Man, Lords of Madness are looking awesome!!

D'oh! I wish I had seen that before they all sold out....
Don't worry - he'll have more. Though I fear for the price..... (Although all the other preorders have fallen ever so slightly since I preordered yesterday :.-()

Edit: More minis up. Yikes!! $50 for the elder blue :( :(

Last edited:

Cleanthes

First Post
Re: what new minis I'd like to see, here's a few I wouldn't mind being able to plunk on the table (keeping in mind that I'm playing 3.5e and don't know if they've all been carried over to 4e, and I really use them only in my campaign):

-- A few more iconic fey creatures, but especially a pixie. I've always been surprised this has never made it into a set.
-- Skulks.
-- Like an earlier poster, I'd like to see a few more minis that aren't obviously waving a weapon around. A couple aristocrats would be nice, maybe a merchant; they could have weapons in belts or whatnot but not be waving them around. Or they could be described as spies, enchanters, illusionists or what have you that wouldn't necessarily rely on blades to do their damage. And I could use them as NPC's in all sorts of encounters, some combat oriented, some not. And how about maybe a bouncer?
-- More common skeletons, kobolds, zombies, and orcs. I was thrilled to see the skeleton, kobold, and orc in this set. More!
-- A common shocker lizard. Another one I'm surprised has never made an appearance.
-- More animals and vermin: baboons, common small spiders, a bat swarm, fire beetles, centipede swarm, stuff like that. Maybe an elephant rider? More familiars could be nice too. I know that a lot of animals can be found at stores like Michaels, and I wouldn't want WOTC to make stuff that just duplicates those, but there are some creatures that you can't really get at the right sizes, or indeed at all.
-- An assassin vine. Another one I'm surprised hasn't been done.
-- Demodands. Never a single demodand so far.
-- More common thug types -- not soldiers, not mercenaries, but thugs. Can't have enough of those.
-- Someone earlier mentioned tribesmen, be they Aztec or whatever. I want to second that.
-- Some kind of common ooze or slime that I could get a ton of for when they multiply.
-- Love the volcanic dragon in this set, now I want one that's Huge! Don't really expect it, though :-(
-- For the next Colossal or whatnot, how about the Tarrasque?

Here's hoping! Thanks for asking! And for the record, I really like what I've seen of the next set; even where I don't think I'll use them, the level of artistry that went into these seems better than usual, and sometimes really magnificent. (That hydra, OMG! I hope someone got a good bonus for that one!)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Don't worry - he'll have more. Though I fear for the price..... (Although all the other preorders have fallen ever so slightly since I preordered yesterday :.-()

Edit: More minis up. Yikes!! $50 for the elder blue :( :(

Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered the complete set. At $260 it seemed the best value.

Dausuul

Legend
Question for those more experienced in the ways of DDM releases--when does one generally get the best price? Pre-ordering, ordering at time of release, or waiting a while after release? (I've bought a lot of singles, but mostly well after the sets were released.)

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Question for those more experienced in the ways of DDM releases--when does one generally get the best price? Pre-ordering, ordering at time of release, or waiting a while after release? (I've bought a lot of singles, but mostly well after the sets were released.)

If you're buying singles, in my experience you will generally get the best price between months 1-3 after a release. After a month, all of the "gotta have it now" folks have mostly made their purchases, so any stock still left (which normally includes 90%+ or so of the figures) will be marked down according to supply/demand. (Note: this presumes sufficient initial distribution. If they don't ship enough cases to fill existing pre-orders, that upsets the whole timeframe.)

Of course, sometimes it's hard to be patient.... :)

auggest

First Post

That really depends on what your ordering. The way we set our prices revolves around an average we need to make. As some of the hot figures go up others go down by a corasponding amount to encourage them to sell. When we first list our preorders we generally set this amount we need to make about 20% above our normal markup average to account for any mistakes made in pricing (don't get me started on Mouse Droids :)). As we tweak prices and release aproaches we get closer and closer to what we need to make average and can begin to lower that 20%. In fact single prices for LoM have already fallen by slightly over 10% since preorders began, some figures have gone up by a good margin though (Elder Blue, Hydra and a couple of the Large VR's mostly).
So to answer your question, if you had ordred only those that went up you would be doing very well, if you buy a lot of various stuff it's better to wait a bit.
.......Andrew (aka auggie)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I got an ultra-rare at a FLGS for $15 today. :) :)

I'm thoroughly impressed with the figures I've seen from this set. I'd more or less stopped collecting when I got my Big Red, but Lords of Madness has pulled me back into the fold...
-blarg

Remove ads