• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium

Obergnom

First Post
Some more...

Armband of Elusive Action (800gp)
Lets you, once per day as an immediate action avoid provoking an AOO you would have otherwise provoked.

Acrobats Boots (900gp)
+2 Competence to Tumble
3 Charges, Swift Activate, +10 foot movement for 1 round with one charge. (2 charges 15ft, 3 - 20ft)

Brute Gauntlets (500gp)
swift activate, morale bonus to str checks, strenght skill checks and melee weapon damage. 3 charges per day. 1 charge +2 bonus, 2 charges +3 bonus, 3 charges +4 bonus.

I think these are good items for the lower levels (There are more of these). Selling them gives you just enough gold to get a potion, and they work every day.

Has anybody mentioned the Items by Slot by Price Tables in the back of the book? Those are great for equiping a character...

Stalker0

Legend
Obergnom said:
Some more...

Armband of Elusive Action (800gp)
Lets you, once per day as an immediate action avoid provoking an AOO you would have otherwise provoked.

Acrobats Boots (900gp)
+2 Competence to Tumble
3 Charges, Swift Activate, +10 foot movement for 1 round with one charge. (2 charges 15ft, 3 - 20ft)

Brute Gauntlets (500gp)
swift activate, morale bonus to str checks, strenght skill checks and melee weapon damage. 3 charges per day. 1 charge +2 bonus, 2 charges +3 bonus, 3 charges +4 bonus.

As usual, everyone went into a panic with Andy's article, but I think this show some excellent design work. What makes a lot of items pointless isn't there price, its there action cost. These swift action items are very cool and decently priced.

Agamemnon

First Post
I quite liked the 3 charges/day items with stackable effects depending on how many charges you expended. I also liked the fact the least augment crystals can be put on masterwork items, and that they don't require their target weapons to be especially forged to use them. It gives a neat alternative for the player's first magic weapon, allowing them to have something more interesting than a boring +1.

I'm not all the way through yet, but a lot of the images are truly amazing. Some of them are quite a long way away from the items they portray, but no matter. So far, my favorite are the pictures of Foxhide armor and Crystal Mask of Dread.

I did notice a few faults/annoyances, too. Items with psionic powers as prerequisites alongside spells should also have psionic item creation feats listed alongside traditional ones. It's not a major problem, and anyone with a familiarity with psionics can easily "convert" the feats. I thought I also saw a few editing problems and typos, but nothing that affected the legibility of the overall.

D.Shaffer

First Post
out of curiosity, since my copy hasnt shown up yet...

Any new/repriced incarnum items, or are the few there just unchanged reprints?

Xath

Moder-gator
I also got the MIC. Overall, I think it's a fantastic book, but I'm not too enthused about the new treasure generation table.

Mainly because it's crazy easy, takes a fraction of the time and limits the number of dice I get to roll. I no longer get to roll up 30 art objects. It's too...convenient. ;)

One of the tendancies of the book I've noticed is a large increase of lower priced items. There are now (total) over 130 magical enhancements that can be placed on a weapon. However, there is still only one +5 enhancement (vorpal).

Xath said:
Mainly because it's crazy easy, takes a fraction of the time and limits the number of dice I get to roll. I no longer get to roll up 30 art objects. It's too...convenient. ;)

The treasure gen charts include gems, art objects and mundane items? Thats a plus!

bento

Explorer
I was looking at it this past weekend at Borders and the one thing that struck me about the book is that there is SO much information in it.

As I joked with another RPGer at the store, I wished the book came with a CTRL+F function to find what I was looking for more quickly!

Atavar

First Post
Glaring Error in MIC

I really like the book, but I did find an error that really annoys me.

On p. 5 the MIC says that each +1 enhancement bonus to armor and shields adds 2 to the hardness and 10 to the h.p. of the item.

On p. 27 it says that each +1 enhancement bonus to a weapon adds 1 to the hardness and 1 to the h.p. of the item.

However, on p. 225 it says that each +1 enhancement bonus adds 2 to the hardness and 10 to the h.p. for armor, shields, AND weapons.

That's a glaring contradiction. The same contradiction is in the core rules (PHB v. DMG) as well. I would've hoped they'd have corrected that contradiction in this book.

Grrr.

I still really like the book, though.

Later,

Atavar

P.S. FYI, according to the DMG errata and the FAQ, p. 225 of the MIC is correct.

Thanks,

A.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads