• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Through the Looking Gate

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Tasanto's hammer swing in round 1 hit the gnome. We are not in round 2 yet as far as I can tell so he doesn't have the full round attack available. Tasanto purposely attempted to provoke the AoO because they normally miss, provoking one from him. It is part of his bag of tricks. The eidolon just didn't take the bait this time. That's fine.

Round 2, yeah, Tasanto will be dropping the hammer and going into full attack mode.
I don't understand how the gnome disappeared from my see invisibility, but that doesn't matter for now.

I think we are all waiting on Maui and Taniwha's round one actions to finish the round.
[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
[sblock=OOC] Summoner does not benefit from Shield Ally when eidolon is grappled. If I understand right when you grapple you are also considered grappled. So Prone AC of Summoner is 12.

Both Maui and Taniwha have Scent ability and can pinpoint the Summoner as he is within 5ft. So how does this interact with the 50% miss chance?

"The ability to move about unseen is not foolproof. While they can't be seen, invisible creatures can be heard, smelled, or felt."

After all the descriptions of how attacking invisible creatures works it then states (in the area where there are exceptions to the main rule):

"A creature with the scent ability can detect an invisible creature as it would a visible one."

Also: Maui's HP total seems incorrect on DM combat stats. I am not sure where the AC 21 is coming from unless you are considering that Maui's spells have not worn off yet and he still has Mage Armour and Barkskin? If so I think I have confused the amount of time that has passed.

In any case Maui had healed to full before this combat so he was on 67 MAX HPs. Bite dealt 20 dmg taking him to 47 HPs. If his spells have worn off in Tiger form his AC is 16, so claw also hit for another 13 dmg taking him to 34 HPs. If he still has mage armour and Barkskin then the claw did miss and he remains on 47 HPs.
[/sblock]

Ignoring the talking dog and it's savage hold on him Maui goes wild snapping and clawing at the ground where the summoner has dropped. Despite being unable to see him, Maui's sensitive nose lets him know exactly where he is. The sickly crunch of torn flesh and snapped bone indicates that Maui has found the invisible gnome and begun tearing him to shreds.

If he remains alive:

Likewise Taniwha follows suit, unleashing another flurry of wild attacks at the invisible gnome whose bloody scent is still fresh in his mouth.

If he is dead:

Taniwha tries to rip into the talking dog that has master in a death hold but the creature is much too slippery.

[sblock=Actions] Maui full attack vs prone Gnome with Power Attack: Bite: 29=Potential Crit for 19 dmg; Claw: 23=Hit for 18 dmg; Claw 12=Hit for 16 dmg Crit confirm= Crit Crit: 30 for 18 dmg
Forgot to Add +1 dmg for Dirty fighter to all three dmg rolls (multiplied by crit as well?): +3 (or +4 ?) dmg

Rolling for concealment in case it is ruled scent does not negate:
Under 50% = MISS
Bite: 76% Hit!!!!: Critical Hit with Dirty Fighter dmg bonus= 18+18+2 dmg = 38 dmg
Claw: 96% Hit!: 18 + 1 dmg = 19 dmg
Claw: 56% Hit!: 16 + 1 dmg = 17 dmg
All three attacks hit: Rolls
Total Damage to gnome: 74 dmg

With Taniwha's Bite ( 7 dmg (not 6 as he gets +1 from Magic Fang) and Tasanto's Hammer (10 dmg) Gnome has taken 91 dmg. I think he must be dead.

If he is dead Taniwha attacks the eidolon instead. If he remains alive Taniwha will attack summoner as well.

