D&D General Making the Verisimilitude Dragon

MGibster

Legend
Verisimilitude is not realism (where "realism" is "functions according to real-world physics/logic"); go back and re-read the example in the OP of the other thread.
I'm thinking Vermithrax Perjorative from 1981's Dragonslayer. Most of us know something as big as a dragon can't fly and how in the heck would it breath fire? But Vermithrax felt real which is what mattered. He was a large, menacing creature and that came across very well on the big screen. And he had the coolest dragon name ever.

I feel like sometimes what gets lost in discussions of verisimilitude isn't just the fantastic but how people behave. In The Walking Dead television show, in season 2, Lori Grimes feels the need to rush off to go find her husband and of course she ends up endangering herself. Now I don't mind when characters do stupid things, people do stupid things in real life all the time, but she rushed off to find Rick for really no good reason other than the plot demanded it. It didn't feel real.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It has to scream 'magic' every turn to remain in the air while flying or use its breath weapon. Only as a non-human, it has animal intelligence so it can't speak a language.

Mod Note:
The snarky jabs and commentary are not constructive to what the OP is trying to do.

You've been reported several times in the last few days, and addressed by a mod more than once. If you like red text and more, this road will get you that. So perhaps now is the time to change your approach to discussions.

Stormonu

Legend
I agree with @MGibster, and that Verminthrax is up there with a well-executed dragon. Alongside Vermy, I'd add Dragonheart's (the 1st movie) Draco [as a Copper dragon], and Smaug (the book and animated version). I'd also add the dragons of Reign of Fire, especially as a 1E style dragon that doesn't talk/cast spells.

Remove ads