• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item power costs don't compute?

So I was chatting to some one with access to the rules and he pointed this out. Magic item prices seem to be a bit, well, weird.

It seems that if you add a power to an item that 'power' (even though it does the same thing) becomes more expensive the higher the plus that also comes with the item. the example he gave was:

A Magic Orb +1 (to attack and damage of implement powers?)=360gp
An Orb of Inevitable Continuance +1 (daily power & +1)=680gp
That says to me that the daily power is worth 320gp. but....
A Magic Orb +6=1,125,000gp
An Orb of IC +6=2,125,000gp!
The power is the same for both the level 1 orb and the level 6 orb (a daily power which extends your spell) but that power is now worth 1 MEEELLLIIION gp!

So, not having the rules, what am I missing? Why would you pay 2 mill+ for a +6 orb of IC when you could buy a +6 orb (1 mill+) plus 680gp. The power included on this orb doesn't benefit from an increase attack roll, although some do, but why does this crappy power increase in price so much? My mate reckons it is the same for all magic items.

So is this just a big logic drop (and easy power for the PCs) or is there something I am missing?

Cheers
M1.9P

Tervin

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
So is this just a big logic drop (and easy power for the PCs) or is there something I am missing?

Cheers
M1.9P

Not all daily powers are equal. Low level magic items have low level daily powers, high level magic items have high level.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. Yes, it does seem a bit odd. On the other hand you can only use one orb at a time, so the thing you are missing might be that the expensive orb has both the +6 and the extra ability.

Last edited:

mrrodgers

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
So I was chatting to some one with access to the rules and he pointed this out. Magic item prices seem to be a bit, well, weird.

It seems that if you add a power to an item that 'power' (even though it does the same thing) becomes more expensive the higher the plus that also comes with the item. the example he gave was:

A Magic Orb +1 (to attack and damage of implement powers?)=360gp
An Orb of Inevitable Continuance +1 (daily power & +1)=680gp
That says to me that the daily power is worth 320gp. but....
A Magic Orb +6=1,125,000gp
An Orb of IC +6=2,125,000gp!
The power is the same for both the level 1 orb and the level 6 orb (a daily power which extends your spell) but that power is now worth 1 MEEELLLIIION gp!

So, not having the rules, what am I missing? Why would you pay 2 mill+ for a +6 orb of IC when you could buy a +6 orb (1 mill+) plus 680gp. The power included on this orb doesn't benefit from an increase attack roll, although some do, but why does this crappy power increase in price so much? My mate reckons it is the same for all magic items.

Cheers
M1.9P
lets see... Inevitable Continuance is not a weapon property, so there for, you are not paying to add the power to the item.

Anyway, the reason why it costs so much is that player wealth increases exponentially at each level, thus, magic item prices must increase exponentially as well.

As a caveat, i see a big loophole here to keep a spell effect going on for a very long time. A high level character buys thousands of OoIC +1, stuffs them in a couple portable holes, and then during combat, as a free action, they get to both draw and toss a weapon aside. So, each turn the wizard/warlock grabs one from his/her bag and drops the previous one, then uses the minor action and continues the round as normal.

NMcCoy

Explorer
More to the point, can one activate the power of an item even when "wielding" a different weapon or implement for the purposes of attacks, provided you have the free hand?

Can my planned ranger/wizard use a dagger in one hand as a weapon and a staff in the other as an implement?

Counter-ninja edit!
Daily magic item power uses, out of all the items you have, are restricted to 1/day for Heroic, 2/day for Paragon, and 3/day for Epic. You regain one use at each milestone.
Also, it appears that portable holes can't carry anything anymore...

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
NMcCoy said:
More to the point, can one activate the power of an item even when "wielding" a different weapon or implement for the purposes of attacks, provided you have the free hand?

Can my planned ranger/wizard use a dagger in one hand as a weapon and a staff in the other as an implement?
From everything we have seen, yes. As far as I can tell, TWF does not discriminate from hand to hand.

Lurker59

First Post
Magic items' properties are given a gold value, but rather a level one. That Inevitable Continuation seems to be worth a +2 level increase. Each additional +1 is also worth +5 levels. So the level differential will remain constant throughout the tiers. As a percentage of a PCs wealth the difference should remain about the same. Though I guess if someone was really cheap they could keep a +6 magic orb and a +1 IC orb to try to save money. Dual-wielding implements, perhaps? :)

Last edited:

You are forgetting that its no the ability, its the level of the item that matters. A +6 magic orb is a level 26 magic item while a +6 IC orb is a level 28 item.

OK maybe I wasn't clear. This has been what has been said to me:

Magic Orb +1=360gp
Orb of IC +1=680gp.
So both of these Orbs give a +1 to attack and damage with any power with the implement keyword. However the IC orb also gives you a daily power which makes one of your powers last 1 more round. For having this power the IC orb is worth 320gp more, fair enough.
However the +6 versions:
Magic Orb +6= 1.125 million gp
Orb of IC +6=2.125 million gp.
Both these orbs give you +6 to attack and damage with any power with the implement keyword. However the IC orb gives you a daily power which makes one of your powers last 1 more round. For having this power the IC orb is worth 1,000,000gp more, WTF!

If I was making magic items I would make a Magic orb +6 (giving me +6 to att and dam) and a Orb of IC +1 (giving me a daily power to extend one of my powers for one round) total cost=1,125,680gp. Yes i would have to swap orbs to get the magic benefit I wanted (but only once per day!) but I would save 1 million gp? (assuming that making a magic item cost you the same ass the market cost, I think that is right?)

Ii just makes no sense to me?

Ten

First Post
The way they make these effects powerful is that you can only use 1 magic weapon effect per day per tier. That is to say, you could have your normal orb +6 and buy a cheapo Orb of Inevitable Continuance +1, but any attack you make that turn has 5 less attack and damage, and once you use that ability you have 2 more weapon abilities to use that day. That way you can have a small collection of different effects, but a golfbag full of implements or weapons is more or less useless.

Well, there are still different properties you can take advantage of...but in general, you can't collect weapons for their powers only.

ForbidenMaster said:
You are forgetting that its no the ability, its the level of the item that matters. A +6 magic orb is a level 26 magic item while a +6 IC orb is a level 28 item.
Fair enough but any magic item creating pc is going to make one +6 item with no powers and add a few +1 with powers, and whip out those items when you want a specific power

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads