D&D General M. T. Black made his own 5e clone. Iskandar Players Handbook.

Dave2008 asked about hints, tips, etc. This double-page is a good example of what I mean. The regular text is straight 5E, but the boxed text is stuff I've added. Hints ("Remember..."), a tip ("Perception vs. Investigation") and an Optional Rule. I can't say how many of these I put in, but somewhere between 50 and 100??

hints tips.PNG

dave2008

Legend
Hi folks,

I appreciate you taking the time to chat about my new book! I think there are going to be a lot of 5E clones released this year after the OGL situation, and I know they will be a bit contentious. I think this will be similar to the OSR where a lot of retroclones were released and people picked their own flavor, but everything was roughly compatible.

As others have pointed out, a big chunk of this book is a reprint of SRD content. I have reworded more than a few items (such as surprise and alignment) and I've also rewritten a few rules, such as the overland travel. Otherwise, where I've got optional rules I've included them as sidebar comments. It's a bit of a challenge for those of us publishing 5E clones - Black Flag is facing the same issue where some folk are saying "But this is just 5E." Truthfully, the low price point is meant to help head off this discussion, even though I put a crazy amount of labour into this book.

For some, where the value comes in is with the subclasses, ancestries, new/remastered spells, and setting lore, which might be 80-100 pages of the total. Most of that should be reusable in any setting, but I've very much presented it as an integrated package for my Iskandar setting. There are folks charging $4 for a single subclass, so I hope $4 for all that content represents some value :)

Regarding the single column digest-sized layout, I've adopted that for all my books the last couple of years. As dnd_reborn noted, it's so you can use the material on mobile devices. If reading on a regular screen, I recommend you go 2UP.

cheers,
MTB
I do think it is an incredible value. If you don't have the PHB, probably makes a lot of sense to pick this up instead.

dave2008

Legend
Dave2008 asked about hints, tips, etc. This double-page is a good example of what I mean. The regular text is straight 5E, but the boxed text is stuff I've added. Hints ("Remember..."), a tip ("Perception vs. Investigation") and an Optional Rule. I can't say how many of these I put in, but somewhere between 50 and 100??

View attachment 276569
I will take a closer look at those sidebars when I read through it again this weekend - thanks! And I like the optional rule in this example!

EDIT: I took another look, here are my thorough thoughts: Iskandar PHB 2nd Look.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I really like the digest hard and soft back of M.T. Blacks The Anatomy of Adventure but I wonder what that would look like with 500 pages!

Though I think breaking it between two books between chapters 6 and 7 would work.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
OK @M.T. Black , I went through the book in more detail this morning and I need to adjust my thoughts a bit. I will go back an update my previous comments, but here is my update:
  1. I said previously I didn't really care about the classes, which is true. However, I will note that I do like that the spell list for each class is with the class. I also caught a couple fun hints and optional rules in there that I would have normally missed.
  2. Tips: On the second look there a definitely quite a few tips. For the most they are a good advice, particularly for a new player/DM. They definitely clarify a lot of things people have found confusing. The actually clarified some rules for me that I thought I knew and apparently didn't!
  3. Optional Rules: On a second look there are definitely optional rules. They are just easy to miss on quick glance as they are so understated (like the tips). However, they are there and they tend to be interesting and useful, if very simple (which is generally a good thing). Some Optional Rule (OR) highlights for me (many other good ones that I have seen before, but these were new to me):
    1. Tool & skill proficiency stacking OR
    2. Disengage OR
    3. Climbing Kit OR
  4. I didn't really comb through the spells to see what is new and updated. I do wish the spell descriptions included which classes had access to the spell.
  5. I did not read the History of Iskandar section.
OK, in general I was wrong. There are many tips and some optional rules. I purchased with the desire to see optional rules, but what I enjoyed more where the tips and hints (titled Tips and Remember...). I would have liked more optional rules, but I realize now this is billed as PHB, not a DMG. So the optional rules that are present make sense in that context. I would like more optional rules, but that is probably out of context for what this book is.

So, what is this book? IMO, this is a really good replacement for the PHB. You don't get art, but the organization is superior (IMO) and the tips and hints are really helpful. The optional rules are less inspiring, partially because many I have seen before, but there are a couple that perked my interest. Overall, it is a good book for what it is trying to do. My mistake initially was not understanding what it was trying to do and purchasing it on a false premise (one of my own creation I will add).

Anyway, nice work Mr Black!

Last edited:

Remove ads