D&D 5E Magic Sword Idea - inspired by #swordtember

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

Apparently #swordtember is a thing. Mainly it's just sword art, but one guy has created a coin-powered magic sword for D&D 5e.

That got me thinking: what if the sword just had one slot, and the effect (and maybe its duration) changed depending on what type of coin you inserted into it.

The sword would need a different effect for each of the 5 main D&D coins (copper, silver, electrum, gold, platinum).

Obviously the power of the effect should increase with each coin type, but I'm thinking the duration should decrease (so you get more powerful effects but they don't last for as long ... like how greater invisibility only lasts for a minute vs a full hour for regular invisibility).

My initial thoughts:
Inserting a coin into the slot and activating the effect requires an action.
1 copper coin = the sword deals an additional 1d4 damage for 1 hour
1 silver coin = the sword becomes a +1 magic weapon that counts as being silvered for 10 minutes
1 electrum coin = the sword becomes either a flame tongue or a frost brand (your choice) for 1 minute
1 gold coin = the sword becomes a sun blade for 1 turn
1 platinum coin = the sword counts as a vorpal sword for 1 attack

If you were designing a magic sword like this, how would you do it?

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's very interesting - it could be a weapon by some god of commerce or greed - you are literally paying them for the magic to operate the weapon

I think though that, given this idea, copper pieces should not be enough though. Lastly, I'll note that as written, this is... kinda bad. Using a bonus action to get a bonus to one attack? Not great.

pukunui

Legend
It's very interesting - it could be a weapon by some god of commerce or greed - you are literally paying them for the magic to operate the weapon
(y)

I think though that, given this idea, copper pieces should not be enough though.
Why not?

Another way to look at it could be:
copper = common magic item effect
silver = uncommon magic item effect
electrum = rare magic item effect
gold = very rare magic item effect
platinum = legendary magic item effect

Lastly, I'll note that as written, this is... kinda bad. Using a bonus action to get a bonus to one attack? Not great.
Not that great if you've just got 1 coin in there, but if you put ten in, you can give yourself a +10 to attack and damage for your next attack. The seems like more than a fair trade for a bonus action to me.

darjr

I crit!
@Dyson Logos has embraced this swordtember thing.

Swordtember dyson logos 1.jpeg

Swordtember Dyson Logos 2.jpeg

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
(y)

Why not?

Another way to look at it could be:
copper = common magic item effect
silver = uncommon magic item effect
electrum = rare magic item effect
gold = very rare magic item effect
platinum = legendary magic item effect

Not that great if you've just got 1 coin in there, but if you put ten in, you can give yourself a +10 to attack and damage for your next attack. The seems like more than a fair trade for a bonus action to me.
There is no way a god of greed OR a god of commerce would accept a measly COPPER COIN in exchange for magic.

An a platinum coin for a legendary effect? Pffffff

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

I think though that, given this idea, copper pieces should not be enough though. Lastly, I'll note that as written, this is... kinda bad. Using a bonus action to get a bonus to one attack? Not great.
Not even by spending all 10 coins and getting a +10 to attack?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Not even by spending all 10 coins and getting a +10 to attack?
That's bad too because it breaks 5e's math.

I would do it that you can only spend one coin at a time, but it doesn't take a bonus action, it's part of the attack. Your sword could still run out rather fast, but at least it avoids a number of issues.

pukunui

Legend
That's bad too because it breaks 5e's math.
No more so than a war cleric (+10 to attack) or the GWM/Sharpshooter feats (+10 dmg).

That said, I'm not so keen on the taxblade concept myself. I like my idea better - one coin at a time, but the effect varies depending on the type of coin.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm just brainstorming here. How would you do it?
Thematically, the god would want more value - I think your scale is interesting, but too "cheap"

I think you also need to tweak the mechanics a bit. If you spend an action for an effect that last one turn...

Remove ads