• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Makeing new Duergar Ranger

Cascade

First Post
Curious, what does the cert do?

Steeder Mount: You have acquired a male Steeder from a Duergar trader as a unique pet, mount, animal companion or wildshape form. Your steeder is capable of carrying one Small or Medium humanoid with an exotic saddle.

It seems odd that this wouldn't fulfill the requirement for the Find Steed as it does for the Wildshape (both magical and have nothing to do with the physical mount itself).

...but alas it doesn't work well with the mounted combat feats as the mount is medium sized (and shouldn't be capable of having a medium sized rider anyway).

kalani

First Post
Thanks for the update Greg. I didn't want to give anyone false hope given the fact that spell effects were not specifically called out as an option.

Regarding the Steeder mount and the mounted combat rules, it works fine. The text of the certificate specifically states that it can be used by a mount by any medium or smaller character. Specific (the steeder cert) trumps general (mounts must be at least one size larger).

That is correct. We were given the okay to give out the male and not the female, so we still wanted it to be a usable mount for everyone, thus this particular steeder is "special"

Cascade

First Post
Thanks for the update Greg. I didn't want to give anyone false hope given the fact that spell effects were not specifically called out as an option.

Regarding the Steeder mount and the mounted combat rules, it works fine. The text of the certificate specifically states that it can be used by a mount by any medium or smaller character. Specific (the steeder cert) trumps general (mounts must be at least one size larger).

I got that. Not trying to be argumentative, but the weight rules don't work out for most cases. Do we just ignore the weight restrictions?
A dragonborne weighs 300#...

Lets take the intent of having a Duergar riding the cert'd steeder.
It's carry capacity is 225# (15 str x 15).
A typical Dwarf weights 150#. Add an Exotic saddle for another 40#. Thats 190# and you have only 25# for everything else (weapons, armor, stuff).
Even a rogue with just leather, a bow and standard items exceed the carry cap. Let alone trying something in bigger armor.

Most mounts work because they are Large and double their carry capacity.
If this was a mount designed for medium characters, it should be large.

No biggie, it is what it is...just not well thought out. But I appreciate the effort.

Cas

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads