• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Crab a la King

AxeM

First Post
Scene 1: To the Crab Cave!

"Go get zee crab eggs!" Zitteaux shouts once more before shooing you all out.

GM: Heading out to the cave on the map is a reasonably easy task. Along the way you all have ample opportunity to catch everybody up to speed and to get to know each other a little bit better.

As you travel the walls of the city quickly give way to the lapping of water and sandy beaches. After about 3 hours of walking you find yourselves looking at a sandbar in front of the cave you're looking for. Tide seems quite low at the moment but it may not stay that way for long. The cave is dim light other then what you provide and is full of tidal pools.

We'll be using the Obsidion’s Skill Challenge system to resolve this encounter :
  • The Goal: bring Zitteaux as many crab eggs as possible from the cave before the tide comes in.

• Primary skills: Knowledge (nature) and Survival (using these skills provide a +2 bonus to the skill check).

• Write a post describing your character’s actions taken to achieve the goal. Each descriptive element earns the character one skill check (to a maximum of three skill checks). Additional descriptive elements may earn positive modifiers to the skill checks. Decide which skill or skills are used though it must match the description and be feasible for the completion of the goal. For example, a PC could talk to the crab eggs all night long trying to get them to march into his bag but it just won’t work; some skills, like Diplomacy, are unsuited for the successful completion of this challenge and cannot provide successes regardless of how good the check is. Despite that, be creative! If you have good descriptive elements in your post I will give you the benefit of the doubt. In your post include your descriptions and your dice rolls. I’ll add modifiers you earn and post results after everyone has posted.

GM: Any questions regarding what's going on or how things work please let me know, either here or by PM, I trust you can all come up with some fun descriptions of how you're helping the effort. For those of you more curious about the skill system you can read the whole thing here (page 3: What Everyone Needs to Know is the most pertinent).

OOC:
As a side note: Zitteaux didn't mention any specific reward, he's known to pay adventurers fairly for their labors though. Also we may or may not have a 5th player DrJest posted to the thread once but hasn't said anything else for a week, so there may or may not be a Dwarven warrior with you as well

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki quietly crosses the sandbar and heads towards the entrance of the cave. Finding a position where he can get a good view of the cave, moving into the cave if necessary, he scans the inside of the cave for any signs of crabs, crab nests, or crab eggs. Not knowing much about crabs or their caves, he looks for anything he would think of as unusual.

CR1T1C4L

First Post
The raven accepts the beetle from Fester happily and proudly says his name: "Ahbon!" However upon doing this, the bird received a mean look from it's master, making Ahbon spit all of the bug out. "Bollocks!" - the familiar says with a guilty look, making Elessar smile slightly. As he hears what work does the chef offer, he isn't very pleased. "Crabs?.." - he says with an annoyed look, followed up by a sigh. "I mean, sure thing, are we getting free samples?" - he adds as the group is being shooed out.

As they approach the cave, Elessar attempts to dig out any memories out of his head about the crabs and the location of their eggs, his familiar whispering him some pointers about the theme. Not that he needed the help of the bird too much, it just got the ball rolling.

[sblock=OOC]Elessar's going to roll his knowledge check while Ahbon does the same, however, Ahbon's aiding another to Elessar's skill check here. Forgot the +2's from using the primary skills, add them as necessary. That's a total of 20 on Elessar's check.[/sblock]

Last edited:

fggs02

First Post
Fester climbs atop a sandy mound and looks down upon his companions while he slips his hand into his spell component pouch and removes a decaying stick. He closes his eyes, and pictures in his mind, a beautiful crisp dawn by the beach on a spring day. The breeze ambles gently through his hair causing the subtle odor of decaying vegetation to permeate his vicinity.

Fester mumbles the words: illuminate sae gigantium

A small ball of light forms on the end of Fester's finger which he then applies to the decaying stick. A 60-foot radius centered on the stick illuminates the surrounding terrain. The stick is then wedged between Fester's ear and head.

