LPJ - Haven: City of Bronze

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Let's drop the attitudes, please. Post about the product or don't post at all. No more sniping.

lmpjr007

Explorer
Morrus said:
Let's drop the attitudes, please. Post about the product or don't post at all. No more sniping.

I think it is funny that the topic of this thread was for me, but some one answered the question that was posed to me. :)

OK back to topic ... to best describe Haven: City of Bronze here is what I am working on for the introduct. Remember this is not final, rough draft and not edited, but you can get where I am going:

THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE EMPIRE CITY OR THE NEO-PULP ERA OF HAVEN
Pulp era is an era in American literature where magazines were printed on pulpwood scraps with stories of action and adventure. The best definition of the pulp era that I ever heard was, “The story is worth more than the paper it is printed on” quoted by Frank Munsey. Frank Munsey turned those words into action when he revamped "Argosy" in the 1890s and transformed American magazine publishing for the next 50 years. The pulps became even more popular over the following decades.

OK that was the factual basis and history of pulps. Now, I know you all are asking yourselves, “Why in the hell is Louis Porter Jr. Design doing a Pulp Era RPG?” Well, we are, but not really. We are creating a Neo-Pulp RPG. Now I know what you are thinking, “What is damn the difference?” well, let me show you.

Any good writer will tell you that you should write about what you know. Now the only thing that I know about in life is females, sex, comic books, graphic arts, sex, Action-Adventure movies, violence, sex, martial arts, sex and racism. Now seeing this you can understand why I created Haven: City of Violence. Now since I that is all I know and I wanted to make a Pulp Era RPG, I have to do it a little different than most on the market and ask a couple of questions I would never ask and do a few things I would never normally do.

Well first off, I had to start with an idea, a concept of what is going to be done and then mix it up really well with an extra large size wooden spoon. Well since the Pulp Era writing focuses on powerful white Anglo-Saxon god-fearing males doing all kinds of incredible things and the women, foreigners and minorities were little more than one-dimensional villains, living hostages, or silly cartoon-like sidekicks. I had to tackle this first. Since this RPG would be based on the City of Haven during the early part of the twenty-century, I knew there would be a very diverse racial step up. The reason for this, well basically, I am an African-American male and I want to see people like me being heroes, not some silly racist sidekick saying, “Yessur Boss Man, Imma gonna do that”. Not in this game. In our game setting and world, Tarzan would be a black African man, Indiana Jones would be a woman and everyone is equal in gaming terms. But, the game world they live in would still be stuck in the past. Now what is this role-playing game all about? You start by making interesting characters and then go adventuring with them to make them even more interesting!

Second thing [CENSORED] (Can't show you that stuff yet).

The third thing that had to be handled was super science and its effect on the world and environment of Haven. If these people were so smart back then why don’t we have some of these inventions now? A good question and here is how we handled it. Well I have to focus on what is possible and what is too far fetched to be real. Lasers are possible; we have lasers now so that is easily possible. But hand-held laser pistols are a big no-no. That is the basics behind how it works for us.

Fourth, The Pulp Era had people traveling to far off exotic lands to meet interesting and unique places and locations. Well since this game is based off the city of Haven, well this concept had to be rethought. Well, if you can’t take Moses to the mountain, then bring the mountain to Moses. We would bring all these exotic land to Haven to spice up the environment. There are so many things that we wanted to add initially but I decided it would be best to only deal with the most interesting items and subjects for Haven: City of Bronze.

Fifth, [CENSORED] (Can't show you that stuff yet).

But like I said this gives you an idea of what is going on.

jezter6

Explorer
Interesting.

I listened to the podcast today just because it was mentioned, and it seems promising. I was worried about the neo-pulp thing, but if it's just removing racist tendencies from the genre, I'm fine with that. Of course, some stereotypes are almost needed...orientals are good at martial arts, as that stuff hasn't hit the western world yet, but other than that, I see no reason not to have heroic minorities and women.

So you say you're bringing the mountain to moses as it were, is that stuff all part of the main book or part of the adventures you have planned? It's going to be hard to fit an island of super intelligent monkeys into a big city setting, but if you can do it...all the more power to ya. :) I'll have to wait and see how it's pulled off. If it's anything like the modern Haven, it's bound to be an interesting and wild ride.

Any chance Chuck Rice is helping on any of this? I was happy to see his input in Haven :CoV, so I'd like to see more of it in this line as well.

Vigilance

Explorer
Could someone tell me why I can't download the podcast? I've tried a direct download as well as using Itunes and it always freezes at 2%.

Chuck

lmpjr007

Explorer
Vigilance said:
Could someone tell me why I can't download the podcast? I've tried a direct download as well as using Itunes and it always freezes at 2%.

Chuck

My podcasting skill are not really the best so there are times I have done it incorrectly. You might wan tto try saving directly from the website. See if that works.

lmpjr007

Explorer
jezter6 said:
So you say you're bringing the mountain to moses as it were, is that stuff all part of the main book or part of the adventures you have planned? It's going to be hard to fit an island of super intelligent monkeys into a big city setting, but if you can do it...all the more power to ya. :) I'll have to wait and see how it's pulled off. If it's anything like the modern Haven, it's bound to be an interesting and wild ride.

Well we do have group called the Empire of Blood who does have The Crimson Apes Of Zubali. Come on, Crimson talking Apes climbing buildings in a NYC type city in the 1920's. Tell me how you can't love that.

Any chance Chuck Rice is helping on any of this? I was happy to see his input in Haven :CoV, so I'd like to see more of it in this line as well.

I had not planned on it. But if his schedule was open and if he was interested, I would love for him to work on it.

Vigilance

Explorer
lmpjr007 said:
My podcasting skill are not really the best so there are times I have done it incorrectly. You might wan tto try saving directly from the website. See if that works.

That is what Im doing.

It does seem to be downloading now just slowly, color me spoiled by DSL I guess lol.

Roudi

First Post
Chuck, I ran into the same problem. If you just let the download go for a long period of time, you'll get it eventually.

Louis, you REALLY need to talk with your webmaster. Something is choking bandwidth from your site something fierce.

Oh, and Louis... hurry up and get a new podcast out! I'ma getting antsy. :)

lmpjr007

Explorer
Roudi said:
Louis, you REALLY need to talk with your webmaster. Something is choking bandwidth from your site something fierce.

I know. Sorry everybody.

Oh, and Louis... hurry up and get a new podcast out! I'ma getting antsy. :)

I have been VERY busy of late but I am hoping to get some podcast out before the end of the year.

jezter6

Explorer
lmpjr007 said:
Well we do have group called the Empire of Blood who does have The Crimson Apes Of Zubali. Come on, Crimson talking Apes climbing buildings in a NYC type city in the 1920's. Tell me how you can't love that.
*rubs hands together* Exxxxxxxcellent....

lmpjr007 said:
I had not planned on it. But if his schedule was open and if he was interested, I would love for him to work on it.

I sure hope he does. I enjoyed his additions to Haven: CoV and would love to see his input on City of Bronze.

I'm also a big BIG fan of his Blood and Vigilance book, which I've been planning on using for a pulp supers game...which now has a great pulp city to be in.

If you put out any supers addons for it, I'd definately be in. If you need someone to add material so you CAN put it out, I'd be in too. MMmm....*salivates* my dream come true...workign with Chuck on a pulp supers book. :p

Remove ads