• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magazine readers to name newly discovered planet

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kaodi said:
The *exceptions* would be any object that is not large enough to initiate fusion, but large enough to emit light, making them dwarf stars...

You probably need to be more specific. Every single body in the solar system emits light, especially in the infrared. Many (including, I believe, all the gas giants) emit more energy than they recieve from the Sun.

Umbran said:
You probably need to be more specific. Every single body in the solar system emits light, especially in the infrared. Many (including, I believe, all the gas giants) emit more energy than they recieve from the Sun.
Not to mention the fact that you risk having the exact same problem at the opposite end of the spectrum with a number of quasistellar objects like brown dwarfs and whatnot. When does a large gas giant planet become a brown dwarf, etc.? In fact, although I wasn't aware of this, the IAU has recently released guidelines to this effect for extrasolar planets, but they are problematic. "Planets" that drift in interstellar space (of which some claims of observation have been made, but I don't know if they're confirmed or not) can't actually be planets, for instance, and have to be "sub-brown dwarfs."
tarchon said:
I believe there are now about 7 or 8 total largish ones, Quaoar, Sedna, Orcus, Charon, the three new ones (all of them are pretty hefty), and it looks like there's one other larger than Ceres that hasn't been named.
How in the hell did I miss out on a planetoid officially being named Orcus!? Damn, that's cool! Sounds like I need to start camping on all communications from the IAU's Committee on Small Body Nomenclature again; I'm behind on my Kuiper Belt discoveries! :(

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Got to go with Yugolo... err... Yuggoth.

*tosses Lovecraft and a bunch of fiends into a box and has them fight over who has the cooler name idea for the new planet*

Zander

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I'm behind on my Kuiper Belt discoveries!
Shocking! Absolutely shocking!! Fancy not knowing your Kuiper Belt objects. That's a really serious offence. It's 20 years' hard labour for you. ;)

Zander said:
Shocking! Absolutely shocking!! Fancy not knowing your Kuiper Belt objects. That's a really serious offence. It's 20 years' hard labour for you. ;)
I most humble apologize for this grevious dereliction of my duties. I have toh. I ask for the favor that you help me meet my toh.

Remove ads