• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo was not sure if going to the courtyard was far enough outside the location of the tavern. Evidence of the children playing was probably still part of it.

“Right, I still don’t smell anything but the odors from the kitchen…”

“Master Emberdawn, does it smell of the latrine, or is it more like decay of the dead? Anyway, we might as well try the food.”

“But I still want to know the date and day of the week, if you don’t mind. It is important and a quip about it being a fine time fix your inn is not an answer that would help.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 22/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 4/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 3/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
EthanEmberdawn.jpg
. . . . Ethan Emberdawn . . . .

Already busy wiping down an already clean table, the innkeeper pauses. "Day? I think it's Wednesday... Thursday? I dunno, odd. Why does it matter so much to you, need to be somewhere? Is there some way a good meal and a proper roof over your head for the night might help? Just let me know!" With that, the little gnome pulls out a knife and uses it to scrape at the table's surface in some relentless pursuit of the war on grime.

"Anyway," Mr. Emberdawn continues, as he scrapes away, "if I were to put words to it, it smells like a winter manor home... in the spring. Every disgusting odor people are capable of manufacturing, all rolled together in a stench extravaganza, as if nobody has cleaned in a year or two! But don't you worry, Tritower's finest inn will not rest until all offending dirt and stench has been eliminated!" Standing back from the table, he gestures to it, "Here, this table is clean enough for you to eat at."

In the background, Ethane watches on with a wide-eyed expression. He shakes his head a moment, then looks again.

[sblock=Maui size]Maui was able to make it into the building by squeezing through the doorway. Once inside, the common room is big enough for him. However, the gnomes have rebuilt their personal areas, the kitchen, etc, to small size (giving them twice as much floorspace due to getting two half height floors per level), so he cannot even squeeze through the internal door.

Although technically he has some of his animal growth spell duration left, it's not important enough to warrant going back and ret-conning previous posts. Additionally, I don't want to exclude you as a player from the scene. If, by the next combat there is still duration left on it (1 minute/level) you will still get it the balance. But for now, let's just keep going with the assumption Maui was able to wiggle his way into the building.[/sblock]
[sblock=Sewers]So far, you've seen nothing indicating an entrance to the sewers. It is difficult to asses whether or not they even exist.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

"Master Ember dawn, I really only smell food" Is all Vincenzo gets out before the gnome disappears. His eyes rest on Ethane who is seemingly acting rather odd.

He waves him over to the table to join them, if not for the food, then to find out why he is acting so odd. Does he see something that is off like what is seen sometimes here by his companions? He squints his eyes and tilts his head, even tries to relax his mind and one would their body to see if can see something.

[sblock=Aura]I have leveled up Vincenzo and announced it in the level up thread.[/sblock]
[sblock=stat block]
skills possibly needed at this moment:
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 26 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 29 (23 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise
AC: 31, 23 FF,27 Touch
With haste:
28/21/22

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: longbow +12/+7 damage 1d8+2; additional mods:[+2 att, dam insp corg][+1 att bless][ xtra att, +1 att, +1 dodge a/c and reflex; +30 to move haste]

Temporary/charged items in possession: healing potions, Healing wand

Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
mwk silver mace, att +15/+10, dam 1d6+4, crit x2, type b
[/sblock]
[/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/]

jbear

First Post
Maui, feeling rather enclosed in the tavern common room, unable to progress or investigate any further into the small gnome sized areas beyond the common room, let's out an audible sigh. A very human sounding sigh. "Maui is to big to follow te smell" he rumbles in common, the words crystal clear in their meaning as they emerge from between his sharp fangs. Maui is seemingly as surprised as anyone else that he suddenly spoke. So surprised he raises a paw up to his mouth to cover it as though he had just said something offensive accidently. Then his tiger face breaks into a massive smile which is perhaps one of the weirdest things one could hope to see a tiger ever do. "Tane has blessed Maui with te Wild Tongue!" Whatever such an honour means to the jungle warrior he is obviously exstatic about it.

Finally able to speak in his wild form, Maui expresses his thoughts on the rather perplexing puzzle Tritower poses. "So we are caught in te mischief of te evil child. Maybe dead? Dead not smell good. This man smell something bad... te man crazy or te man tell us something of what happen before te evil child spell catch Tritower? He clean like he crazy... maybe just crazy. But te temple we saw a fight. Here te barman smell te bad smell... Clues to find te evil child?" The massive tiger sniffs the air. "Maui not knows, but Maui's nose smell something for real. Te real smell come from behind te door. Handsome Blade, may you can go see where te real smell comes from?" He scratches a deep line into the door in question wondering if his sharp claw is actually capable of scratching the door or not.

[sblock=OOC] I have levelled up Maui. He has taken Wild Speech as his lvl 11 feat, so... he can talk now! [/sblock]

Scott DeWar

The venzin bladesman does not hide his surprise at hearing Maui speak, and grins as big as the giant cat does . . .well, almost anyway . . . then looks at the door to see if the claw does or does not leave a mark.

"I smell food, Maui, what do you smell? Oh, but of course I will go look. But if I come running out with a smile on my face it would only because I snuck a taste of something delightful and got caught. But first, Our war priest seems disturbed by something, let us find out wha it might be"

[sblock=Aura]I have leveled up Vincenzo and announced it in the level up thread.[/sblock]
[sblock=stat block]
Perception +11 Stealth +6

AC: 26 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 29 (23 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise
AC: 31, 23 FF,27 Touch
With haste:
28/21/22

HP: 112/112

CMB: +13 CMD: 26
vs trip
CMB: +15 CMD: 28
vs disarm
CMB: +18 CMD: 31

Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +11 Stealth +6

Current Weapon in Hand: longbow +12/+7 damage 1d8+2; additional mods:[+2 att, dam insp corg][+1 att bless][ xtra att, +1 att, +1 dodge a/c and reflex; +30 to move haste]

[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo had his confirmation that the tavern owner was likely another of the illusionary folk and dead already… or more hopefully only trapped in some sort of enchantment. He sat down at the table, not to eat, but to contemplate the situation better.

He looked at the great cat with an arched eyebrow when Maiu spoke. “Sooo, the cat no longer has your tongue, eh.”

“Unfortunately, I cannot answer any of your so eloquent presented concerns and ideas, Maui. Aye, Vincenzo go ahead and check it out. Mayhap another clue will present itself.”

Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 4/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]

Scott DeWar

With mischief in his eyes, a spring in his step, a waggle of his brows a smile on his face he slips as silently into the kitchen to see what he can find. Though, he has no idea what he should be looking for, he does keep the odd behavior of the battle cleric itching in the back of his mind

notes: He will keep his sword sheathed, but hand at the ready.

If he needs to bluff, his minimum roll is 18 with a +17 to the roll.

If battle ensues, and the other is armed, he will dis arm and use non lethal if a townsfolk kind of person.

[sblock=stat block]
Perception +13 Stealth +6 Bluff +17

AC: 27 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 30 (24 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise [+2/+3]
AC: 32, 23 FF,25 Touch
With haste:
29/21/23

HP: 122/122

+4 to cnfirm crit

rapier attack: +21/+16/+11 crit range: 15-20/x2 +2d6 bleed [stacks with self]
dam: 1d6+10

CMB: +14 CMD: 27
vs trip
CMB: +17 CMD: 29
vs disarm
CMB: +20 CMD: 32

Fort: +12 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +13 Stealth +6

Current Weapon in Hand:none

longbow +12/+7 damage 1d8+2; additional mods:[+2 att, dam insp corg][+1 att bless][ xtra att, +1 att, +1 dodge a/c and reflex; +30 to move haste]

[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
[section]
Ethane slides onto one of the seats next to Vincenzo. Leaning in to listen, he fields the swordmaster’s question, saying, “Please understand, the priest, Lamar, seemed almost identical to the way I remember him, save for the fact he didn’t recognize me. But this version of Mr. Emberdawn,” with that, Ethane steals a glance over at the little inkeeper, “not only fails to recognize me, but seems almost crazy in his obsession about cleaning. He was always a bit of a stickler for cleanliness, but this is clearly insane!”
[/section]

Thinking about Ethane’s words, Vincenzo, for the life of him, can’t find a spec of dirt on the table, or even caked to it, after the gnome went after it with a knife’s edge. It’s easily as clean as most tavern’s plates, if not more so. Vincenzo concludes it would be perfectly safe to eat off this table, it is so clean.

As Vincenzo comes to his conclusion, Maui suddenly speaks up, and heads turn. Mr. Emberdawn seems interested, but it is the the human woman over in the pool who stops her story a moment in reaction to the odd event. She looks over as the great cat launches into extended conversation, then goes back to entertaining her merfolk friends.

However, the end of Maui’s discussion really demands Mr. Emberdawn’s attention. The great cat claws at the door, and it scratches in a seemingly normal fashion (which is to say, as deeply as he intended.) The gnome immediately runs over.

EthanEmberdawn.jpg
. . . . Ethan Emberdawn . . . .

“Mr Talking Cat, stop this at once! Why are you doing this? And you talk, by the three ladies, I’ve never heard such a thing!”
Mr. Emberdawn seems ready to complain further, when he sees Vincenzo begin to crawl into the service area of the in. “You,” he addresses, pointing his finger at the man on all fours, “where are you going?” Turning his attention back to Maui, “This is all highly irregular! What’s going on?” By the time he manages to look back to Vincenzo, there is nothing but the subtle sound of a dragging sword scabbard. The gnome sighs… deeply.

Moments later, Vincenzo pokes his head through an open doorway and finds a kitchen. A high pitched humming comes from the cook as she works some dough, a pot of stew sending pleasant vapors the fighter’s way. From the voice, build, dress style and height, Vincenzo is relatively sure the cook is a gnomish woman. Oh, and that the stew is lamb-based. Clearly, it’s lamb tonight.

Back at the table, Ethane looks at Barlo. Sinking his face into his hands, he mentions, “Perhaps there is something we are not seeing, here. Mr. Emberdawn acts as a gnome possessed, to say the least.”

[sblock=complex]I hope I threaded your actions into the narrative appropriately, in terms of Maui basically running interference for Vincenzo. I thought it would resolve more amusingly that way. If I overstepped, let me know.[/sblock]
[sblock=Vincenzo]Not that it matters too much for Vincenzo’s action, but the gnome hasn’t left the room. He stood back from the table to allow you easy access to the chairs.[/sblock]
[sblock=Maui]Still have to get your level-up approved. You’re the only one left of this group.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Vincenzo will look for an implement in the kitchen to try and skewer some Lamb and a potato . . . . . and look for any doors or doorways out.

ooc: Aura
take note of the note below
notes: He will keep his sword sheathed, but hand at the ready.

If he needs to bluff, his minimum roll is 18 with a +17 to the roll.

If battle ensues, and the other is armed, he will dis arm and use non lethal if a townsfolk kind of person.
Given his sword is still sheathed, Where is the sound coming from?
. . . . . . .
ooc: Also, I thought the gnome had left. Oh well - there is mischief in the air! Also, how clean is the kitchen? As clean as the tables?

[sblock=stat block]
Perception +13 Stealth +6 Bluff +17

AC: 27 (21 flat-footed, 20 touch)
with Combat expertise:
AC: 30 (24 flat-footed, 23 touch)
fighting defensively and combat expertise [+2/+3]
AC: 32, 23 FF,25 Touch
With haste:
29/21/23

HP: 122/122

+4 to cnfirm crit

rapier attack: +21/+16/+11 crit range: 15-20/x2 +2d6 bleed [stacks with self]
dam: 1d6+10

CMB: +14 CMD: 27
vs trip
CMB: +17 CMD: 29
vs disarm
CMB: +20 CMD: 32

Fort: +12 Reflex: +8 Will: +6

Perception: +13 Stealth +6

Current Weapon in Hand:none

longbow +12/+7 damage 1d8+2; additional mods:[+2 att, dam insp corg][+1 att bless][ xtra att, +1 att, +1 dodge a/c and reflex; +30 to move haste]

[/sblock]

[sblock=mace]
[/sblock][/QUOTE]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo nodded in agreement with Ethane’s assessment. He muttered in a low voice, “Right, there is definitely something off with the guy.”

“The thing is that I am still at a loss on what to actually do about it. Maybe we are not looking at the souls of those trapped, but a magical reflection of their personality while the real people are trapped in another plane of existence…”

“This way out of my expertise. Dammit, man, I am not a wizard.”

“I wonder if the ale is safe to drink,”
he raises a hand and signals the tavern staff so he can place an order for a pitcher and some mugs. “And bring a bowl for our furry friend too.”

Remove ads