• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Weapons - 2 specific questions

akbearfoot

First Post
I am surprised your concerned about flaming/frost....you have 3 characters that all took holy, and you actually allowed someone to take magebane(aka Almost everything bane). Magebane is horrendously unbalanced and underprices....it would be worth the cost of a +3 ability but somehow ended up as +1.

You've got 3 martial oriented classes.....your simplest solution is to grapple them...none of those weapons can be used in a grapple. The other solution is to attack them from above with aerial attackers.

Attack them with Modrons... :)

practically everything they fight should be immune to half of those enhancments....golems are unalligned, as are oozes and a many outsiders. High level undead have all sorts of immunities and cant be Crit hit. Demons and devils are usually immune/resistant to acid/fire/cold. Plus they get damage reduction against all those hits. That should be especially hard on the archer character.

Advanced Mind flayers come to mind as logical opponents.....psionic levitating in the air raining down mind blasts and other nasty psionic powers.

Runestar

First Post
Note also that it takes a Command Word to activate these properties, like Flaming/Frost/Shock. Command Word activation is a standard action for each individual item.

Aren't you allowed to give them all the same activation phrase? To be honest, I never really bothered enforcing it...:p

washout

First Post
I think the real answer is that you have 15th level characters and characters at that level have a high damage output. Imagine the damage output if none of them were melee characters with big magical weapons, and were instead a bunch of mages/druids/clerics casting 10 all day buffs per day etc..

Many people have seen that the CR system does not hold up well past level 10 so maybe it's time to up the CR by 2 or 3 on every encounter but don't give them the additional experience for it, or simply allocate experience independent of that system alltogether.

It could be that they have too much gold or magic for their level so they may just be acting as characters that are really a few levels higher than they look.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Aren't you allowed to give them all the same activation phrase? To be honest, I never really bothered enforcing it...:p

Energies from weapons never harm the user and his equipments. So you can let it be active 24h/day or at least make it always on while you are awake. And people usually do so.

Sometimes, it is useful that those functions can be "off", though. Say, when fighting against flesh golems, shocking property should better be "off".

skelso

First Post
I am surprised your concerned about flaming/frost....you have 3 characters that all took holy, and you actually allowed someone to take magebane(aka Almost everything bane). Magebane is horrendously unbalanced and underprices....it would be worth the cost of a +3 ability but somehow ended up as +1.

You've got 3 martial oriented classes.....your simplest solution is to grapple them...none of those weapons can be used in a grapple. The other solution is to attack them from above with aerial attackers.

Attack them with Modrons... :)

practically everything they fight should be immune to half of those enhancments....golems are unalligned, as are oozes and a many outsiders. High level undead have all sorts of immunities and cant be Crit hit. Demons and devils are usually immune/resistant to acid/fire/cold. Plus they get damage reduction against all those hits. That should be especially hard on the archer character.

Advanced Mind flayers come to mind as logical opponents.....psionic levitating in the air raining down mind blasts and other nasty psionic powers.

Well, I'm running a Pathfinder campaign rather than writing my own. Most of the time, everything is fine. Occasionally, a fight that's supposed to be hard is a little too easy. The campaign I'm running uses a lot of advanced hit-die monsters and npcs with class levels rather than just straight-from-the-book monsters of an appropriate CR. I don't want it to sound like the game is just totally broken. I'm mostly just curious if I've been running magic weapons correctly.

I was concerned about magebane at first, but so far it hasn't been bad. It's at the high end of a +1 ability, but definitely not to +3. I'm fairly strict about what he can use it on. The monster has to either be an actual arcane spell-caster, or the spell-like abilities have to be clearly arcane. If a creature has abilities that seem to be a mix of arcane and divine and doesn't clearly specify what sort of magic it's using, I usually declare it to be divine unless the abilities are mostly sorceror/wizard spells.

I do like to squeeze in demons and devils whenever possible, though the adventure path doesn't make very frequent use of them.

Hmm, Modrons would be good. Not evil, immune to criticals, lots of resistances, divine spell-like abilities. Most of them can fly...

skelso

First Post
Also, I don't think anyone has answered the question about having to overcome damage reduction for the special abilities to work.

For example: Flaming Longsword. You hit a creature with DR 10. You roll 7 regular damage and 4 fire damage. Does the creature get the 4 fire damage, or does the fact that you failed to do any regular damage make the creature also immune to any extra damage from special abilites?

There is some precedent for this. It is my understanding that if you fail to injure a creature due to DR, any poison on the weapon will fail to affect it as well.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Magebane ability was re-written in more clear way in Magic Item Compendium. Now it states that either arcane spells or invocations. It is not a true rule change, because amongst spell-like abilities only invocations have been mentioned as arcane from the beginning.

Regarding flaming/frost or holy weapons, in my experience they are not too strong in 3.5e. With the same cost, you can have +2 better enhancement bonus. That is +2 hit and +2 damage. Two-handed weapon wielder with Power Attack feat can convert that +2 bonus to +4 damages. The result is +6 damages which affects on everything.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Also, I don't think anyone has answered the question about having to overcome damage reduction for the special abilities to work.

For example: Flaming Longsword. You hit a creature with DR 10. You roll 7 regular damage and 4 fire damage. Does the creature get the 4 fire damage, or does the fact that you failed to do any regular damage make the creature also immune to any extra damage from special abilites?

There is some precedent for this. It is my understanding that if you fail to injure a creature due to DR, any poison on the weapon will fail to affect it as well.
DR never blocks energy damage:
DR only works against manufactored and natural weapons. neither is energy damage so that bypasses DR.

Yes, that means falling damage bypasses DR too.

In your example, you'd deal 4 fire and no non-fire damage.

Poison specifically says it only works then.

FEADIN

Explorer
From the SRD:

Damage Reduction

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A certain kind of weapon can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below......
Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury type poison, a monk’s stunning, and injury type disease. Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Energy damage is ok even if the DR negates the weapon damage itself.

akbearfoot

First Post
I wasnt aware that magebane got changed...it used to apply to basically everything high level that you encountered.

PCs usually have an easy time dealing with classed NPCs, especially ones that can't cast spells....Since the bulk of most PCs power comes from their magic items and NPC humanoids get substantially less gear than PCs.

Remove ads