• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a gunslinger character

Merky

Villager
I'm not sure if slinging guns is all that effective to make it worthwhile to build a character around it. Why not just sling stones or bullets? Seems more effective to me and will also have better range.

It's all about the flavour and the theme of the character. I've made some pretty "suboptimal" characters for RP and plot reasons, though I try to make sure they can pull their weight during encounters.

One thing I think of when people talk "gun fu" is that the shooters are almost always in motion. Sometimes, they move even if staying under protective cover makes sense.

The Warlock's Shadow Walk power would really play into that. So would the Elf power Fey Step.

Yup, that sounds like what I have in mind. Presently the arcane version of the character is a warlock who will dual wield rods with passive effects.

Yeah, the 'suboptimal' 4e characters are usually still pretty playable by most standards. I think you could go with something like an eladrin warlock with DIS and a couple cool rods. You could even flavor some blast powers as a hail of gunfire (though admittedly 'locks don't have a ton of those there are some). The result might not be seriously optimized but it would surely be at least a solid build if you get a couple decent items (which is the main fault of the PHB1 warlock, it definitely needs a couple things to kick it up to high gear, its kind of a difficult one to just build 'however you want').

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads