• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium

Nightfall said:
Olaf,

Who knows? I just know I pre-ordered mine today from Amazon. They are saying the 14th but that might change.

Cal,

Thanks. Okay so what stands out to you as the most powerful sword in the book? Or at least a sword that screams "I must be a plot hook!" That kind of thing.

Did you get the e-mail I sent you regarding the AoW poster map Nightfall?

Olaf the Stout

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I ordered mine from Walmart.com last week. It came in 10 days later, and that's with a "delay for lack of stock".

I'll try to provide more details later this evening.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I had thought I was done buying new books for a while, but this seems like a really good purchase to me.

I'm all over the MIC. I still love looking at my Encyclopedia Magics from 2E so buying this is a no-brainer for me.

Olaf the Stout

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Olaf,

Yeah I got your last email. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'll send you a reply when I get my hands on it some time Saturday.

Cal,

Here's hoping Amazon does better.

yipwyg42

First Post
Magic item compendium

I also got this book from amazon today.

Among the weapon abilities they have synergy abilities. Take for example the following;

Say you have a +1 ghost touch weapon
You can then add ghost strike to the weapon for an additional +1 equivalent cost.

Ghost strike lets you crit and sneak attack undead.

So you would have a +1 ghost touch ghost striking weapon equal to the cost of a +3 weapon.

They also have an appendix listing the items with costs listed, as well as a new random treasure table that has the MIC items and the DMG items on it.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Hey everyone,

I know I said I'd post more on the MIC tonight, but I just got in and it's pretty late here. I had some really important business of a very personal nature to attend, so hopefully the thread Merric offered can answer some more of your questions. But IMO, this may have been one of the best D&D books I've bought in the last 6 months, maybe even the last year.

I have it also, so I will answer a few quick questions. About psionics, there really aren't any NEW items. Mostly what they did was collect a number of the items from the XPH and list them, BUT they also listed the ARCANE/DIVINE spells and feats needed to make them as normal magic items. Thus, such fun items as boots of skating and psychoskins can now be made by regular magic-users, mot just psionicist. Those that prefer to keep such items unique to psionics won't like this, others of us will find it useful (especially for my homebrew, where psionics is almost exclusively the purview of insectoids...and the technomagic using federation would have developed arcane items that would have mimicked the psionic ones...now I have the convertion stats I need).

Synergy qualities is also cool. A Flaming burst quality is now only a +1, BUT it is a synergy quality and requires FLAMING as a prereq. This way the burst feature is it's own rules, seperate from the flaming feature, which is really how it should be.

Lastly, I was one of those who HATED the "new" magic item format (pre MIC), but really do love this new format. True, it takes up a bit more space than the DMG format, but no more than the new Spell Compendium did when compared to the PHB format. No more having my eyes glaze over as I read boring pap fluff trying to find out how an item is activated and how many times it can be used per day. Now all that is spelled out in easy to find and read format. Worse problem I see is that the organization leaves a bit to be desired. It is alphabetized, but if you don't know something is called "wind bracers" and instead think it is call "bracers of wind", you will spend forever looking for it under "b" rather than "w".

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

skippy
GM of The Cursed Earth Campaign

I am a gadgeteer at heart, and always played that sort in most kinds of games. Thus, while I am the GM in my current homebrew, and haven't had the chance to play in many years, my favorite regular party NPC is an artificer. This said, number one favorite thing is augment crystals. They are too cool.

Second, as already mentioned, the arcane version of traditionally psionic items.

Third, the new format. Still a bit padded (ummm ok so desription of flaming feature is a weapon on fire...DUH), but not anything that really eats up the page count, and the listing is REALLY simple and self explanatory.

Fourth is the gathering of the various weapon and armor abilities not found in the DMG in one place. Combine this with Bastion's Arms & Armor, and you are really good to go.

Fifth is the synergy abilities. I have always thought that the burst capability should be it's own listing, seperate from the energy it is based on. Now it is. Plus, they add a few new synergy abilities to some of the old standard, like the already mentioned ghost touch. All of this is especially useful in my homebrew, as I have technomagical devices that basically use a combination of perpetrated press's Arsenal and Factory, combined with Iron Kingdoms mechanika item creation rules.

It if says anything, I even paid FULL price for this book, which I almost never do, to get it last friday rather than wait a week or two and order it online. That said, I still feel like I got my monies worth.

skippy
The GM of The Cursed Earth Campaign

Remove ads