• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Making a magic item.

Clancey

First Post
Would casting a light cantrip on a rock give the rock the ability to
hit a creature only susceptible to magic damage?

I don't believe that's the intent, but my 2E DM ruled that Continual Light worked that way.

His logic was that some monsters required a magic weapon to hit, and others required a magic weapon of +1 or higher to hit, suggesting that there must be a difference between those two things. Since every magical weapon in the book also had a bonus of +1 or higher, he reasoned that any magic item that didn't have a bonus must count as a magical weapon with a +0 bonus.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Generally speaking, no. The rock isn't magic...it's still juts a rock. The rock isn't "enchanted" at all, it simply has a spell on it.

That said, some DM's do allow items with spell effects on them to be considered "magic". So definitely check with your DM.

My take: As light is a simple cantrip in 5e, I'd definitely rule that is isn't sufficiently 'magic' enough to qualify. I may allow a level 1 and 2 spell to count as "silver" or "iron" if the spell was appropriate (some kind of enhanced light spell for silver, or maybe an earth-type spell for iron). Level 3 or higher may count as magic on a case by case basis. I'd be inclined to let a spellcaster figure out some kind of alchemical "enhancement" that, when combined with a certain spell or spells, on a particular item, with a ritual performed in some specific way, give that item a temporary "only a [item], enhanced by the [ritual] of [somename] can so pierce the shell of the Beast of the Moor's".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Cernor

Explorer
Unless a spell says it makes a weapon magical... It doesn't. Although a case could be made for making weapons using the Shape Water cantrip (first animating the water into weapon shapes, then freezing it), as it would be a weapon created entirely with magic...

Would casting a light cantrip on a rock give the rock the ability to
hit a creature only susceptible to magic damage?

No.

A spell or ability must have a wording similar to the magic weapon spell or the Monk's Ki-Empowered Strikes ability to create a magic weapon.

Clancey

First Post
Thanks all for the input. I will still run it past the dm, but I was hoping there was a specific rule that I missed that would have addressed this in some way. My Rogue Assassin with Magic Initiate will be at quite a disadvantage unless he can find a magic weapon - especially since he thinks of himself as support in most battles and uses a crossbow as his main weapon. My DM is a real miser with magic. I did come across a Wand of Magic Missiles, but it was confiscated by a group of much higher level npcs who captured us. I'm hoping, once I reach a high enough level, to take it back from them.

BTW - the only reason I took Magic Initiate was to gain a familiar.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would allow it. It takes an action to cast Light. So you'd have one prepared prior to battle - a simple rock that does very little damage to begin with even as a sling stone. And then you're out (light can only be cast one at a time). So you'd need another action to re-cast it, and another action to sling it at a foe. That seems balanced, and it's a clever use of the cantrip. So sure, I'd allow it.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I would bet that most DMs would say "no", because based on an interpretation of implied intent that "magical weapons" are things that have a +1 or better bonus to hit. Now, I personally think that a +0 magical weapon is perfectly logical thing to exist, even more so with 5e flat math. D&D has not yet gone that way.

Even if we allow for such, whether "any object with any kind of magic acting upon it" is a "magical weapon" is an interesting question.

I like Mistwell's reasoning. And I would be inclined to open up avenues for "+0 weapons". So for your specific example, I would choose yes.

That said, I am uncomfortable with "any object with any kind of magic acting upon it" is a "magical weapon" kind of logic, because it may open up a loop hole for creating massive numbers of temporary magical weapons on the cheap.

Remove ads