Mad at Paizo?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wayne's style is so distinct, I'm not if you can really say it's "old fashioned". His style isn't really typical of a particular era in fantasy art; it's kind of just its own thing. I don't think any other artists really produced or produce art in a similar style.

Having said that, his art was so ubiquitous in fantasy gaming products from 2000-2010 (Magic cards, World of Warcraft TCG, D&D (particularly Eberron), Pathfinder, etc.) that I can see why you'd have strong associations between his art and a particular era of fantasy gaming. He used to be very much in vogue, but is perhaps less so these days.

Yeah, very Aughts.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In this particular case, though, the artist has clearly been asked to render a recognizable version of the same image.

I would bet it's Paizo's decision, not Wayne's.

(Not that this helps the argument)

It's the Pathfinder aesthetic, which is their prerogative. If anything, I prefer the new art, but the whole get-up is still kind of odd to me. It also seems like they could have taken the opportunity of a new edition to evolve their style more than they did?

Arilyn

Hero
If that were their goal, my first advice would be "switch artists"

I like Wayne Reynolds' art. It's dynamic and full of interesting detail. Look at all the bits and pieces Harsk carries around, for example. Reynolds and PF are linked, giving PF its own feel. His comic book style art is an excellent choice for the pulpy feel of Golarion. PF without Wayne Reynolds wouldn't feel right.

dave2008

Legend
I like Wayne Reynolds' art. It's dynamic and full of interesting detail. Look at all the bits and pieces Harsk carries around, for example. Reynolds and PF are linked, giving PF its own feel. His comic book style art is an excellent choice for the pulpy feel of Golarion. PF without Wayne Reynolds wouldn't feel right.
I think PF is robust enough it can survice without WR. Heck, it looks to me like he is only providing covers in PF2e, the bulk of the art is by other artists anyway.

PS. I do like the detail in WRs work, but I am a bit tired of the odd poses, sharp angles, and oversized weapons/equipment

CapnZapp

Legend
I didn't say "We hates Wayne"*

I was commenting on a hypothetical.

Remove ads