Level Up (A5E) Magic Item Price List

TheHand

Adventurer
Yes! Glad to have this. I had made my own price lists ages ago, but something more standardized would be very helpful.
One area I'd consider reducing prices are the expensive potions (especially the ones in the 1000's of gold range).

I've found players either just tend to hoard the potions or choose to sell them off as valuable trade-goods rather than ever use them, rather than "waste" that 1-time use.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Yes! Glad to have this. I had made my own price lists ages ago, but something more standardized would be very helpful.
One area I'd consider reducing prices are the expensive potions (especially the ones in the 1000's of gold range).

I've found players either just tend to hoard the potions or choose to sell them off as valuable trade-goods rather than ever use them, rather than "waste" that 1-time use.
This tends to happen more for loot and random potions. When you can actually shop for them at reasonable prices potions are a lot more useful because you can grab a few as "Just in case" contingencies, and they feel less obsessively save worthy since you can just go buy more. 5e's potions design makes them simultaneously super rare and super useless and it always infuriated me. I do think the multi-thousand ones that are just a second or third level spell effect (Fly, Invisibility, Haste) are way overpriced though and feel like "Shoulda brought a Wizard lol".

Stalker0

Legend
Any chance you all could throw that into an excel file? Giving us the ability to sort and filter will greatly help look for irregularities and issues

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don't think any armor +1 should cost more than a Ring of Protection or a Cloak of Protection. One could just buy the ring or cloak and wear it with regular armor, and also get a +1 to all saves at the same time.

I would argue that the ring and cloak are significantly better than +1 armour. They give the AC benefit and more, and RP-wise are more comfortable.

Horwath

Legend
The price of armor is totally out of proportion, especially for a plate.

If the aim of limiting +X to AC with price, why not just remove armors with +X AC altogether?

Have AC give extra HPs instead.
I.E. armor can give +1/+2/+3 or +2/+4+/6 current and max HP per HD of user. Or have a fixed amount of HP bonus regardless of the level of user. maybe +10/+20/+30/+40/+50

Mmmm...

A potion of cloud giant strength (27) is 5k and a potion of storm giant strength (29) is 50k. I can see the last +1 justifying the outrageous price, but then, I'd say that 45k for a belt of CGS (9 times the potion) isn't commensurate with the 100k for a belt of SGS. (twice the potion).

aco175

Legend
I also tend to combine items. A dancing sword (8,000) gets combined with a +1 (500) weapon or a +3 (8,000). I'm not sure if I would just add the numbers or scale things so that a +3 dancing sword costs 32,000 instead of just 16,000. The defender sword (60,000) is already a +3 so maybe the scale should be triple and the +3 dancing might be 48,000.

Same idea of going from +1 weapon/armor to +2. If I have a +1 sword (500) and had a chance to boost it to +2 (3,500). Would I just pay the 3,500 or take off the 500 already paid to make the base product? It makes sense to sell the +1 to offset the +2. Interested to see what they come up on this.

It would probably be helpful to know when adventurers are supposed to have 1,000 gp, 5,000 gp, 25,000 gp, etc.

Any chance you can regenerate this list with a column saying: "consumable, charges per day, or permanent"? (Unlikely, I know, but that would help with price evaluation and it would probably be useful in the book wherever the list of magic items is.)

Chain shirt +3 is 2,000. Elven Chain is 5,000. No idea what the difference would be but traditionally, Elven Chain is not +3 to AC. Is the 3,000 gp difference just because of rarity even though both items are listed as "rare"?

Same with the potions of Giant Strength. Is a potion of storm giant strength really 45,000 gp "better" than a potion of cloud giant strength?

Rarity should play some part in magic item pricing but actual utility should be the main driver of price. Who would pay 50,000 gp for a POTION?

Remove ads