LotFP's James Raggi says he'll ban anybody who talk about Zak S controversy

aramis erak

Legend
Hiya!

While I do think that Zak is a...uh..."piece of work"...I can't deny that the stuff he creates for fantasy is really unusual, interesting and exciting. I'm pretty much with James on this: "Feel free to hate the man...but don't hate his work just because you hate him".

"Veins of the Earth" is still one of the best RPG supplement books I've bought in 20 years.
Haven't seen that one, not likely to, either.
What I have seen of his work was, at least for me, uninteresting piles of tables, bad art, and nothing at all exciting.

The only positive I've noted is that he can use a spell checker. (Which is oft absent in small press authors.)

His blog was interesting for a while, but as he gained popularity, he became more and more toxic.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Haven't seen that one, not likely to, either.
What I have seen of his work was, at least for me, uninteresting piles of tables, bad art, and nothing at all exciting.

The only positive I've noted is that he can use a spell checker. (Which is oft absent in small press authors.)

His blog was interesting for a while, but as he gained popularity, he became more and more toxic.

As someone pointed out to me Zak didn't write it...I had thought he was a co-writer. Turns out he did edit it and is credited with "...editing, inspiration and support". I do have Zaks "Vornheim" (The Complete City Kit), and I was likewise, impressed with the creativity and outright 'weirdness'. Maybe that's where I got my wires crossed. Also, "Maze of the Blue Medusa" is, as many put it, a work of art. It is that, to be sure! AMZAING hardcover adventure...it's layout, art, and unique, well, everything, just make it so enjoyable to hold and read. Zak wrote that one (and it won 3 2016 Ennies; Writing, Art, and Cartography). On that one, it's Patrick who is credited as co-writer I believe.

Anyway...point stands. Zak may be a piece of work, but man can that guy create unique and interesting stuff! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Here's the thing though; Zak S has always been garbage, even before Mandy's (and others, who are often forgotten in this) very credible allegations. The RPG industry writ large just felt that it was less okay to turn a blind eye to (again, very credible) sexual assault allegations than it was to his other extremely toxic behaviors (such as his exists-in-the-public-record serial harassment and online bullying).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Veins of the Earth is, however, published by Raggi. If you don't like his cozying up to Zak, purchasing that book -- which, indeed, has stellar reviews -- buying that puts some money in his pocket.

I guess the question is who the book belongs to. Is it with Lamentations in perpetuity? Does it belong to Raggi? Or will the actual creators get the rights back at some point?

For myself, until I know the answers, I've been looking at Downcrawl as a substitute for Veins of the Earth when I end up needing a weird Underdark reference work.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Veins of the Earth is, however, published by Raggi. If you don't like his cozying up to Zak, purchasing that book -- which, indeed, has stellar reviews -- buying that puts some money in his pocket.

I guess the question is who the book belongs to. Is it with Lamentations in perpetuity? Does it belong to Raggi? Or will the actual creators get the rights back at some point?

For myself, until I know the answers, I've been looking at Downcrawl as a substitute for Veins of the Earth when I end up needing a weird Underdark reference work.

I had not heard of this book until your post, so I looked it up.

Holy moly, that looks really good!

And then I read this review. And...now I am seriously considering buying it. Look what you did, Whizbang!

Last edited:

Remove ads