Level Up (A5E) Magic Item Price List

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Some things I found:
  • The type for Aegis of the Eternal Moon is listed as Armor (shield) but all other magic shields are listed just as Armor.
  • Cantrip Wand is listed as a Wondrous item; should it be a Wand?
  • Devil's Eye Ring is listed as a Wondrous item; should it be a Ring?
  • Elemental Quiver is listed as a Weapon; should it be a Wondrous item?
  • Glass Ring is listed as a Wondrous item; should it be a Ring?
  • Impossible Cube has no Type or Rarity listed, just repeating its name.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The thought behind the armor pricing is that medium and heavy armor wearers have 2 ways to boost the AC of their armor (upgrading their mundane armor and getting magical armor), while light armor wearers boost their Dex and get magic armor. The pricing for the magic armors was done so that, say, Splint +2 and Full Plate +1 would cost similar, since they both grant AC 19. The reason for the very low cost of, say, Padded Cloth +1, is it's the same 12+Dex AC as mundane Padded Leather.

Checking if this was an appropriate approach is part of the playtest.
That seems to work for the armours themselves but IMO the Ring of Protection and Cloak are too good for their price when compared to armour.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The ring and the cloak give a bonus to saves as well as AC.
Exactly! (I may have worded the post that you quoted weird. I mean that the Ring and Cloak are better than +1 armour and should be priced as such. I think you may have thought that I meant the opposite?)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Exactly! (I may have worded the post that you quoted weird. I mean that the Ring and Cloak are better than +1 armour and should be priced as such. I think you may have thought that I meant the opposite?)
Yeah, sorry. I definitely read it as the opposite. Mea culpa!

GKEnialb

Explorer
I had performed a previous exercise, based upon some searching on the Internet (there was a good analysis I found somewhere - maybe the oots forum?) and some tweaking of my own. If it's of interest, I added what I think the base O5E rarity is, the cost I use, and comparisons to Level Up to the table that Rabulias created.

Attachments

• Price Comparison.txt
    37.1 KB · Views: 96

Xeviat

Hero
That seems to work for the armours themselves but IMO the Ring of Protection and Cloak are too good for their price when compared to armour.
The cloak of protection is comparable to the "lesser" armor of each category at +1, but the cloak of protection also takes up an attunement slot while raw +1 armor doesn't. That has to count for something. So the cloak of protection right now is 500 gp, while the Hauberk +1 is 450; cloak of protection gets you +1 saves, but costs your attunement slot, while the hauberk costs a tiny bit less and doesn't cost an attunement slot. Is that a fair trade? Maybe not. Cloak of protection was placed at the high end of the uncommons, which means the +1 uncommon armors might need to be dialed down depending on what value everyone feels attunement should have?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The cloak of protection is comparable to the "lesser" armor of each category at +1, but the cloak of protection also takes up an attunement slot while raw +1 armor doesn't. That has to count for something. So the cloak of protection right now is 500 gp, while the Hauberk +1 is 450; cloak of protection gets you +1 saves, but costs your attunement slot, while the hauberk costs a tiny bit less and doesn't cost an attunement slot. Is that a fair trade? Maybe not. Cloak of protection was placed at the high end of the uncommons, which means the +1 uncommon armors might need to be dialed down depending on what value everyone feels attunement should have?
+1 cloak of protect adds the ac and saves and stacks with +1 +2 or +3 armor and +1+2 or 3 ahield unless levelup changes stacking or changes the item itswlf

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't think that whether or not an object requires attunement should alter its price. The attunement is there to restrict how many powerful items the PC can have, but beyond that doesn't have any affect.

Remove ads