If vs gnome: Power Attack Bite 15 vs AC=Hit for 10 dmg; Claw 15= Hit vs AC for 12 dmg; Claw 22 vs AC for 12 dmg (Sorry put Maui as character but these rolls are for Taniwha)

If scent negates concealment: 34 dmg total

vs 50% concealment:
Bite: 21 = Miss
Claw: 5 = Miss
Claw 16 = Miss
If concealment applies: All 3 attacks miss: Rolls

If vs Eidolon: All 3 attacks miss [/sblock]

Updated Map

[sblock=Lvl 7 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +2
AC: 20 (Touch 13; FFt 18)
HP: 67 Current: 34
CMB: +10 CMD: 22 Fort: +6 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

Conditions: Dire Tiger form

In Hand:
Cold Iron MW Scimitar: +10; 1d6+6 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: CLW 0/2; 2/3 Summon Nature's Ally
2nd: Bull's Strength: used, Bark Skin: Used, Resist Energy 0/2
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Greater Magic Fang: Used, Resist Energy, Communal: Used
4th: Summon Nature Ally IV
Wild Shape: 0/3 uses left per day

[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 15 , touch 15 , flat-footed 12
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 1d8+6; 2 Claws: +11; 1d4 +6 dmg
View attachment 57927
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 1d6+6; 2 Talons: +11; 1d8+6 dmg; Foreclaws: +5; 1d4+3
View attachment 57928
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape II]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 , touch 14 , flat-footed 14
Speed 40 ft.
Melee:Bite +12; 2d6+7 (+Grab); 2 Claws: +12 ; 2d4+7 dmg (+Grab)
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6753809_f520.jpg
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 10/16
Communal Wand of CLW 50/50
Wand of Magic Fang: 46/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 48/50
Wand of Mage Armor: 48/50
Potions: CLW 2/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 22
HP: 50 Current: 50
CMB: Trip/Disarm +10 (+11) CMD: 25 (29 vs Trip) Fort: +7 Reflex: +11 Will: +3

Conditions: Greater Magic Fang (6hrs);

Bite: +10 (+11) ; 1d6+4 (+5) dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +10 (+11); 1d3+4 (+5) dmg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
The ferocity of the tiger's attacks spill blood everywhere, and the gnome can be heard coughing and saying "Damnit....Wolfie! Breath Attack Now! Finish it!"

The white wolf releases Maui, takes a careful step over his master's body, and seems to draw the electricity from the hands back into the center of his mouth. Targeting the giant tiger that ripped his friend apart, the breath only hits a part of Maui, who is able to dodge the worst of the blow. Vincenzo also is able to dodge the worst of it, and Mika's grace allows her to duck under the worst of it.

It is Menik who is unable to dodge, keeping his focus on the gate. While the attack was not enough to drop him, Menik is finding it extremely difficult to stay standing right now.

There is also the smell of something burnt, as Lem sees the poor gnome unable to stand and succumb to the wounds he received from the great tiger. The blast of lightning burn away the entire body except for a ring, a cloak, and a silver clasp that ties the cloak together.

The gate, instead of 2 glowing runes, now only has one more.

[sblock=Menik + Galandra]
When the Gnome died, you 'felt' that the vibrations in the gate seemed to jump for joy, and almost as soon as the 4th verse ends the 5th one seems to sing without help from Menik or Galandra. You only need to do the final part of the incantation to complete the ritual.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Round 2]

Unfortunately, scent does not negate total concealment from Invisibility/Fog Cloud/Darkness/etc etc. It only verifies that you are, in fact, in that square. Means little when your hitting however.

Most spells did in fact wear off (there was an hour delay, so Tasanto's See Invisibility was also gone, but he was still able to see the gnome due to 'something'. That something jumped to Lem before the Gnome Died.).

Also, the gnome was at 91/98 HP, but given the ferocity of Maui's attack I'm going to kill him with the eidolon's breath. He didn't go as I originally planned, but he didn't consider you guys threats until his research was missing. Shoulda attacked once Maui moved to flank...

8d6=32, Maui 1d20+6=23, Vincenzo 1d20+5=22, Mika 1d20+9=17, Menik 1d20+5=12

Enemies:
4 legged creature(Eidolon): 6/?? AC: 24 + 4
5' Step
Lightning Breath
Still Exists

Gnome Researcher: Alot/98 AC: 12 + 4(MA) Invisible; 50% chance on everyone except Lem. Killed with Lightning Breath.

5/6 Spellcraft Checks Completed; The Gnome's death counted as 1 success.

Round 1 of Resilient Eidolon

Heroes:
Nysys 28 28/29
--Tasanto 52/52
Menik 17 0/32
Lem 23 26/32
Galandra 17 50/52
Vincenzo 20 43/79
Maui 16 18/56:
Taniwha 22 50/50

[/sblock]

Updated Map with Disintegrated Body

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
Tasanto drops his hammer and goes claw to claw with the wolf. But, just like himself, this eidolon is a bit hard to get through it's armor. None of his claws or bite are able to get through it's hide.
[section]
[sblock=actions]Free: drop hammer
full attack: Claw/claw/bite (1d20+8=9, 1d20+8=19, 1d20+8=19) all miss
[/sblock][sblock=Tasanto Nysys' Mini-stats]
Half-elf Tasanto ....(inactive)
HP 58/58; AC 13+4, Touch 12, FF 15; Init -2, Low-light vision, Move 30'
Fort: +7, Reflex +3, Will +12, CMB +5, CMD 17
Perception +15, Sense Motive +14,

Unarmed Strike +6, d6+1+d6 shock, Stunning Fist 2/day

Lucerne Hammer +7, d12+1 with 10' reach
Handbo +6, d6+1 (in haversack)
Dagger +6, d4+1
Sling, +2, d4+1
.......... Sling Bullets 9 Normal

Cattaur Beast Nysys ........... (active)
HP 52/52 real, 28/29 temp, AC 24+4, 16 Touch, 22+4 FF; Init +2, Darkvision, Move 40' Mage Armor 5 hrs
Fort: +8, Reflex +9, Will +14, CMB 8, CMD 24, Evasion
Perception +23, Sense Motive +14

Claw/Claw +8, d4+4+d6 shock (10' reach)
Bite +8, d6+4+d6 shock
Unarmed Strike +8, d6+6+d6 shock, on first strike of the round (usually kick, sometimes elbow)
Unarmed Strike +8, d6+4+d6 shock, on subsequent strikes in the round
Stunning Fist 3/day
MW Cold Iron Lucerne Hammer +9, d12+6 with 10' reach
Handbo +8, d6+4
Dagger +8, d4+4
Sling +7, d4+4 ......... Sling Bullets 9 Normal

.,,,..Summoner Cantrips: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Jolt, Guidance, Umbrella
.,,.,,...Summoner 1st Lvl: 3/4 remaining; Expeditious Retreat, Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon, Mage Armor, Shield
.,,.,,..Summoner 2nd Lvl: 1/2 remaining; Haste, See Invisibility
Summon Monster II:
5/5 remaining; std action SLA summon, (6 min), celestial eagles
......,,.......Consumables: 1 Alchemist's Fire, 3 Cure Light Wounds potion, 1 Enlarge potion
....,,.........Consumables: 15/22 days trail rations, 1 anti-toxin, 1 anti-plague
....,,.........Consumables: Scroll of Summon Eidolon and Scroll of Lesser Eidolon Surge loose in haversack
....,,.........Consumables: (44/50 charges) Wand of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon
.....,Anytime Free Action: Fused Link, move HP from real to temp to keep cattaur alive, used down to 2 real
........ ......Swift Actions: Enter Snake Stance or Dragon Stance
..If Snake Stance Active:
.,,,..,,,,,,,,,,.Free Action: A missed attack on me provokes an AoO with an Unarmed Strike
.......Immediate Actions: AC or Touch AC = d20+14 against one strike
.......Immediate Actions: if hit on unarmed AoO, spend immed to make second unarmed AoO attack
If Dragon Stance Active:

..Ignore Difficult Terrain: Ignore terrain on charge and charge through allies
....First Strike is harder: +2 damage to first unarmed strike
...........dragon resolve: +2 saves vs Sleep, Paralysis and stunning effects
...............Conditionals: +1 damage when flanking from dirty fighting trait
Effects: Snake Stance on,Dragon Stance on, Swift action available, AoO 2of3 available, AC 28, Mage Armor 4.5 hrs
In hand:
[/sblock]
[/section]

soulnova

Explorer
"HOLY SH-!" Galandra's hands move quickly after the shock blast hit's Menik and brings out her wand of healing. "Menik, if you can, step this side!" Galandra will switch places with him and try to order Mika to attack. Hopefully, he will be able to close the portal before the creature attacks again.

[sblock=Actions] I'm going to assume this creature looks animal enough for Mika to follows attack it. If she's able, Mika will charge him. (is this correct? im sleepy >_<)

Quick Draw - Wand
Free- Order Mika to attack Bite+8 (+2charge) 1d20+10=23, 1d8+3=5
Standard action - Wand of CLW 1d8+1=9
Move - Switch places with Menik... I don't think this breaks his concentration, right? Otherwise she simply steps also in front of him to offer cover.
[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
[sblock=OOC] The eidolon remains?

If that is true given that the eidolon rules say: "If the summoner is unconscious, asleep, or killed, his eidolon is immediately banished."

then something funny is going on:

1) An honest mistake by Jack who didn't realise the eidolon is banished when the summoner is taken out. Summoner dead so eidolon is actually banished and combat is over.

2) The summoner is trying to fool us: Eidolon stood over and perhaps he has cast an illusion spell to appear dead? Jack has withheld information he has secretly rolled and the summoner actually remains alive. We need to finish him off.

3) Something in this place, the same thing responsible for the 'seeing invisibility switch' is holding it here, and as such should end when the ritual is completed. We need to finish the ritual. The eidolon is going to kick our butts otherwise.

Also, what was the good thing that was going to happen when Menik gained another success using the ritual? [/sblock]
If the eidolon is not banished (as per summoner rules):

Maui, not relying on his sight, uses his other sense to sniff out whether the sneaky gnome summoner is in fact 'dead' or simply weaving some magical mischief. Maui may not be the sharpest tool in the shed when discussing algebraic patterns or the movement of celestial bodies through space and time, however it is not so easy to pull the wool over his eyes, especially if you look like a big nosed dirty rotten huffling dog caller ... his most hated and untrustworthy of foes!

If he believes the death he attacks the eidolon, urging Taniwha to do the same. Taniwha continues to bite and claw at the wolf creature trying to drag it to the ground but the protections surround the creature thwart his every attempt. Maui likewise tries to take the beast down but only manages to score it with a grazing blow.

If he detects the gnomes as still living he continues to attack it, urging Taniwha to ignore the eidolon and do the same.

Map Unchanged

[sblock=Actions]Doubt illusion: using scent to confirm death is genuine

Taniwha full attack vs Eidolon
Bite: 26=miss; Claw 27=Miss; Claw: 21=Miss

Maui full attack vs Eidolon
Bite 21=Miss; Claw 31=Hit for 13 dmg; claw 19=miss

Total dmg: 13 dmg

All of those attacks will hit the gnome (with Power Attack) if he remains alive, please roll miss chance if needed. A single hit should finish the gnome. [/sblock]

[sblock=Lvl 7 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +2
AC: 20 (Touch 13; FFt 18)
HP: 67 Current: 18
CMB: +10 CMD: 22 Fort: +6 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

Conditions: Dire Tiger form

In Hand:
Cold Iron MW Scimitar: +10; 1d6+6 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: CLW 0/2; 2/3 Summon Nature's Ally
2nd: Bull's Strength: used, Bark Skin: Used, Resist Energy 0/2
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Greater Magic Fang: Used, Resist Energy, Communal: Used
4th: Summon Nature Ally IV
Wild Shape: 0/3 uses left per day

[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 1d8+6; 2 Claws: +11; 1d4 +6 dmg
View attachment 57927
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 1d6+6; 2 Talons: +11; 1d8+6 dmg; Foreclaws: +5; 1d4+3
View attachment 57928
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape II]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 , touch 14 , flat-footed 14
Speed 40 ft.
Melee:Bite +12; 2d6+7 (+Grab); 2 Claws: +12 ; 2d4+7 dmg (+Grab)
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6753809_f520.jpg
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 10/16
Communal Wand of CLW 50/50
Wand of Magic Fang: 46/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 48/50
Wand of Mage Armor: 48/50
Potions: CLW 2/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 22
HP: 50 Current: 50
CMB: Trip/Disarm +10 (+11) CMD: 25 (29 vs Trip) Fort: +7 Reflex: +11 Will: +3

Conditions: Greater Magic Fang (6hrs);

Bite: +10 (+11) ; 1d6+4 (+5) dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +10 (+11); 1d3+4 (+5) dmg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]There is a feat, Resilient Eidolon in the UM book, that will keep the eidolon around for rounds after the summoner is knocked unconscious or killed. So, it is quite possible.[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
[sblock=ooc]There is a feat, Resilient Eidolon in the UM book, that will keep the eidolon around for rounds after the summoner is knocked unconscious or killed. So, it is quite possible.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Oh, I see. I love summoners! Not.

Given the guy had 90+ HPs then we are talking more than enough rounds to kill us all. Tactically we should all just try and run away, block it from following us, or immobilise it and wait for it to leave. Its AC is so high that hitting it is at 25% for Maui on a normal attack or a power attack with flanking bonus. Taniwha only has a 15% hit chance if he isn´t flanking.

Edit: Tasanto needs a natural 20 to hit without flanking. I could manouevre Taniwha to flank with Tasanto. Maui speaks cat and he does have the flanking trick. Then he could hit on 18 to 20 at least. [MENTION=95784]jackslate45[/MENTION] Is that something you would buy that Maui can get Taniwha to do?

Sorry for all the rules questions: Does life link come into play given that the summoner was disintegrated ... and so is technically as far away as you can get given his soul is now in another plane of existence ... 75% HP reduction comes into effect? Clutching at straws here...? :p Sorry, just a bit nervous that Maui is about to get massacred. [/sblock]

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Ya, I knew you guys would go straight for the gnome, so I gave the eidolon the Resilient Eidolon feat just to spice combat up a little bit. This was my first attempt at a summoner period, so I was a little (read as VERY) unfamiliar with some of the technical details of the class. Which apparently is ALOT.
[MENTION=92814]soulnova[/MENTION]: Yes, Mika was able to charge it. Given that it shot lightning out at it's ward, and it's natual appearance looks similar to Tasanto, Mika is going to defend Menik on instinct. And no, since Menik hasn't acted yet it will not break his concentration like casting a full round spell would. Athough I liked the idea of Menik giving one final push before falling unconscious :(
[MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION]: I'm OK with the flanking idea. Nice try on the HP reduction though. Besides, its 8 vs 1 right now. You all have a very good advantage.

The next good thing was that 2 people were going to get See Invisibility for the round, followed by 3 on 5/6 successes. Mechanically, the gate is acting like a repeater, so it is re-casting spells that it has seen cast (right now, only See Invisibility and Cure Light Wounds). You have one more bonus boon coming that will end the fight quickly, so even if you fall unconscious you shouldn't die. I still have to get Tasanto down to even have a shot at killing everyone (which, I need a 19-20 to hit him) since he can just carry everyone out.

I'll try and get the map updated tomorrow, but it doesn't have any more lightning breaths so you shouldn't need it once everyone gets into flanking.

Menik to finish the round.

[/sblock]

Remove ads