• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Making a magic item.

Clancey

First Post
Perhaps a clearer way to ask is: If you are using darkvision (just for the sake of the argument, the normal 60' kind), can you see a lit candle that is 71' away?

I would have to say that I pretty much would've said the same thing as "Silver Subscriber" - I just never thought about it. I think if I were a DM, I would rule that light would kill dark vision if it was a bright enough light - not sure I would do so in the case you describe because the amount of light isn't enough to overpower the dark vision. I say that going back to Nightvision shooting - the target is dimly lit to simulate a muzzle flash and it doesn't cripple the night vision. Of course, I never would've thought about it if you hadn't brought it up, so I am sure the next group I DM will have you to thank for the dark vision blindness if that ever crops up! ;)

After a little further thought, I would add that if there was a party with members who had dark vision and members without, the light produced to allow the non DV members to see would kill the DV for the others - even if they had 120' DV,

Last edited:

Yeah, it's a bit of an odd question without setting it up I suppose.

The normal range on darkvision is 60', and it replaces the normal spectrum of light with grey. Which could imply that a character using darkvision is effectively blind to anything 60'1" away, even if that object is lit up by something that is farther away.

Perhaps a clearer way to ask is: If you are using darkvision (just for the sake of the argument, the normal 60' kind), can you see a lit candle that is 71' away?

Of course. Darkvision doesn't supersede normal vision. It overlaps.

"Darkvision to X feet" just means "Always has dim lighting to X feet." It's useful to think of darkvision as being it's own invisible light source.

Beyond that, it's up to the DM to determine what effects, if any, glare has on a character with darkvision looking into a shadow. In some editions of the game darkvision and infravision were explicitly spoiled by brighter light sources, but that doesn't seem to be a rule anymore. The game says nothing either way, so it's up to the DM.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Isn't there a German equivalent to Meetup? I am new to my area, but found a gaming meetup in my new area. Perhaps if you posted a "seeking D&D game" with your general location in the various rpg forums, you could find a game near you. Plus, you aren't too far from Ramstein AFB if you don't mind playing with American G.I.s or their dependents.

I'm one of the G.I.s near Ramstein so definitely no problem playing with them. :)

I've tried posting here in the lfg section, on reddit, and tried meetup. I did find a couple of pathfinder players and some star wars saga/EotE players last year but a bunch of us have deployed/moved since then so I haven't been able to find a 5e group.
The only people who I know around here that are playing 5e are the guys who used to work for me and may again.

I've had great luck at every base I've been to until this time. Just can't seem to find the folks this time around.

Clancey

First Post
I'm one of the G.I.s near Ramstein so definitely no problem playing with them. :)

I've had great luck at every base I've been to until this time. Just can't seem to find the folks this time around.

Heh - I suspected as much, but try not to make assumptions. I was stationed in Schoeningen and Augsburg back in Cold War Germany. My Dad was a Zoomie.

How's your German? I bet you could find German players around your area - surely there's a gamestore in your area.

Anyway, good luck - hope you find a game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads