• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Major WotC Announcement At Origins?

Green Knight

First Post
Now for the rumor from Origins. I am advised that WotC was demonstrating but not selling from their booth, that the buzz is that a sale is about to be announced, and that the rumor, I repeat RUMOR, on the floor was that media mogul Ted Turner has bought D&D. Remember, you heard it here first, unless it's not true.

I hope this is a joke! God help us if Ted Turner actually HAS bought D&D!

explanation: he got kicked out of Brown for painting swastika on the doors of Jewish students.

WTF?!? Asswipe!

And, he has been known to walk down to cnn and tell anchors to make editorial points while on air.

And people wonder why I say CNN's biased up the wazoo. :rolleyes:

Xeriar

First Post
Lady Dragon said:
Ted Turner owning D&D is scary what would he possibly want with it.Let's just hope it isn't true.

Wasn't he the one that bought Dairy Queen just because he liked their blizzards?

He would want it to rub it in the noses of Fundamentalist Christians by being able to say 'You see this? Know what this is? It's Dungeons and Dragons, and it is never, ever going away.'

Or something to that effect.

noretoc

First Post
Re: rumor

This is just another rumor I heard around town, but there is a sale. Aaron Spelling is going to buy it, and Shannon Dougherty is going to be the new spokeperson and model. Something about a chainmail bikini, that "accidently" slips off. I do know they will be running a new line called "charmed" in which all of the main characters from the TV show are statted. (I hear the witches are each level 9 enchantresses with psionics.) I can't wait to see the figures. They are supposed to be the size of barbie dolls and come with changeble armor. There will also be a 21 page handbook on story ideas. (I heard that it is just a collection of soap opera plots though so it should be cheap)

Last edited:

CWD

First Post
Xeriar said:
He would want it to rub it in the noses of Fundamentalist Christians by being able to say 'You see this? Know what this is? It's Dungeons and Dragons, and it is never, ever going away.'

Or something to that effect.

You know what, you may be right. Didn't he divorce Jane Fonda because she became a born-again Christian?

Please don't let it be true... please don't let it be true... please dont' let it be true...

VoodooGroves

First Post
Well...

(1) If it is sold, I think whoever speculated that the FR and DL stuff may have some rights kept by WoTC is probably right.
(2) The submission idea takes on a whole new direction - it really is no longer D&D related AT ALL - instead its novel/board/TCG and MAYBE d20 related
(3) Whomever is at the helm (regardless of who buys it) will likely have a large impact as well. Anyone who loves the game will still change it somewhat to meet their ideals but we'll know they are doing it because they love it.
(4) Maybe, just maybe, Joss Whedon bought it. Or AOL/TimeWarner. Or Ross Perot. Or Walmart.

And, he has been known to walk down to cnn and tell anchors to make editorial points while on air.
No kidding. Well, we knew that at least. I mean, he does own CNN - it is his toy, right? :)

Oh and remember - every major news station is biased. If you don't believe that maybe we should start another thread on the topic.

'You see this? Know what this is? It's Dungeons and Dragons, and it is never, ever going away.'
Hmm...mixed emotions.

Of course, Christian Amanpour giving her "live report from Athas" would be a thing to watch.

The Chainmail news was a bit more interesting to me. Chainmail won the Origins "Best SciFi or Fantasy Miniatures Game" this year. Heh. Kudos, Hasbro! Big win!

Green Knight

First Post
Re: Re: rumor

noretoc said:
This is just another rumor I heard around town, but there is a sale. Aaron Spelling is going to buy it, and Shannon Dougherty is going to be the new spokeperson and model. Something about a chainmail bikini, that "accidently" slips off. I do know they will be running a new line called "charmed" in which all of the main characters from the TV show are statted. (I hear the witches are each level 9 enchantresses with psionics.) I can't wait to see the figures. They are supposed to be the size of barbie dolls and come with changeble armor. There will also be a 21 page handbook on story ideas. (I heard that it is just a collection of soap opera plots though so it should be cheap)

ROTFLMAO! But wouldn't the spokesperson be Tori Spelling?

*shivvers in disgust at the thought of Tori Spelling in a chainmail bikini, and it slipping off, accidentally or otherwise* :eek:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Xeriar said:

Wasn't he the one that bought Dairy Queen just because he liked their blizzards?

I don't know about that, but he did install himself as manager of the atlanta Braves for a game or two until the commissioner's office made him step down...

Writer@Large

First Post
How's this for a conspiracy thoery?

How's this for a conspiracy thoery?

The WIZARDS website has been acting up since about Wednesday night. Several pages have been down, including:

Dungeons & Dragons
CHAINMAIL Miniatures [a D&D brand name]
Star Wars

But, strangely, not:

d20 System
d20 Modern
Call of Cthulhu

Could it be that WotC has sold the Dungeons & Dragons name ... but KEPT the d20 system? Hmmmm ....

Or, I could just be paranoid. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads