• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic items in D&D Next: Remove them as PC dependant?

Should PC's be dependant on magic items?

• Yes

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 162 93.6%

S

Sunseeker

The plot evolves characters a lot more than magic items do. That doesn't mean the DM shouldn't be in charge of offering the options (plot hooks) that the players choose from.

The DM is likely to set up situations that basically say something like: "Hey you are an elf, why don't you explore your elven heritage by confronting these human slavers who enslave elves."

(Cf. Dragon Age CRPG, where city-dwelling elves are treated as rabble.)
Plot hooks depend on subtlety. I don't think there's a lot of hooks that can be thrown in your face without wearing the process out. But sure, providing plot hooks for players to develop their characters is certainly reasonable. I just never pressure them to follow one.

I don't see a need for an artificial distinction between bling and gear. Anything the characters find is just loot/treasure until they decide to either sell it or use it. As the DM I don't often know which they will do.

You only "need" the distinction with wealth guidelines, because selling something means the character usually loses some of the wealth. Even then the DM can just react to rebalance after he sees what gets sold.
I don't think it's artificial. Weapons, armor, trinkets, utility stuff, these have explicit gamist uses. The players or other people want them for those explicit uses. Paintings and rugs do not(unless it's a magical painting but then you're getting into a grey area). My point is that while yes, EVERYTHING is treasure at the beginning, some of it will always be flash and cash while some of it will have actual uses within the game.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Andor said:
Excalibur
Stormbringer
Anduril
Mjolnir

Actually, each of these items, IMHO are from what I would consider low-magic worlds. Magic is NOT by any means common. This has 2 possible emulations in D&D:
1) Even a "+1 magic" weapon is considered an amazingly powerful item. OR
2) There are no such things as "common" items like a +1 sword in these worlds. The only Magic Items that can/do exist in these worlds are what D&D classifies as Artifacts.

The core issue here is really based on expectation of the kind of campaign world you want to be running.

A High-Magic world like Forgotten Realms, where there are literally hundreds of thousands of arcane and divine practitioners running around leads to a world where magic items become commonplace. This has becme the standard core for the D&D system. It is basically the same itemization model that was adopted (from RPGs like D&D) into MMOs.

For those who want to run a Low-Magic game, where items are very uncommon, very weak, or a combination of the two... has always required a lot of fudging in D&D since the rule system has always assumed their existence in the game balance of the mechanics.

5E seems to be taking a step back and looking at the possibility of changing this core paradigm, taking magic items OUT of the core mechanics balancing equation and making them an option that can be added in afterward. To me, this is a good thing as it widens the audience to which the D&D game mechanics can be useful, embracing the Grim & Gritty, Low Magic, Sword & Sorcery types back to the fold.

NotZenon

Explorer
First of all, great thread idea.

I will say i have not read even close to the 9 pages of this discussion, so i'm sorry if my opinion is just a rehash of whats been said already.

I love magic items but not when they are so common that they become blah. When i read fantasy novels they are really cool cause magic items do something unique. Somethings "awe" factor really is proportional to its rarity (and power) for example a handgun would be a rare and powerful magic item in ancient Egypt, but not so much in southern (modern) Texas. A +5 sword at level X isn't any more magical or awe inspiring than a +1 sword at low level if everyone has them. But to be honest "Plus" anything swords have never been that awe inspiring. Might as well call it a nondescript game mechanic modifier weapon. Game mechanics are something abstract, and therefore will never be that awe inspiring. Sure you can say its +1 because its lighter and sharper than other swords, but players know that a sword can only become so light and so sharp. Just trying to say that mechanical modifiers will never be as interesting as items that actually "do stuff". If i was designing the new edition i would consider removing mechanical modifier items altogether.

Another thing that ruins magic items in my opinion, is the bag of holding full of potions of healing. Or the bag of holding full of magical wands. Or bags of holding full of anything really. I have no logical criticism of this other than it just seems campy. It seems like a cheap way of getting around the class limits on spells as well. Who cares if the mage only gets X first levels spells when he has a wand of 10,000 magic missiles?

In my personal opinion this all harkens back to the video game industry. In a video game RPG there are only so many ways to reward players and thusly make the game funner (so they will keep playing). You can reward them with a level up every few hours, or a story line completion every few hours, but other than that; buying new stuff, and finding new stuff is what keeps dragging them along to the next level, so much more so in mmorpg's than in story based rpg's. In my opinion what attracts players to table top gaming, rather than video game gaming is what it can bring that a video game can't. Sure there is the in person interaction, that is definitely a strong factor, but also in a good game, there is the idea that you can play your favorite book or movie style hero, and actually have a chance that the game is going to be about more than just collecting stuff and leveling up. Anyways i'm just rambling my way now.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Well, looks like I entirely missed the boat on this one but I'm really, really, really happy to see that the vast majority of people agree that PC's shouldn't be dependent on magical items. I want my character to be special because of his abilities, not because of what he's wearing.

Balesir

Adventurer
Magic items as a necessity to "make the maths work" are not a good feature, I agree. I'm very tempted to go with the idea of taking away ALL the +X properties of items - have them only have properties, powers and so on.

One innovation of 4E I really want to see retained, though, is the Artifact/Item distinction. Simply put, "Magic Items" are relatively common things that mortals (including the PCs) can make and modify. Maybe they are even found in "Magic Shops". "Artifacts", on the other hand, are items that can not (or no longer?) be made by mortals and can only be gained by being found/given/recovered. In other words, Artifacts are part of the game world, not part of the characters - they are in the DM's gift and purview. They need not be uber-powerful - a "First Level" Artifact makes perfect sense, to me. They are just qualitatively different from Magic Items - not just "tenth level spells"...

Given a system like this, it would be easy as pie to make it "modular". Those who want ultra-low-magic worlds just have Artifacts only - no Magic Items. They can't be made, they can't (realistically) be sold - they are literally priceless. And they don't have to ba balanced, either.

For those who want added character customisation options shared and managed by the party as a whole - use Magic Items. And, for those times you need something situationally gonzo as a McGuffin - use an Artifact!

First of all, great thread idea.

I will say i have not read even close to the 9 pages of this discussion, so i'm sorry if my opinion is just a rehash of whats been said already.

I love magic items but not when they are so common that they become blah. When i read fantasy novels they are really cool cause magic items do something unique. Somethings "awe" factor really is proportional to its rarity (and power) for example a handgun would be a rare and powerful magic item in ancient Egypt, but not so much in southern (modern) Texas. A +5 sword at level X isn't any more magical or awe inspiring than a +1 sword at low level if everyone has them. But to be honest "Plus" anything swords have never been that awe inspiring. Might as well call it a nondescript game mechanic modifier weapon. Game mechanics are something abstract, and therefore will never be that awe inspiring. Sure you can say its +1 because its lighter and sharper than other swords, but players know that a sword can only become so light and so sharp. Just trying to say that mechanical modifiers will never be as interesting as items that actually "do stuff". If i was designing the new edition i would consider removing mechanical modifier items altogether.

Another thing that ruins magic items in my opinion, is the bag of holding full of potions of healing. Or the bag of holding full of magical wands. Or bags of holding full of anything really. I have no logical criticism of this other than it just seems campy. It seems like a cheap way of getting around the class limits on spells as well. Who cares if the mage only gets X first levels spells when he has a wand of 10,000 magic missiles?

In my personal opinion this all harkens back to the video game industry. In a video game RPG there are only so many ways to reward players and thusly make the game funner (so they will keep playing). You can reward them with a level up every few hours, or a story line completion every few hours, but other than that; buying new stuff, and finding new stuff is what keeps dragging them along to the next level, so much more so in mmorpg's than in story based rpg's. In my opinion what attracts players to table top gaming, rather than video game gaming is what it can bring that a video game can't. Sure there is the in person interaction, that is definitely a strong factor, but also in a good game, there is the idea that you can play your favorite book or movie style hero, and actually have a chance that the game is going to be about more than just collecting stuff and leveling up. Anyways i'm just rambling my way now.

Well, it long predates the video game industry of course. I can attest that in the very earliest adventures in the days before days (or at least before the first module) there were plenty of magic items being given out. I think the thing is it is easy to talk about amazingly cool games where the magic is magic, the barbarians are all mighty thewed heroes with a great backstory, and the women are all... Er, em, where was I.

The truth is that most DMs are not incredible story tellers. We're just ordinary mortals and playing a fun casual game where if we're lucky the campaign goes somewhere and most of it is about instant gratification and fun moments. Handing out some magic items is a cool and easy way to have some fun and move things along. Yeah, it isn't exactly highbrow literary quality fantasy epic, but it is FUN.

Thus the game really mostly is designed to cater to the common man amongst gamers. In fact this probably explains the success of D&D specifically through the years more than anything else. It's a very accessible game. Most ordinary people, like me, can whip up an adventure that consists of a plot hook or two, a fairly simple map, some basic monsters, and a pile of treasure or two. On our more inspired days we come up with a pretty cliche NPC and some reasonably cunning traps. I've DMed for basically ever and I'll be totally honest, that's really the root of my being successful, to some degree, as a DM.

In the final analysis the people designing a new version of D&D have to ask themselves some questions. The main one being what segment of the audience is it most important to support and to what degree does that need to shape the way the game works? IMHO for most DMs and groups a game that easily slots in all the magic items they're going to be handed anyway seems like a pretty solid choice to make. Sure, that means items are basically assumed, but it also means the average DM has a fairly easy time running the game. If it can be done in such a way that the game also supports the amazing tales of the Piratecat's of the world that's great. Most of us just aren't in that league and such options probably won't help us a lot.

At the end of a hard-fought battle when my players are eagerly expecting treasure and cool lootz and getting ready to tote up their XP totals and see if they went up a level yet a few magical items that they can use in the next adventure and do something cool, albeit even if it is just add to a die roll they make often, that meets the need. I'd be kind of surprised if 5e wasn't aimed largely at that kind of DM and game. I know it probably would be if I were in charge.

I'd really strongly favor a design that allows for the rare unique story-item-only mode of play as well. Honestly though is 4e not pretty much that game? It certainly is much more so than 3.x is from what I can see. You have a relatively simple official option in the book that supports getting rid of any mechanical dependency and really the rest is always going to be up to the DM. Given that such games are run by people who have a pretty thorough understanding of the game, generally, I'd be most likely in favor of making really low magic the option and making classic D&D magic-is-common the default option. Maybe there's a cleaner way to do it than 4e did, but I'm hard-pressed to see what it is.

Andor

First Post
Actually, each of these items, IMHO are from what I would consider low-magic worlds. Magic is NOT by any means common. This has 2 possible emulations in D&D:
1) Even a "+1 magic" weapon is considered an amazingly powerful item. OR
2) There are no such things as "common" items like a +1 sword in these worlds. The only Magic Items that can/do exist in these worlds are what D&D classifies as Artifacts.

I have to disagree with you I'm afraid.

Let's look at that list:

Excalibur: Ok, here you have a point. But it was hardly the only magic item floating around in Arthurian legend. It wasn't even the only item Arthur himself used.

Stormbringer: Without question Stormbringer was an aritfact level sword. However Elric is not the offspring of a magic-poor world. It was a world where magic was fading a bit but the remnants of a magic-rich age were everywhere. Magic mirrors, the ship that sailed on land and sea, etc.

Mjolnir: The Norse gods thought magic was for sissies by and large (Although Odin was a notable sorcerer) but the myths involve plenty of enchanted items. Including the goats that pulled Thors chariot.

Anduril: You know, middle-earth often gets held up as a low magic world, but I have no idea why. Magic items are everywhere. Bilbo gave them out by the wagon-load at his birthday party. The swords from the barrow-mound were obviously enchanted, but were not special at the time and place they were made. Sting was just an elven dagger. Everything the elves made was magic including the rope. Faramir handed out enchanted walking staves on a whim. Middle-earth does not generally go in for flashy magic, but it is everywhere. And there is actually more flashiness then is generally recognized, it's just that Americans expect overblown hyperbole in the depiction, and Tolkein was an understated English gentlemen with no great interest in describing magical flashes and bangs, he had seen enough of that in WW I.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads