D&D General M. T. Black made his own 5e clone. Iskandar Players Handbook.

Yaarel

He Mage
It's not a bad idea... imagine having a core system. And you can go on a website and either through a questionnaire or a wizard check certain options to include modules depending on the type of experience you want, and you get a PDF with the mechanics and systems you chose at the end.

It's no different then what we kind of already do by ignoring certain rules, tweaking others and borrowing some; but imagine just being able to have a clean PDF for different campaigns/tables/settings.

I've played Burning Wheel recently. It's a lot. But one great thing is that it tells you outright to read the core rules, play with just these and then just incorporate systems and rules as you need them thematically. It made the first contact way smoother.

Within this decade, you would do this and an AI would write up you preferred version of the game for you on the fly.

Yaarel

He Mage
I've played Burning Wheel recently. It's a lot. But one great thing is that it tells you outright to read the core rules, play with just these and then just incorporate systems and rules as you need them thematically. It made the first contact way smoother.
Cortext Prime is a bit like this. The gaming engine itself is modifiable.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm glad to read what two of you think. Interesting, as I usually adore their work.

If I did something like this, it would be super streamlined, with modules for more complexity.

Monster statblocks would be OLD SKEWL (maybe a BIT more, but not much)

+2 to hit, 8 damage, AC 12, +1 Wis Saves, speed 30

Everything else is largely ignored in game.

Yaarel

He Mage
I don’t think the result would be useable.
Each monster would stand on its own and reference which modular system it is for. In a wiki, there can be numerous versions of a similar concept, plus different pages to organize and link the relevant pages.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Each monster would stand on its own and reference which modular system it is for. In a wiki, there can be numerous versions of a similar concept, plus different pages to organize and link the relevant pages.
Well, it’s easy to set a wiki up. Go for it! :)

Remove ads