ending and its one of the few shows left on TV that I make any effort to watch. I thought last nights episode was not quite as compelling as I'd hoped it would be but it was alright. The editing seemed a bit off which was surprising for a big 2 hour season opener that they should have had tons of time to get just right. I imagine that as the season picks up and heads toward the final conclusion that pacing will pick up and things will get tighter.

Remove ads