OOC: Fester casts Daylight as a spell-like ability. It will last for 10 minutes.

Fester then pulls a silky smoothe Hawk feather out of his spell-component pouch and crumples it up in his clenched fist. He then utters the words:

Gesiho Sid Sigmoeides.

By now the feather has collasped into a fine powder which Feste rubs in his eyes.

OOC: Fester Casts Keen Senses on himself: +2 to Perception checks, and Fester gains low-light vision. Additionally Fester has Darkvision out to 120 feet due to his deepsight feat. Keen senses will last one minute.

Fester moves as close to Yoshiki as he can without disrupting his stealth with his Daylight spell.

Fester attempts to peer into the cave and takes note of any features at the entrance. He examines the ceiling, walls, and espectially the ground for any tracks in the sand with his keen visual acuity.

OOC: Perception check

Fester will attempt to identify any tracks or signs left behind by the beasts that dwell within this vast underground delight.

OOC: Survival check

Based upon the season of the year, Fester will try to ascertain the temperature of the refreshing pools of water inside of this damp playground of the natural world. Fester's Knowledge of Giant Crabs will tell him if these beasts are likely to be lurking under the water due to their comfort level with the water's temperature, or out of the water.

OOC: Knowledge(Nature) check

DrJest

First Post
Korey spends the three hour journey to the cave in relative silence, observing his temporary companions. Not the lot he normally surrounds himself with, but how hard can it be to grab up some eggs? At least there’s another of his own kind along.

Upon approaching the tidal cave, Korey begins to formulate a plan. Not being too bright, it takes him a bit. "Well, I could probably just walk up and grab some eggs. If there be any growed up crabs, I can just split’em open. Hmmm…."

Korey sees how the short human, Yoshiki he thinks the name is, seems to be sizing up the cave. Korey ambles over to his spot.
"So, how do you think we should be doin’ this? Me thoughts are just goin’ in and grabbing some eggs on the quick but…"

Korey examines the cave as best he can looking for adult crab tracks or signs of movement other than eggs.

OOC: Sorry so late getting in. I've been checking all week but failed to notice page 2 and 3 had come along. I'm in for the win now! As soon as I figure this dice roller out

Caim

First Post
Mortar approaches the cave opposite of Yo, attempting to get as close as possible to see inside the dark cave looking for dangers that the cave may hold, allowing his darkvision to adjust. Mortar then removes the light crossbow from his back and loads it, ready for any hostile movement.

Last edited:

AxeM

First Post
Scene 1: Crab Cave!

GM: The going has been rather slow so far, while the daylight has helped the party in finding crab eggs the attempts at tracking have not gone so well.

OOC: Remember each of you may contribute to the search up to 3 times.
Yoshiki may still contribute one more check to the skill challenge as may
Korey.
Elessar has two more checks available to help out.
(As a note the Obsidian Skill system doesn't generally use Aid Another. Instead checks made to assist the party, rather than accomplish ones that accomplish the task directly, are given the same worth and contribute to success. That said I still gave you the +2 for having the familiar get you started)

deisenhut

First Post
Seeing the rest of the group following up behind him and since he doesn't see anything inside yet, Yo starts to advance further into the cave, climbing over the rock formations and tries to avoid the tidal pools where possible. He is careful to watch his footing so that he doesn't slip.

Caim

First Post
Watching Yo as he descends into the tidal cave, Mortar attempts to follow, crossbow still in hand. Each step could be a mistake as Mortar watchs the rocks as much as the cave in front of him.

OOC:
Sorry if I suck a bit at this...my first EVER pbp game and character. My RL group are not RPers.

CR1T1C4L

First Post
Both the raven and the elf tried to spot any eggs without attracting too much attention.

[sblock=OOC]Same tactic with the rolls as with last post - the highest modifier does the actual check, the other one aids another.[/sblock]

Remove ads