• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Horseshoe Attack

A mounted warrior wants to improve his horse's combat effectiveness. Would a magical horseshoe be game breaking if it acted like a +1 weapon to that one hoof attack? The biggest thing that I can see is that it is much more cost effective to enchant horseshoes than to purchase an amulet of mighty fist. Also, while I don't think there are any rules about which hoof is attacking, I've always pictured it as a horse rearing up and striking with both hooves.

What do you say enworld? Is this a horrible/awesome/meh idea?

LostSoul

Adventurer
With many things 3E, I think it depends on how you DM the game. I don't think +1 horseshoes are going to cause any problems. Will +1 holy frost shocking brilliant energy horseshoes have issues? Probably not, but only you can judge that.

delericho

Legend
I agree with the consensus - there's no reason you couldn't enchant a horseshoe as a magical weapon, in exactly the same way as you can masterwork gauntlets. As with things like magical shields, though, they would need to be enchanted separately as weapons and as utility items if you wanted them to be both horseshoes +1 and horseshoes of the zephyr, for example.

PureGoldx58

First Post
While I like the idea of a magical horseshoe. ( I had a way different idea where this thread was going, a luck item or something similar)

If "3.0" information is usable the Necklace of Natural Attacks (Savage Species) is the best Natural weapon enhancement I have found, at least the best one that can apply to multiple natural weapons. So if that is the end result wanted, this might be a better option since animals can wear it.

Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Savage Species): The enhancement bonus on this necklace is applied to attack and damage rolls involving one or more of the wearer's natural weapons. In addition, any weapon special quality applied to this necklace also applies to those natural weapons. For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus as well as the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer's natural weapons.

Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Market Price: 600 gp, plus the cost of the enhancement bonuses, times by the number of natural weapons affected. (Thus, a +1 necklace of natural weapons that affects one natural weapon costs 2,600 gp. If the same necklace affects six natural weapons, it costs 15,600 gp.) Weight: --.

Edit: All druids should have this.

MarkB

Legend
Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Savage Species): The enhancement bonus on this necklace is applied to attack and damage rolls involving one or more of the wearer's natural weapons. In addition, any weapon special quality applied to this necklace also applies to those natural weapons. For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus as well as the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer's natural weapons.

Interesting. Does it spell out that the natural weapon in question needs to be naturally detachable, or can this necklace actually give creatures the ability to rocket-punch their enemies?

PureGoldx58

First Post
Interesting. Does it spell out that the natural weapon in question needs to be naturally detachable, or can this necklace actually give creatures the ability to rocket-punch their enemies?

The example is actually kind of silly, but from the way it is written it is to be treated as any magical weapon would be. (ie: +1, etc and can't enchant it as a ranged weapon unless it is ranged, etc) If you can't detach it normally I wouldn't advise throwing it. Although if it did have returning you could cut off your hand and hurl it at an enemy and maybe regenerate it back on?

MarkB

Legend
The example is actually kind of silly, but from the way it is written it is to be treated as any magical weapon would be. (ie: +1, etc and can't enchant it as a ranged weapon unless it is ranged, etc) If you can't detach it normally I wouldn't advise throwing it. Although if it did have returning you could cut off your hand and hurl it at an enemy and maybe regenerate it back on?

It is a slightly bizarre example. The Throwing weapon property specifically applies only to melee weapons, turning them into throwing weapons, so it could not, for instance, be applied to a manticore's tail spikes. I can't think of any creature with a detachable natural weapon that is not a ranged weapon.

Remove ads