[M&M2e] New Generation Legacy OOC

Does anyone else here get ridiculously nostalgic about this game (and it's last incarnation?). This has definitely been one of the best PBP games, heck, best games I've ever played, period. I really wish there was a good novel with similar characters/mood/setting. A comic book wouldn't suffice (well, maybe a large anthology of them) because of how in-depth all the stories were.

Le sigh ;) Where is everyone these days, and how are all of you? :)

Samnell

Explorer
Does anyone else here get ridiculously nostalgic about this game (and it's last incarnation?).

For certain values of ridiculous.

This has definitely been one of the best PBP games, heck, best games I've ever played, period.

And that's the reason why. :)

I really wish there was a good novel with similar characters/mood/setting. A comic book wouldn't suffice (well, maybe a large anthology of them) because of how in-depth all the stories were.

We did a fair amount of playing house, stuff which helped with characterization but didn't really drive a lot of plot forward. That's usually the first thing editors in the genre would cut.

We did a fair amount of playing house, stuff which helped with characterization but didn't really drive a lot of plot forward. That's usually the first thing editors in the genre would cut.

Samnell-ever the wise guy ;). Yeah, it probably would be the first thing to cut, but I think that's what made the game that much more seemingly realistic to me.

Anyways, you missed the last question! I know I've seen you around the paizo boards, so have you been doing a lot of Pathfinder'ing lately? I entered the RPG Superstar contest for the first time this year, so I'm crossing my fingers for Tuesday :S

Last edited:

Samnell

Explorer
Samnell-ever the wise guy ;). Yeah, it probably would be the first thing to cut, but I think that's what made the game that much more seemingly realistic to me.

Not wise, just cynical. :) It's what kept the game interesting to me too.

Anyways, you missed the last question! I know I've seen you around the paizo boards, so have you been doing a lot of Pathfinder'ing lately? I entered the RPG Superstar contest for the first time this year, so I'm crossing my fingers for Tuesday :S

Good luck with it. I thought about entering myself, but doubt my ability to turn in something sufficiently original and at sufficient length by the deadlines.

So far as Pathfinder goes, I converted two of my three PBEMs over and started a fourth. Running Second Darkness and Legacy of Fire, though LoF's future is in a bit of doubt. I waited far too long in realizing that nobody was having fun with the pugwampi unluck aura making them reroll everything. In PBEM time, that was about six months.

Yeah, I don't think my entree was that amazing on the creative side. I find I'm more of a guy who works well with mechanics, but not necessarily inventing anything new. Conversions I find more up my alley, but then again you start with something that someone else has created. Still, you should try it sometime. I mean, the worst that can happen is that they say no, right? :)

Those Pugwumpi's are mean little buggers-and I hear you about how long it takes to run a silly combat. I hope your group recovers over there, as once LoF gets started, it appears to get pretty fun. Second Darkness seems interesting as well, though from what I've heard on the boards you may have to make some adjustments to fit certain groups as far as motivation goes.

I'm currently in a campaign IRL as a player for the second time-well, second time in something other than a one-shot (I usually DM irl). I dunno if I could stand a D&D PBP game for exactly the reason you mentioned, a single area of encounters could easily take 6 months of time. But I'm itching for some more gaming at the moment so I might see what's around these or paizo's boards. Haven't actually used the Pathfinder rules yet, since so far I'm the only one who's stoked by them among my gaming friends.

Samnell

Explorer
Yeah, I don't think my entree was that amazing on the creative side. I find I'm more of a guy who works well with mechanics, but not necessarily inventing anything new. Conversions I find more up my alley, but then again you start with something that someone else has created. Still, you should try it sometime. I mean, the worst that can happen is that they say no, right? :)

They could come to your house and beat you up. Jacobs and Bulmahn are big guys, wouldn't want to cross them. :)

Those Pugwumpi's are mean little buggers-and I hear you about how long it takes to run a silly combat. I hope your group recovers over there, as once LoF gets started, it appears to get pretty fun.

Yeah. It's an issue of needing two DC 10 climb checks to get up a ladder to hurt them, since there's next to no ranged ability in the party. No one specced to climb either. So a DC 10 goes from 50/50 to 25/75 against 'em (have to make two rolls better than 10 in a row). They spent about ten rounds in a huge traffic jam. Then on getting up they still have to deal with the little bastards' decent AC. This probably would have went fast enough to be tolerable in person, but for the PBEM I finally just stripped the ability out. Now we're almost done with the fight.

Second Darkness seems interesting as well, though from what I've heard on the boards you may have to make some adjustments to fit certain groups as far as motivation goes.

I'm just starting Children of the Void. I'm a bit worried about how much initiative the PCs are expected to take (It's way too easy in an online game to just sit tight. I've done it myself often enough.) but so far they're good. It probably helps that two of the players are Paizo nuts. For CoV, I plan on more or less telling them that they can see landmarks X, Y, and Z and they get to pick a path. The adventure's built to handle that well enough. Not sure what I'm going to do about the one where they infiltrate the Drow city yet.

I'm currently in a campaign IRL as a player for the second time-well, second time in something other than a one-shot (I usually DM irl). I dunno if I could stand a D&D PBP game for exactly the reason you mentioned, a single area of encounters could easily take 6 months of time.

It takes a fair bit of dedication. I've been pretty lucky to be able to keep on top of things most of the time. When things are going well, I can have an action a day resolved. I don't game IRL (My one try was a truly horrible experience. Even with a local game shop just opened I'm not tempted to try again.) but certainly the internet can't compete with that pace. Even with a chat-based game, speaking is still faster than typing.

Haven't actually used the Pathfinder rules yet, since so far I'm the only one who's stoked by them among my gaming friends.

So far they're doing just what they were designed to do in my games. Things run easier, PCs have more choices, they're less fragile at low levels, etc. Plus the whole thing is available free online so I didn't have to ask any of my players to buy the book.

Remove ads