LotFP's James Raggi says he'll ban anybody who talk about Zak S controversy

pming

Legend
Hiya!

While I do think that Zak is a...uh..."piece of work"...I can't deny that the stuff he creates for fantasy is really unusual, interesting and exciting. I'm pretty much with James on this: "Feel free to hate the man...but don't hate his work just because you hate him".

"Veins of the Earth" is still one of the best RPG supplement books I've bought in 20 years.

Right or wrong, the world doesn't really tolerate that anymore. The world has come to realize that such a stance can cause great harm. Though we have also seen problems with the opposing 'cancel culture'.

'The world'? Isn't that a rather broad assumption?

And an inaccurate one, since the places I frequent for my other hobbies clearly do not make that claim.

Whatever, I was trying to use inclusive language. I suggest you use a little bit of ... something instead of trying to take everything literally.

Enjoy.

Words have meanings.

Of course, hating on people in the name of tolerance seems rather odd to me, but perhaps being a person of color provides a different outlook.

Last edited:

macd21

Adventurer
Words have meanings.

Of course, hating on people in the name of tolerance seems rather odd to me, but perhaps being a person of color provides a different outlook.

Yes, words have meanings, sometimes more than one. In this case, LordEntrails meaning was clear, yet you insist on this weird pedantic point scoring nonsense for some reason.

As for hating in the name of tolerance: in order for a society to be tolerant, it cannot tolerate the intolerant. The reason this sounds odd is another issue of language, but there’s nothing really unusual about it.

TheSword

Legend
The amount of time that has been devoted and the number of threads derailed, talking about a guy I would never even have heard of if not for his detractors is unbelievable.

Even when WOC was making its statements on race people were still emailing for Mearls to be sacked for the issue.

The court of public opinion is a pretty distasteful thing to watch. Particularly when you don’t have skin in the game. No due process, a jury of 6 billion, and no actual judge to provide sentence and closure. The price of fame I guess.

The internet is now convinced that he is guilty as sin and anyone arguing otherwise would be crazy... not because of any evidence but because the conversation would instantly devolve into a shouting match between people who have already made up their minds.

Can I follow these points up with a question?

Can talking about it be banned here too?!

Religion/politics
Yes, words have meanings, sometimes more than one. In this case, LordEntrails meaning was clear, yet you insist on this weird pedantic point scoring nonsense for some reason.

It was not clear whether he believed it, expected to be believed, or was being over-dramatic for some other reason. Which is why I replied. He seemed capable of responding, as his response shows. It wasn't pendantic: he made a claim, I questioned that claim, he clarified.

As for hating in the name of tolerance: in order for a society to be tolerant, it cannot tolerate the intolerant. The reason this sounds odd is another issue of language, but there’s nothing really unusual about it.

Actually, in the USA free speech is an inalienable right of all. People can, and do, hate whomever they want.

You sound very much like the people who were defending Jim Crow and segregation in my youth. They had the same 'the end justified the means' attitude, too.

Me, personally, I vastly preferred the days when a person could feel comfortable enough to call me a racial slur. You see, that way I knew exactly how he felt. There were no surprises.

Now, with all the white liberals out making things tougher for us (which seems deliberate, IMO), people keep their opinions to themselves.

It hasn't changed anyone's opinion, but it has built a better bigot: now we (people of color) can never be sure what our boss/coworker/etc thinks about us.

Like I said: my life with a different skin tone has given me a different outlook.

TheSword said:
The amount of time that has been devoted and the number of threads derailed, talking about a guy I would never even have heard of if not for his detractors is unbelievable.

You're absolutely right: I'm wasting time here. Thanks!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Me, personally, I vastly preferred the days when a person could feel comfortable enough to call me a racial slur. You see, that way I knew exactly how he felt. There were no surprises.

Now, with all the white liberals out making things tougher for us (which seems deliberate, IMO), people keep their opinions to themselves.

It hasn't changed anyone's opinion, but it has built a better bigot: now we (people of color) can never be sure what our boss/coworker/etc thinks about us.

Like I said: my life with a different skin tone has given me a different outlook.
My life as a black/multiracial Army Brat has given me a different outlook.

I have to say, the “better bigot” you described has always been around. They evolved in parallel with the more garden variety types we all see. They’re more common in the northern sections of the USA, and upper social strata everywhere, but just as old a problem as the obvious ones.

And while I- like you- prefer the bigots self-ID, I would have to say that people haven’t been as circumspect in their bigotry over the past 4 years as perhaps in the decade before. Cruise Imgur for a while- or almost any major news outlet’s website - and you’ll see numerous examples of bigots utterly unfazed by being filmed as they vent or act out.

(It’s one of the things currently wearing my father down. He thought we’d come farther as a nation.)

macd21

Adventurer
Besides, it’s precisely the ‘better bigots’ that tend to get caught out by these campaigns. It’s not the loud ‘n proud naughty words who get called out (because everyone knows who they are), it’s the more subtle ones. Someone points out that what they’ve said or done is problematic, and they go nuts. It’s the ‘I’m not racist, but...’ crowd. The people quietly making spaces hostile for women and minorities.

Remove ads