D&D 5E "Make a Strength (History) roll."

Reynard

Legend
One of the tools available to GMs and players in 5E is non-standard combinations of ability scores and proficiencies. It doesn't come up very often in my experience, but sometimes odd pairings make for interesting moments in play -- or, rather, interesting moments in play call for the odd pairings. I remember having PCs make Charisma (Athletics) checks to entertain a crowd in the arena, and have sometimes let them make things like Intelligence (Stealth) to try and surmise how an assassin or thief infiltrated a crime scene.

Relatedly, I sometimes let players make checks with proficiency based on their backgrounds or their class (and choosing an appropriate ability score). The 5E proficiency list is narrow and specific and sometimes it is easier to lean on "secondary skills" from the AD&D days.

What are your thoughts on non-standard proficiency and ability scores?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I usually call for just the ability check and the players in my games add whatever proficiency they think applies to their roll, based on the description they already offered. (They cannot, however, continue to add description to get a proficiency to apply simply because I asked for a roll.)

Now if only I could get the regular character sheet on Roll20 to query instead of default to the standard ability (Proficiency).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What are your thoughts on non-standard proficiency and ability scores?
For me and my table, it really depends on the narrative. If the player can describe what their character is doing, and how they are using their physical might to assist with the research or recollection of a historical event, I might ask for them to make a Strength (History) check. (I have no idea how that would be possible or what that would even look like, but I'm open to the possibility.)

Across all of the editions I've played, I think 5E does the best job with "skill checks" and proficiencies. I like its flexibility and structure best.

Remove ads