Mad at Paizo?

S'mon

Legend
It’s not just nerfdom. People get very attached to their football teams and get pretty passionate about every aspect of them. Luckily in nerfdom, thugs supporting Critically Role don’t go around getting drunk and beating up Matt Coleville supporters at conventions.

Well the Matts are pals I'm sure, but we have seen some nerd-on-nerd violence recently as part of the Culture Wars.

It’s not just nerfdom. People get very attached to their football teams and get pretty passionate about every aspect of them. Luckily in nerfdom, thugs supporting Critically Role don’t go around getting drunk and beating up Matt Coleville supporters at conventions.

Let’s be honest, this unhealthy attachment is used and relied upon by those subjects to make money. In advertising, in merchandising, in subscriptions. Money money money.

Critical Role is no different. It taps into a part of human nature. The fact that it’s streamed live, the ability to commentate on twitch, the YouTube comments, forum posts etc all designed to make us feel connected to our subject.

As with all things there are pro’s and cons.

Wow, are you actually comparing football (soccer) hooligans to fans of Critical Role? Because that's just wrong. This analogy is crass and, frankly, very offensive.

I think what some people are taking issue with is your saying certain ways of roleplaying is wrong. And contrived.

I never said any kind of roleplaying is wrong. I said I found Critical Role comes across as contrived to me. All sorts of things strike me as contrived. Heck, every single podcast of live stream is contrived to the extent that everyone acts differently when there's a mic or camera in front of them. Some are just more contrived than others.

And I didn't come in here 'ranting' about CR. I don't give a naughty word about CR. But it came up in a thread and I expressed an off-hand critical comment about, no different from how I might make an offhand about The Big Bang Theory, Destiny 2, or any of the other hundreds of entertainment properties that aren't my jam. But I should have known better to make even that passing comment about that particular property in this particular place.

I never said any kind of roleplaying is wrong. I said I found Critical Role comes across as contrived to me. All sorts of things strike me as contrived. Heck, every single podcast of live stream is contrived to the extent that everyone acts differently when there's a mic or camera in front of them. Some are just more contrived than others.

Did you not say the CR cast are actors theatrically playing D&D? So in your eyes their style of roleplaying is wrong. And similarly then people theatrically playing RPGs is the wrong way to go about roleplaying. Because that comes as across as contrived and is not real roleplaying.
I am sure all of the results from dice rolling is contrived. And all of the reactions to the dice results are contrived.

And I didn't come in here 'ranting' about CR.
Just ignore it dude.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases