[LPF] Darkness Rising

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Also, from a strictly rules perspective when it comes to flying, it would make more sense to have me roll perception under dark conditions to get the lay of the land, and then fly to see if I get airborne without hitting anything, and then fly again to see if I can maneuver away from any inanimate hazards without hitting them. Acrobatics just doesn't make sense because I am not performing an acrobatic maneuver in the air or on the ground. Acrobatics would be if I were doing some sort of airborne logic defying stunt such as a loop de loop. This is especially true since my method of flight is powered by magic, and not wings.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
With another two arrows in the yellow stalker, he collapses in a heap. On the far side, shrieks are heard when glowing arrows strike there. Tyrien's last arrow causes another stalker on the first side to yelp in pain. Agno heals himself at the edge of some light, only to have more darkness fall from the right side of the room. On the right, the wounded one cast deeper darkness upon the body of the still creature there, then ducks below the pews for more improved cover. All this, in an attempt to give his companion a chance at shooting again. Back to the left, a cloud of fog billows up from behind the table, obscuring the wounded stalker.

High overhead, the flapping of heavy wings bellows out of the darkness.​

[sblock=Second round of combat]
Tonris, unable to decide what to do in the dark, delays for the first round.

Moving in the darkness DC 10 Acrobatics skill check to move faster than half speed.

All
BLESS +1 Attacks and Saves vs. Fear 4.5 minutes
63/63 AC 22 Larissa ~ Bull's STR 4.6 min, +5 Stealth, move 30', Heroism,
28/43 AC 18 Agno ~ bow in hand ~ 9 daybreak arrows,
18/18 AC 17 Keeling (shoulder perch)
42/42 AC 13+cover Tonris ~
20/21 AC 18+cover Rex ~
5?/5? AC 16 Relios ~ mace and wand in hand, double moved to stairs
56/56 AC 24+cover Tyrien ~ bow in hand ~ 33 daybreak arrows, Prot f/Evil 4.5 min, +5 Stealth,

-6/39 AC 19 yellow dark stalker ~ light blind ~ unconscious
25/39 AC 19 green dark stalker ~ light blind ~ SLA fog cloud, concealed if you are not within 5'
39/39 AC 23 with cover red dark stalker ~ one shot at Tyrien (1d20+9=10) missed
27/39 AC 27 with imp cover orange dark stalker ~ casts deeper darkness and hunkers down for improved cover[/sblock][sblock=map]
citadel7a.png
[/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC]That is balls. I was going to take an action and I even said as much. I specifically said I wasn't going to delay. I merely wanted to clarify what the mechanics on flight happened to be. The problem with your rules is that in order to fly at half or less speed and remain in the air I require a DC 10 Fly check (auto pass assuming I am allowed to take a 10). Additionally if I were to fly straight up into the air at an angle exceeding a 45 degree angle (which I am presuming I would have to do in order to avoid the table in the first place while also not hitting the curtain fastenings) I would need to make a separate DC 20 Fly check. Now in order to even see these obstacles in the darkness would require a DC 5 Perception check, easy to make assuming I have a high enough bonus in perception to beat the penalties to perception for being in darkened conditions (that is of course going on the assumption that the Acrobatics check for movement exceeding 50% base speed is true because of the next paragraph).

Also, I am looking at the Vision and Light section of the SRD right now, and it specifically says that it is only under conditions of darkness (i.e. no light at all) that my character (who does not have darkvision) would be considered blinded, and it is only in cases when you are blinded that you need to make a DC 10 Acrobatics Check. You yourself have specified that there was dim light in the room, therefore Tonris should not be blinded at the point in time I was asking about flying due to that dim light. Therefore he should not require an acrobatics check to move. Even if he did require one, I would still have taken an action in the last round, and I am now royally pissed off because you progressed the round due to misinformation and not providing accurate descriptions of the conditions on the board, because it is now quite apparent to me that you never intended for there to be dim light in the room at all, despite Tyrien's arrows having hit their marks.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]DC: You were told a simple and straight answer. You want to argue about it. And whine and whine.
No.
Rule 0.
I am not delaying the game to argue.
[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa whispers a silent prayer asking courage of her Lady as the darkness closes in.
"Come, let us climb," she tells the priest. "Mind your step."

[sblock=actions]Double move, but at half-speed to avoid Acro check, for 30' total. If she hears Father Reinos pulling ahead of her (trying to move at full speed) I'd like to switch the action to a move at full speed, if that is possible.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Larissa stat block]

Larissa

Initiative: +0

AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)

HP: 63 Current: 63

CMB: +7 CMD: 17

Fort: +8 Reflex: +1 Will: +6 (currently wearing Cloak of Elvenkind, not Protection)

PER Roll: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:

+1 Greatsword Attack: +9 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]

Damage: 2d6+4, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture

Pow Att w/+1 Greatsword Attack: +7 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]

Damage: 2d6+10, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Pilum: Attack: +4 = [BAB(4) + DEX(0) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)]

Damage: 1d8+3, Crit: 20/x2, 20' Range incr.

Special: successful strike fouls a shield

Spells prepared:

0 Level (4) Level 01 (4+1) Level 02 (3+1) Level 03 (1+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Bull's Strength CAST:* Daybreak Arrow
* Read Magic CAST:* Protection from Evil CAST:* Bull's Strength CAST: * D: Heroism
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Remove Fear * D: Bless Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Channeling at current level: Channel 3d6,

DC 16 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for

Undead to Save. 5x/day, Selective (skip up to 2 targets)

Weapons:

+1 Greatsword Attack: +9 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]

Damage: 2d6+4, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture

Pow Att w/+1 Greatsword Attack: +7 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]

Damage: 2d6+10, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Pilum: Attack: +4 = [BAB(4) + DEX(0) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)]

Damage: 1d8+3, Crit: 20/x2, 20' Range incr.

Special: successful strike fouls a shield

[/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC]And since Tonris is in the same general vacinity as Tyrien (I assume) due to not having moved, he should also be benefiting from her daylight arrows as well. Further proof that I shouldn't have had to deal with the dim light or darkness conditions in order to fly in the first place.[/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I kind of need an answer on whether Tyrien and her Daybreak Arrows are close enough to Tonris so that their illumination cancels out the darkness so that he can get airborne this round or not. Additionally I will concede the previous rounds disagreement for now, but I am going to be bringing it up after the game is concluded with ALL of the judges involved. Because quite honestly I disagree with your ruling in this case Satin, and so does a Rules Nut friend of mine.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Before heading up the stairs, Relios uses the wand to light up the side of the staircase, momentarily blinding the archers and allowing him to run up the stairs as fast as his old legs can take him. Larissa, follows the old priest in quick step to make sure he is protected from what they may find on the climb.

[sblock=ooc]Warning: Jagermeister fueled rant ahead.[sblock=You were warned!] I had only time to draw one map before for the start of round 2. Tyrien had fired her four shots and (If the extra dimensional space was blocking light, which I thought I acknowledged, but apparently didn't, left her and Tonris in deeper darkness.) 50% of the time, Tyrien/Tonris were in dim light. Irrelevant for Tyrien for low light, but significant for Tonris, the human.

DC: Your the one pissing off the GM. 9 posts to bitch and whine, having not done a damn thing. I think it is comical that it would have only taken a 9 on an acrobatics roll to succeed as I called for. Yet, it requires you to get a 10 on the die roll for a fly check. And, flying in combat where there is a chance of pain in failure does not allow you to take 10. So, your bitching instead of taking the easier die roll.

You also annoyed me with the request a couple weeks ago to suicide your character so you can go do something else. The reason being, you leave the party "a man down" with no way for them to recruit and fix the problem.

Lets add to that, your not paying attention to the game that PM specifically warned you about. Your the last to act in the round, and you have to ask what round it is? I thought having spoilers labeled "mid surprise round" and "first full combat round" would have been sufficient clue, but I answered you anyways.

When I told you to do A or B, you did neither, so I picked B, delay. Was I too polite in putting in the "please" in the instructions? I'm not making that mistake with you again.

On top of this, you have the gall to "I need an answer" trying to speed me up. Really? Nine posts where you have done nothing, and you are telling me to speed up? I do have a few other games I have to tend to as well.

To make it clear: Tonris is still in deeper darkness, and needs to make an acrobatics check to move. If he makes his move conditional on when Tyrien draws her next arrow to fire, and gets a decent perception in that half second, he can use the harder fly check, without taking 10.

And, as soon as Tyrien goes, the three lights in Green/Yellow go out, dropping Green into darkness again. Although the fog is detrimental to finding him too.

p.s. PM and GE can speak up any time, if I am going overboard, in any method they choose. I think my annoyance with DC is justified, and so far I have not hit Tonris with any undue attacks.
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=mid second round]Tonris was unable to decide what to do in the dark, delayed for the first round.

Moving in the darkness DC 10 Acrobatics skill check to move faster than half speed.

All
BLESS +1 Attacks and Saves vs. Fear 4.5 minutes
63/63 AC 22 Larissa ~ Bull's STR 4.6 min, +5 Stealth, move 30', Heroism, followed Relios
28/43 AC 18 Agno ~ bow in hand ~ 9 daybreak arrows,
18/18 AC 17 Keeling (shoulder perch)
42/42 AC 13+4cover Tonris ~
20/21 AC 18+4cover Rex ~
5?/5? AC 16 Relios ~ mace and wand in hand, Cast Daylight on stairs, moves up stairs
56/56 AC 24+4cover Tyrien ~ bow in hand ~ 33 daybreak arrows, Prot f/Evil 4.5 min, +5 Stealth,

-6/39 AC 19 yellow dark stalker ~ unconscious
25/39 AC 19 green dark stalker ~ light blind ~ SLA fog cloud, concealed if you are not within 5'
39/39 AC 23 with cover red dark stalker ~ one shot at Tyrien (1d20+9=10) missed ~ light blind
27/39 AC 27 with imp cover orange dark stalker ~ casts deeper darkness and hunkers down for improved cover ~ light blinded anyways
[/sblock][sblock=map]
citadel8a.png
[/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC counter rant fueled on no sleep in the past 24 hours]I know that I said I would bring this up with the judges after the game, but since you decided to rant, and bring up a private conversation that I had with you with no intent of bringing up to the rest of the group since you swayed me to decide against it relatively EASILY. I am now officially pissed off enough that I might quit Living Pathfinder altogether because of one miserable Judge who can't interpret the rules, and who brings private (read confidential until otherwise specified) conversations into the public. If this were a professional job, you would be fired from your position due to incompetence solely based on the decision to announce a private conversation that I thought I had with you in confidence (hence the reason I sent it to you via Private Messages instead of in this thread itself).

I will admit, I should have stopped a while ago, and dropped it. But you see, I have a problem letting things go. Especially when I think the DM, or well anyone, is making a bad call. I have read the rules on Vision in the SRD. I can if I have to double check it in a hard copy of the Core Rulebook that I am sitting on top of in my room. But I am 100% certain that the Dim Light Status does not invoke the Blindness Rules. The Blindness rules are what cause players to have to roll an Acrobatics Check in order to move at faster than half speed.

That said, your interpretation of the rules is tantamount to requiring a human being (me) to have to roll an acrobatics check to walk through a field in the light of the Moon, at night. That is the stupidest thing I can think of ever. Unless I am walking through a dense forest under the light of the New Moon, in which case an acrobatics check would be justified. But a field, no way. I should be able to see the table, at the very least. That would enable me to get airborne by going over the table without hitting the curtain rods, which would be rather suspiciously placed if they allowed the curtain to drape onto the table. Additionally Curtain Rods do not generally constitute a sufficient obstacle to flight. At least not the ones I have ever seen.

Next is the fact that requiring an acrobatics check in order to get airborne, stay airborne and move at 50% or greater my airborne movement rate, is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What are you expecting me to do? Replicate the Blue Angels as a human being in flight? I don't know where you even got the idea that humans flying on their own power or via magic was something that required an acrobatics check, but humans are not designed for flight. If anything it would definitely require a fly check to do any kind of in combat maneuvering, not an acrobatics one. And even if you were justifying it based on me needing to see where I was going, I wasn't blind until the darn thing cast Deeper Darkness, and unless that table is animated without my knowledge somehow, I should be able to avoid it simply by remembering where it is in relation to me. Unless you are suggesting that the character with an 18 in intelligence can't remember where a table is.

Also, I have a +1 in Acrobatics. Meaning I would have to roll a 9 or better to make or beat a DC 10. Since you specifically precluded taking a 10 on a fly check while flying in combat, that would automatically also preclude taking a 10 on an acrobatics check while doing the exact same action. That said, I have a +10 bonus in Fly. Meaning I only have to roll a 2 or better (so I don't auto-fail) to beat a DC 10 Fly Check, and a 10 or better to beat a DC 20 Fly Check. So tell me again, which is the easier roll for me to do?

And finally, with regard to that confidential conversation I had with you via private messages. You had absolutely ZERO right to bring that up in conversation here, since I explicitly told you at the conclusion of that Conversation that I didn't want to go through with that plan of action afterall. And even if I did want to suicide Tonris still, I would have put a preficture on it that suiciding me would only happen in the final encounter unless combat conditions went so sourly (i.e. bad rolls on my part all around which not even you can stop) that I ended up dying a "natural" death before that time.

The entire reason I had that conversation was because at the time I didn't fully grasp the fact that our game's death and retirement rules were the same whether your character died during the course of an adventure or you retired the character outside the adventures. Meaning that my replacement character would start at the minimum experience total allowed for whatever level Tonris ended up retiring or dying at, regardless of how it happened.

As far as my "Not Paying Attention" believe it or not. I actually am paying attention. My confusion about what round it is, is generated by your constant updates mid combat. You update every single time one of us does something in combat. That confuses me, I lose track of what has happened and when because I cannot personally follow that many DM posts in a single combat. I am sorry but I am not gifted at following 10 posts per day from the same person. And your posting rate is bordering on very close to that. I know this rant has put me in the same category as you right now, and has probably ticked off all of our other players, for which I am deeply sorry, I did not intend it to last this long, I merely wanted clarification on how the darkness affected my flight, but his clarification made no sense to me from a logical mechanical perspective. And when I looked deeper into it, I found his explanation contradicted the rules as written.

Also, technically because of the nature of my fly ability, I shouldn't need to make a fly check to avoid furniture. You defined Tonris initially as in Dim Light. If that were the case, he could have taken flight in such light without requiring any kind of check other than what would be necessary to avoid losing 10 feet of altitude if he were hit. The fact that you are requiring me to make a check that has nothing to do with flying at all, whatsoever, to move at a speed greater than 50% my movement rate is laughable. That said I will take the high road and do the following instead:[/sblock]

Tonris decides not move from his current position. Instead he begins channeling energy from the world around him, drawing it into a tight coil within himself and forming it into a coalesced circle around him. All the while chanting an arcane verse from his home island.

[sblock=Actions]Full Round Action to conclude at the start of my next turn. Casting Summon Monster III to summon a Cheetah in square X-8.

Rex will not take an action this turn, so delaying Rex[/sblock]
[sblock=Tonris, Mini Stats]Initiative: +9
Perception: -1 (it is +1 if within arm’s reach of Familiar)
Armor Class: 13 (Flat-Footed: 12 // Touch: 12)
Mage Armor Class: 16 (Flat-Footed: 15 // Touch: 12)
Hit Points: 42 Current // 42 Total
BAB: +3 CMB: +4 CMD: 15
Fort: +4 Ref: +3 Will: +5
Special Resistances: a +1 Trait Bonus to Saving Throws against Divine Spells.
Concentration Check: 1d20 +10 (plus an additional 4 if casting defensively)
Caster Level Check: 1d20 +6
MovementBase Land Speed: 30 feet // Flying Speed: 60 feet

Primary Weapon: M.W. Quarterstaff (Attack Bonus: +5 || Damage: 1d6+1 / 1d6+1 || Critical: 20/x2 || Double Weapon || Masterwork)
Secondary Natural Weapon: Prehensile Hair (Attack Bonus: +2 || Damage: 1d3+2 || Critical: 20/x2 || 10 foot reach)
Wands: Wand of Mage Armor (39 Charges remaining), Wand of Neutralize Poison (5 charges remaining), Wand of Daylight (8 charges remaining)

Class Abilities & Spells
Hexes:
Evil Eye:
can be used on any one target within 30 feet whom Tonris can see. This ability gives a -2 penalty to one of the following: AC, Ability Checks, Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, or Skill Checks for 7 rounds. Will save DC 16 reduces effect to just 1 round.
Flight: grants a +4 racial bonus on swim checks, allows the use of feather fall at will, and allows Tonris to cast Levitate once per day (0 / 1 per day). Tonris can fly for a number of minutes per day equal to his level (1 / 5 minutes per day)
Prehensile Hair: Grants Tonris the ability to manipulate his hair for a total of 4 minutes per day. These minutes need not be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1 minute intervals (0 / 4 minutes per day).
Slumber: causes the target to fall asleep as per the sleep spell. Range 30 feet. The target is granted a will save to negate the effect. If the save fails the target falls asleep for a number of rounds equal to Tonris’ level. This hex can affect a target of any hit dice level. The target will not wake due to noise or light, but it can be roused by a comrade. This hex ends immediately if the target takes damage. Due to Accursed Hex the target can be targeted again if it succeeds on its save the first time. Otherwise it cannot be targeted again with this hex for a full day.

Prepared Spells
Cantrips (DC – 14): Guidance; Resistance; Detect Magic; Stabilize
First Level (DC – 15): Cure Light Wounds; Burning Hands; Ear Piercing Scream; Ray of Enfeeblement
Second Level (DC – 16): Cure Moderate Wounds; Touch of Idiocy; Enthrall; Web
Third Level Spells (DC - 17): Summon Monster III; Spit Venom; Bestow Curse[/sblock]
[sblock=Rex, Mini Stats]
Dinosaur, Compsognathus

Neutral, Tiny Animal

Init: +6; Senses: Lowlight Vision, Scent; Perception +4
AC: 18, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Nat, +2 Size)
Mage Armor AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 19 (+2 Dex, +3 Nat, +4 Mage Armor, +2 Size)
HP: 20 / 21 (1d8+2 treated as if it had 6d8+2)
Saves: Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +4
Speed: 40 ft, Swim 20 ft.
Melee: – Bite +3, (1d3-1 + poison, 5 foot reach)
Space: 2.5 feet // Reach: 0 feet
Ability Scores: STR 8, DEX 15, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 5
Base Attack: +2; CMB +2; CMD 11
Feats: Improved Initiative
Skills: Perception +4, Swim +7, plus all skills that Tonris has ranks in
Poison (Bite - Injury) Save Fort DC 12: Frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; 1d2 STR; Cure = 1 save.
Eidolon Evolutions: Reach (Bite) (1)
Special Abilities Alertness, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Store Spells, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak with Master[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads