Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo looked skeptical about the story and shrugged at Vincenzo’s question. “Hmm, this Mindy sounds like a tale that would be told to somebody. I shall think about that.”

“But exactly was the job? It was not simply to come here and kill some people and go home, was it?”
he asked calling upwards to the invisible ogre mage.

He was rather disgusted by the idea that he thought that a simple raid might have been the whole purpose, but he had to ask to be sure that was what they were dealing with.

“How were you to collect payment from this Mindy? Was there a place to meet her?”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow & Whip

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 22/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 4/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 3/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo 002.jpg

"Barlo, what kind of undead frightens a mighty Oni?"

A thought crosses Vincenzo mind as it shows in his eyes.

"Here is not there, we are where she is. It was a trap."

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 26 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 29 (23 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise
AC: 31, 23 FF,27 Touch
With haste:
28/21/22

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: longbow +12/+7 damage 1d8+2; additional mods:[+2 att, dam insp corg][+1 att bless][ xtra att, +1 att, +1 dodge a/c and reflex; +30 to move haste]

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock]
[/][/][/][/][/][/]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo was thinking, “Might not be undead... could be shape shifting outsider.”

Barlo's Knowledge (19)
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow & Whip

Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 4/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]

Aura

Explorer
A quiet falls over the group as you wait for a response of some sort of Barlo's most recent questions. However, after a few moment, it seems none is forthcoming... or that you need to wait yet longer. Ethane peers upward, tapping his spear on the road. He looks over at Maui, Vencenzo, then Barlo, before looking upwards again.

[sblock=Barlo]After some consideration, there just isn't enough information to go on with Mindy to do more than hazard a guess. However, it is quite possible she is otherworldly. As low level dark elves can't tell the difference between giants and oni, perhaps oni can't tell the difference between undead and extra-planar entities.[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat Over]I am accounting your experience gain. It's a lot of TBX/TBG with the combat award coming Feb 11, the day when neither side took further combat action. I'm fully anticipating level-ups so check page one once I have it updated. It should be tonight.[/sblock]
[sblock=Ethane Beray]As noted, since we are now out of combat, control of Ethane Beray may be assumed by one of the players, so long as (1) the three of you agree on who it shall be, and (2) the character is treated with respect. The assuming player will want to read over his character sheet (Ethane is a non-standard cleric) and will be asked to keep track of his spells and abilities per day (I have a track of which spells/abilities have been used so far and will send it by private message). Just let me know.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo frowned and shook his head. He put away his whip, almost disappointed he could not show of his talents with it.

“I let my thoughts consider, adn I just cannot recall any tales about a Mindy that is dangerous. There was a barmaid that could su-... never mind. It is not pertinent.”

With the silence to their last questions, it appeared the ogre mage had fled. “Now what? Continue onward, I guess?”

Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

"Barlo, Where did the Oni go?"

After a pause, Vincenzo continues, "What if the 'Mindy' is watching what is going on, like we were little ants being watched by a child? The Oni would be removed because he was about tell us about something. I would hazard a guess he was whisked away rather then killed because we would have heard him thump when he fell."

[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 26 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 29 (23 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise
AC: 31, 23 FF,27 Touch
With haste:
28/21/22

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: longbow +12/+7 damage 1d8+2; additional mods:[+2 att, dam insp corg][+1 att bless][ xtra att, +1 att, +1 dodge a/c and reflex; +30 to move haste]

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock]
[/][/][/][/][/][/][/]

jbear

First Post
Maui peers upwards, eventually getting to his feet when it becomes clear the oni has gone, whether silenced or fled for fear of the repercussions answering Barlo's clever question might have. Maui trots over to the door of the inn that remains central to the lit area on top of the hill and scratches the door with his sharp claws. In his altered state he is far to big to get in the door, but if they are going to continue trying to resolve this mystery, inside teh tavern seems like the next place to look. Taniwha, finishes his cleansing of his sticky paws and also pads over, sitting down to keep watch beside his master.

Aura

Explorer
The Clockwork Boar

The group heads to the Clockwork Boar. It built into a defensive structure overlooking a bluff on the south side of the island. Ideally located on the Silver Road, it is clear this serves as the premier inn for Tritower. The Inn itself old three story tall building, and running perpendicular to it is a stable. As you enter the courtyard, the vast and eerie silence ends, dull greyness brightens to normal colors, and you are greeted with the sights and sounds of gnomish children playing with a small animate mechanical boar. One of them approaches you, the equivalent of a teenage boy, and after a greeting, notes you have no horses and urges you into the main building, leading the way and calling for "papa!" as he runs.

Once inside, you see the boy excitedly pointing to you and a full grown gnome dressed in worker's clothes and an apron nodding, looking your way. The inner features of the Inn are unremarkable, with a large room dominating the first floor where guests eat and lounge about. The most notable structure is the recessed pool. Nearly a full level down, it opens directly onto the Tang river. This allows for merfolk to come into the inn, and there is a serving area for them in the water itself. And as the inn has a number of customers, some of the merfolk customers reside here (several male, one female, all impressive, beautiful, and dressed in very little.)

With the merfolk is a young human woman, the only one in the inn to cross the unwritten 'merfolk in the pool, everyone else not in the pool' rule. She has an easy smile and ruffled, short blonde hair, casting an interested look at you as you enter, then continuing to regale the merfolk with some story. One of them chuckles and slaps the water with his tail, splashing a bit.

The bill of fare is written on a sign, and one of the more interesting items on the menu is Merbeer. No explanation is given, however.

[sblock=Barlo]I misunderstood what you were rolling for--I thought it was a question about which undead or extra-planar entities might qualify. However, your IC tells me otherwise, so let us resolve that. You can have it 'come to you' at any time, as it requires a bit of recollection and processing.

Barlo knows of no Mindy specifically. However, the Oni's fear of her, and mention of the fact she is very young, triggers some loose memories of overheard rumors. By assuming they are related, then stitching together bits from multiple speakers in Venzan establishments as well as the camp to the south of Tritower, a story of a child killer can be assembled, with an ensuing execution.[/sblock]
[sblock=About Ethane]To reiterate, if anyone wants to run Ethane, now is the time (before the next combat) to talk about it. Otherwise, I'm resting that subject and will continue to have him help you as best I can.[/sblock]
[sblock=Level Ups]I finished the xp calculations and brought everyone up to date. You all may work on your level-ups.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=aura] do you mind running Ethane? I prefer that the character be run as an NPC, personally, just in case Jackslate45 returns[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
[section]
Looking over the interior of the Inn, Ethane begins to smile, but the expression doesn't last. "It is as I remember, but knowing it might not be real makes it disconcerting, to say the least. Anyway, the gnome with the apron is Ethan Emberdawn, owner of the inn." As the priest speaks those words, it seems the man in question is headed your way, albeit with a short detour to clean a couple tables, delaying his arrival.​
[/section]
[sblock=about Ethane]I'll be retaining control of Ethane. I'll be adding a faux level to him to keep him compatible with the group, and trying to keep him actively engaged, both in combat and out. And I prefer to have IC in as many posts as possible, so I've included a little more information even though nobody has acted yet.[/sblock]

Remove ads