• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Low Level Wizards Really Do Suck in 5E

Sacrosanct

Legend
How do you know when it has less than 20 hit points? Do you make a medicine check or something?

You could make an educated risk assessment. If the DM is telling you the creature is looking pretty rough, then you know it's probably low on the HP. If you wanted to metagame it, I imagine a lot of people would do that too.

"I know it has an average of 68 hp, and we've inflicted 42 so far, so my sleep spell might just work."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
For me, this is most definitely a feature not a bug. What's the point of a social/charismatic/face character if all of your social skills are completely out-classed by a simple 1st level wizard spell. I found Charm Person in past editions to be ridiculously over-powered, most importantly in destroying the niche of any social character.

Player: "I use my wiles and charms to sidle up to the guard, trying to get a read on whether he's the type that might take to a bribe or a plea for-" DM: "Sorry, he's already the drooling puppy dog of the ugly, crotchety wizard. Did you think your character was supposed to help out in social interactions? Ha, no... silly player. You have someone in the party capable of casting a 1st level wizard spell... Your social skills aren't needed here. Glad you put all those resources into them, though."

Beyond trampling other players, it always seemed way overpowered in general - there's no point (or at least no tension) in a social interaction scene when the wizard can just charm anyone that needs persuading. At best it becomes not a social interaction scene, and just a 'did he make his saving throw' moment - yes, success! no, fight!

I find this new version a fantastic compromise, just like the Knock spell, which used to demolish any purpose to the rogue being able to pick locks. Now with both Knock and Charm Person, the wizard can offer an interesting, but limited, shortcut to these problems, but in most situations they're ideally left to the character whose specialty it is to handle such matters.

This was easy to handle in previous games. One player did not try to step over another player's schtick. If there was a face PC in the party, the player of the wizard rarely took mind influencing spells, or he rarely prep or cast them unless necessary if he did. Solving a potential class conflict issue by nerfing one class seems subpar.

Celebrim

Legend
Well, to be fair - this is supposed to be the edition of D&D in which everything is the most D&D D&D it can be. Isn't "wizards suck at low level" iconic D&D?

Yes, but it was also something that back even in the old school days annoyed many players. Those aren't the sacred cows; those are the diseased swine. We'd like to keep the sacred cows and get rid of the problems. We've a long time player here going, "Wait a minute... this isn't even as much fun as low level wizards used to be." If that were true, it would be worth paying attention to.

Also, for better or worse, it's not something someone coming from 4e is going to expect. Also, it's just plain bad design.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
This is another variation of "You are right KD, but it doesn't matter."

It doesn't really matter whether 3e or 2e were different. This is 5e. We don't need to accept the limitations of prior editions or the failures of their design. The question that matters right now is, "Are low level Wizards getting their full share of spot light?" KD takes the position, "No." And you are basically arguing it for him. If I might suggest, I can even see the argument that suggests why this is new. In earlier editions, low level wizards had reliable save or suck. Now with neither reliable save or suck nor reliable damage, it's much less obvious how they take a fair share of spotlight. Again, it doesn't matter that low level wizards are relatively better off in damage capacity compared to prior editions. The point is that in this edition they are disadvantaged in damage and have fewer 'game changing' spells. One take on KD is he's saying, "Heh, wait a minute... what happened to my game changing spells?!?!? If you are going to take those away, why can't I at least go boom occasionally?"

Did you ignore the rest of the post where I clearly show that low level wizard damage numbers are closer to martials than any previous edition? So no, I did not say KD was correct.

If you read my earlier posts, I posted things I've been doing. The game is fairly new. I haven't read every spell or used every combination. So far I've been doing just fine. And I'm not theorizing, I'm speaking from experience. I am playing a low level wizard. I am having as much fun as I have had in any edition of the game, perhaps more so. I feel more useful than previous editions at low level due to cantrips being more effective than previous editions.

The biggest difference I'm finding is I don't get to end battles with one spell. Instead, I get to help end battles with one spell. The difference being that in 3E if my Charm Person landed, the battle was over. The creature was for all intents and purposes defeated. Same with using a spell like color spray at low level or grease on a low dex save creature. Whereas in this edition, my Tasha's or Grease may last a round or two. I instead feel as though I'm helping win the day rather than doing it myself by giving the martial damage dealers time to deal with other opponents, while I hold off other enemies long enough for them to do so. Thus feeling very much like I helped win the day without overshadowing every other class.

Maybe, but Sleep and Grease were both good too. Charm Person remained basically broken without DM heavy fiat. True Strike could awesome with the right build, and even a Ray of Enfeeblement could utterly change a combat. Second level spells would bring you the brokenness of Glitterdust, Invisibility and Web, the hilarity of Summon Swarm, and game changers like Hideous Laughter, Alter Self and False Life. It's not hard for me to believe people see this as a downgrade they aren't being compensated for. Granted, I also believe that the brokenness had to go, as we've just mentioned at least 5 spells that I had to nerf for my 3.X game in order to maintain balance.

You seem to me to be arguing KD's part. If you don't want to agree with him, you'll need to focus on how despite the fact that the Wizard is gimped with respect to damage and lacks the game changers of 1e or 3e, the advantages he has in battlefield shaping and controlling the action economy at least make up for the loss in raw damage. So far very few people have attempted that.

They are good for one combat in this edition as well. I'm not arguing KD's point. I'm simply trying to understand why he thinks low level wizards were ever very powerful. It was never the case.

Do you play 5E at all or did you come over here to jump into an argument you know nothing about? If you don't understand why you can't mechanically design spells as they were before due to the new method of monster design and the like, I don't know what to tell you. You should try playing it first, then you'll see a couple of things:

1. Single save effects that continue are going to trivialize encounters. The game isn't built for that type of spell combat. So doubt you're going to see it anytime soon.

2. The 5E wizard isn't weak. He does less consistent damage with cantrips because his burst and effect spells do more than martial capabilities. Even so, the cantrips are still closer in damage to martial attacks than in any previous edition. So a wizard can output damage at a continuous pace occasionally boosting his damage output or combat capability with an effect spell.

So to answer your question, in my experience "Wizards are getting their full share of the spotlight."

You haven't played the game if you think the game changing spells aren't still there. They very much are. My wizard has definitely altered the course of more than a few battles that we were losing. He has been highly effective, more so than martials, at out of combat assistance. Wizards are definitely still very good. KD wants a return to the game breaking of 3E. It's not happening. Sorry. That era is over. I'm ok with it. I had my fun being uber wizard ending battles easily with save or suck spells. I'm ok being part of the team. If KD isn't, there is always older editions to play. 5E is not the game for a person that wants to be a "God" Wizard. It's the type of game for a person that has a lot of fun landing a Tasha's for a few rounds to slow the ogre from hitting his friends or using Minor Illusion to effectively scout or hid a door. Different game. Wizards used to dominating with save or suck spells and the like are not going to like it.

aramis erak

Legend
There's no rogue in my 5e game yet, but it looks really easy to get SA as long as there is someone else in melee with a standing enemy on your turn. Almost trivial. But as I said, that's on paper, not in play.
I've seen it pretty regularly. Yes, it's almost, but not quite, trivial to get to use the SA. Two combat-focused rogues on one target is a quick takedown.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Yes, but it was also something that back even in the old school days annoyed many players. Those aren't the sacred cows; those are the diseased swine. We'd like to keep the sacred cows and get rid of the problems. We've a long time player here going, "Wait a minute... this isn't even as much fun as low level wizards used to be." If that were true, it would be worth paying attention to.

Also, for better or worse, it's not something someone coming from 4e is going to expect. Also, it's just plain bad design.

What about this long-time player (30 plus years) who thinks the low level wizard is fine? Who enjoys playing the wizard and thinks the new mechanics are a nice balance between the 4E neutering and the 3E vastly overpowered? Or Piratecat the long-time player who is ok with wizards? Do you think Karin's Dad has more relevant opinion than ours?

I'm a long time player here...*hand raised*. Played casters in every edition to high level. Favorite characters are casters. Love wizards, that's why I made a wizard my first character in the new edition. I'm finding them quite potent and fun.

So now only the OP has a relevant opinion in your mind? Have you played a 5E wizard to compare them? Or you making assumptions?

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I ain't no anti-spellcaster crusader, but frig, man, that sounds like that would make wizards the Uberclass. And be a PITA to track. That is not a little adjustment in power, that is basically "Wizards get to pwn the shnart out of you every round." Which is something no other class does.

But that's just me. You want 'em to dominate, go wild. :) Heck, do it and post your experiences! Agree or disagree, I'm sure it'd be an interesting window into pushing the game around.

You'll notice that I said spell casters, not wizards. And of course, it would apply to NPC casters.

As far as tracking things go, this is not that difficult. NPC spell casters tend to be few and far between, and how hard is it of the player of the PC spell caster to keep track of which spell he cast, whether it was last round or not, and whether he has two concentration spells up. It doesn't sound that tough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads