• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Makeing new Duergar Ranger

Killoth

First Post
so what should my stats and skills be for a duerager beastmaster ranger. Im bad at choosing what spells and skills I should have and Im not sure how to do the point buy system. if any one could help me choose the best spells and stats to make this. Im at level 3 and trying out the ranger class. I like the idea of having a pet.

Last edited:

Dracoprimus

First Post
for a beginner, using the standard array[15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8] would probably be best(put the 15 in DEX[use with finesse weapons and ranged weapons], 14 in WIS[for spellcasting], play with the rest). Since you have to start at 0xp, and can rebuild your character anytime up to level 5, you can use the standard array, then tweak it later once you have a feel for the character and what you feel it needs.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I'd ask this question in the Optimization forum, being sure to point out that you're building the character for Adventurers League -- you'll likely get a faster and more comprehensive response there.

--
Pauper

Killoth

First Post
for a beginner, using the standard array[15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8] would probably be best(put the 15 in DEX[use with finesse weapons and ranged weapons], 14 in WIS[for spellcasting], play with the rest). Since you have to start at 0xp, and can rebuild your character anytime up to level 5, you can use the standard array, then tweak it later once you have a feel for the character and what you feel it needs.

I was thinking about him being more of a two handed weapon ranger less stealthy and more tanking with the pet flanking

Killoth

First Post
so I made my ranger a tank. Im gonna take the next three levels in barb to get the battlerager and the three after that Im going with fighter to get battlebaster. I have a giant wolf spider as my pet and Im planning on getting him some armor made to raise his ac a bit. so far I use him as support poisoning my targets wail I take them on with my mace.

RulesJD

First Post
As sad as this is to state, if you want to be a "pet class" your best bet is either Bard or Paladin. Why? Because they are the only classes that get access to Find Steed, by far the best summonable pet. Beast Masters get to be pretty frustrating from a pet control point of view.

Cascade

First Post
As sad as this is to state, if you want to be a "pet class" your best bet is either Bard or Paladin. Why? Because they are the only classes that get access to Find Steed, by far the best summonable pet. Beast Masters get to be pretty frustrating from a pet control point of view.

That's some interesting perspectives...

<Sorry if I hijack this thread but a similar concept for AL.>

Duergar Paladin using find stead but using the Steeder Mount cert from Gencon.
Any reason that that cert couldn't be substituted for the "mount" aspect of the spell?
Also, could I purchase the Find Steed scroll from Fai Chen's and use it before level 5 assuming I'd make my scroll use roll?

kalani

First Post
The steed itself specifically states that it can be used as a ranger companion/druid wildshape, but makes no mention of it being a legal target for the Find Steed spell. This makes sense actually, as the steeder is a flesh-and-blood creature (that can be killed), while the mount summoned by the Find Steed spell cannot be permanently killed (only dismissed).

Remove ads