M.A.R. Barker, author of Tekumel, also author of Neo-Nazi book?

Ah. I see my mistake. I misused the term feudal. My bad.

How about this instead?

DnD often lampshades the fact that your character lives in a totalitarian regime with horrific laws and no personal rights. Because of this, we treat the setting like it’s modern day USA and never actually bring up this fact.
"Totalitarian regime with horrific laws and no personal rights" is not an accurate description of the polities that have existed historically (most medieval societies were pretty clear on certain rights, and the nature of medieval societies made it virtually impossible for anyone to be totalitarian) nor D&D's nations. Personal rights are not something invented by John Q. American in 1776. You seem to be fixated on certain misunderstandings very redolent of "whig history".

MGibster

Legend
Ah. I see my mistake. I misused the term feudal. My bad.
I don't think you did. I've certainly heard people describe ancient China as having a feudal system.

DnD often lampshades the fact that your character lives in a totalitarian regime with horrific laws and no personal rights. Because of this, we treat the setting like it’s modern day USA and never actually bring up this fact.
A totalitarian government is characterized by its attempts to control all aspects of its citizens lives and features a very strong central government. Not all "feudalistic" societies had a strong central government and most of them didn't try to control all aspects of their subjects' lives. I do think you have a valid point. While I wouldn't describe most kingdoms as totalitarian regimes, D&D does treat many of their settings like modern day USA. But I suspect that's one of the things that makes D&D so popular.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While I wouldn't describe most kingdoms as totalitarian regimes, D&D does treat many of their settings like modern day USA. But I suspect that's one of the things that makes D&D so popular.

Moreover, how many GMs actually have the deep understanding of history and geopolitics to reasonably model other systems? Most of us have what, high-school social studies level of understanding?

And, beyond that - D&D is still basically an action-adventure game, not a socio-politics game. There's not much call to specify a ton of socio-politics that the characters aren't going to interact with. So government, much like economy, by and large is simplified with a sketch, and left mostly in the background in a way that allows the heroes to gallivant around facing off with monsters.

That last is terribly important. Game government that gets in the way of the players having fun in adventures is pretty much a non-starter. Which probably means realistic governance is pretty much a non-starter.

Last edited:

Riley

Legend
Returning to the original subject, here's a pretty sensible blog post from Jeff Grub.
That’s a good post. Jeff Grubb (and Jeff Dee) have some good thoughts there:

So, what to do?

Nine years ago in this space, in the midst of another tempest involving another author, I wrote about Lovecraft, who was definitely problematic. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that while we cannot fully separate creation from creator, we can TAKE the creation away from the creator. We recognize Lovecraft's racism, and will not excuse or bury it. But moving forward, we take the good parts and evolve them fully, and leave the worst behind. In RPGs, in the modern interactive tradition, that can be done more easily than in other media. RPGs are ultimately a group activity, and the bad actors can be overwhelmed by the common good.

I wrote that in 2013. How has it worked out in Lovecraft's case? Well. in 2017 the award winning RPG product Harlem Unbound showed up, which deals with marginalized populations in Lovecraft's universe. Originally from Darker Hue studios, the book has been expanded upon and republished with Chaosium, publisher of Call of Cthulhu putting an official mark on it. The novel Lovecraft Country deals with this in fiction, and has not only been a best-seller but turned into a TV series in 2020. And Alan Moore produced a decidedly creepy comic called Providence dealing with sexual issues within the straight-laced original stories. None of this would have met the approval of the original dead racist.

So yeah, take the ball and run with it. Jeff Dee, who wrote an excellent set of recent rules set in Tekumel, Bethorm, has posted the suggestion to OCCUPY TEKUMEL[.] Challenge or remove the violent, authoritarian, and unchanging nature of the empires. Give it a cleansing scrub. I think this would work. I get the feeling that, much like our own histories, the illusion of a continuous civilization is misleading, as looking at it hard reveals civil wars, uprisings, revolutions both quiet and violent. Yan Kor not only wins its war but inspires other breakaway chunks of Tsolyanu to find their own paths. Let the PCs lead a revolution for a city state within one of the Empires, and forge their own destinies.

The interesting thing is, Tekumel has a couple things already hard-wired into it that encourages this approach. There is the custom of ditlana, a renewal process where cities are literally razed, buried, and new structures place atop them…

There is, however, the challenge that while much of Lovecraft has entered the public domain, Tekumel has not.

Last edited:

Remove ads