• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Love the Game, Hate the Marketing

Sara_G

First Post
Yikes. We're really stuck on this "cool" thing. We've decided to turn over a new leaf here at WotC and substitute other adjectives whenever we have the urge to use the word "cool". Being from Massachusetts, I'm partial to "wicked", but these native west coasters prefer "rad" and "tubular".

iskurthi

First Post
Or maybe adventuredelic

Sara_G said:
Yikes. We're really stuck on this "cool" thing. We've decided to turn over a new leaf here at WotC and substitute other adjectives whenever we have the urge to use the word "cool". Being from Massachusetts, I'm partial to "wicked", but these native west coasters prefer "rad" and "tubular".

I look forward to more varied adjectivization in WotC's marketing materials. I will definitely buy 4E if you can work "awesometastic" in somewhere.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Hey Scott and Sara,

Just want to say that you guys even taking the time to respond to EN World is in my opinion, a fantastic gesture. (And part of your shrewd marketing master plan, I'm sure! ;) )

Thank you for your presence on the boards. I also have to say that despite the "bogus" criticism leveled at Ari, John's, and Owen's posting of their thoughts, I for one really enjoyed reading their take on 4e.

Seriously, if people are bound and determined to see a conspiracy or incompetence behind everything you and other WotC staffers do then I don't think that any amount of convincing will change their minds.

However, the fact that you come on the boards and even attempt it is awesome! I know its probably painful sometimes, but people like me really appreciate that you take the time to come on here and post responses to some of the crazy stuff people go off on WotC about.

Thank you! :)

Ok

Well, I hadn't seen the beholder video Scott linked before. I do like it better than the Tiefling/Gnome video. It's funnier, and probably plays better to my grumpy old 40+ demographic.

So I hereby retract half of my statement regarding the videos being lame. The beholder one is OK.

As far as cool goes... well maybe I don't grok marketing speak. I don't want to be told that a new feat or other game element is 'exciting', or 'cool', or 'wicked'.

I want to be told what new game design goal the new game element serves, and then determine myself how 'cool' it is.

Perhaps this is simply a fact of my demographic. I suppose marketing types have an impossible task, trying to simultaneously meet the information needs of 14 year old and 40 year olds.

As far as the magazines go... well, none of us outside of WoTC have hard figures to argue over whether it made sense from a holistic perspective to can them. Since they were a licensing deal with Paizo, I am guessing that the cost of them to WoTC was an opportunity cost -- they took the place of other products that WoTC would be able to sell instead. I will take your word that the price of their continued existence was too high for WoTC to pay.

But I don't think I can state strongly enough what a loss it is to me, and many others, to have them gone. WoTC lost an enormous amount of goodwill with that move.

Anyway, I'm sorry if my observations have come across as personal attacks. It was not my intent to castigate any particular person. As others have said, we all benefit when WoTC people patronize this board.

I look forward to seeing how events unfold in the next few months. And I will be buying the core books as soon as they are available.

Ken

zoroaster100

First Post
The problem with filtered/censored permission to post by platesters was not about effectiveness of marketing, but of building versus weakening trust among fans. But despite the fact that one action by WOTC did tick me off this morning, I am still hopeful the game itself will be good. I clearly can't pass final judgment until I actually have the rules and try playing 4th edition, but it seems the D&D designers are definitely focused on fixing things I wanted fixed from the 3.5 rules, so I have high hopes.

Lizard

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
I don't get that vibe, myself. I'm 42, started gaming in '79, so I'm pretty much at grognard status, too. I'm down with the cool.

Same age and started one year earlier, and I'm not down with it. Whatever 'down' means. Or 'with it'.

I have to repeat the same message to the marketers: Stop telling us we aren't having fun. We are. You guys made a fun game in 2000, and have kept making it fun for eight years. There's no point in denying it -- 3e is t3h r0xx0rz, or whatever the spelling is. I'd like to be able to trust you to keep making fun games, but when you tell me I'm not having fun when I know I am, it tends to make me think you and I have very different ideas of "fun".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads